Worlds pickiest kid

Old June 15th 05, 07:46 PM
Scott

Marjorie, I do have a daughter, and yes, she is more fashion conscious
than my sons - but I regard at least some of that as "teachable
moments" where we can discuss values - like, is your self worth
dependent on the value of your clothing? Do real friends shun you
because of labels? Is someone really worth knowing going to bully you
because of your pants or your shoes?

Was I the only one who got the post about the daughter
being uncomfortable in other clothing -- that is, it's
a comfort thing for her to want the...hmm.. was it Juicy
Couture? -- clothes and that Marjorie is looking for
other possibilities? How did this morph into Marjorie
only shopping for designer labels?

The BH and her sister like yoga pants from Lands End.
You might try there -- I'm not sure if they have kids
sizes. DD used to wear only LE 'cause the BH worked
there and the employee discount is to die for. But
alas DD's tastes are veering away from LE

I'm not sure where the prostitute comment came from - not me. I didn't
assume anything about specific styles.

Your comment "I'm SOOO not into allowing my DD (or DS for that matter)
to become a
geek outcast because I'm too cheap to buy what the other kids are
wearing." I suspect this is more about you than them. Your 12 year old
daughter has a clothing allowance several times what I have to spend
per child (unless I'm reading it wrong, its $1500 US per year for
routine stuff - and party clothes on top of that - right?). Phew.

This is probably a very YMMV thing. I'm sure you spend
$$ on things that Marjorie would say Phew about. I
wear clothes 'til they fall apart on me. DD is a real
clothes horse and spends ridiculous amounts of money
(read: $0) on cheap clothes. It drives me crazy.
But it's not worth fighting over. She's a great kid
and if this is all I ever have to worry about... Plus
she grows out of anything in about 2 months at this point.
Might as well grow out of cheap stuff

Scott DD almost 12 and DS 9

Old June 15th 05, 08:43 PM

animzmirot wrote:

It isn't size or style, it's FEEL. She only wants to wear yoga clothes, and
she only liked particular brands that feel comfortable for her. She's a tad
sensitive about clothing, just like her dear old mum. She doesn't like heavy
t-shirts, only the really really light ones, and she won't wear any pants
that have ties, buttons, or aren't very stretchy. She's discovered clothing
that she likes, that are comfy and stylish, and feel good on her. I don't
feel that this is a bad thing, per se, but the clothing she likes are
expensive and I'm looking for knockoffs.

I'd be concerned that most producers of knockoffs are going to go for
the same look and not get the same feel.

I wonder if you could buy fabric and have these made for your daughter?
Would probably not save any money you could end up with something a lot
better made and would likely last a lot longer.

-Jan

Old June 16th 05, 03:25 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
Scott wrote:

Was I the only one who got the post about the daughter
being uncomfortable in other clothing -- that is, it's
a comfort thing for her to want the...hmm.. was it Juicy
Couture? -- clothes and that Marjorie is looking for
other possibilities? How did this morph into Marjorie
only shopping for designer labels?

Well, Marjorie has been sending mixed messages and changing her
story throughout the thread. In her first post, requesting
website suggestions, she said:

I would like suggestions of web sites that carry hip, well made clothing.

There was *no* mention of comfort anywhere in that post. If comfort
is the primary concern, wouldn't it have made sense to at least mention
it as a criterion?

We went to National Jean Co this afternoon and the average price of a
pair of jeans was over $200.

If she was actually shopping for yoga pants, as she later claimed, what
was the point of complaining about the price of jeans?

Then she goes on to ask for knockoffs, which as others have mentioned are
likely to imitate a style in looks far more than in comfort.

In the post where she clarifies that it is all about comfort, she still
goes on to say:

Fourth, I'm SOOO not into allowing my DD (or DS for that matter) to
become a geek outcast because I'm too cheap to buy what the other kids
are wearing.

It doesn't sound like it's all about comfort to me.

It sure sounds like she buys into the notion that her child has to have
whatever clothes "everyone else" is wearing lest she suddenly become
a "geek outcast".

So... the discussion of not necessarily giving in to a teen's desire
for designer clothing still seems pretty on-topic to me. Even though
there is a perfectly understandable element of comfort, that's clearly
not all that is going on there.

--Robyn
..

Old June 16th 05, 06:30 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
animzmirot wrote:

*It isn't size or style, it's FEEL. She only wants to wear yoga clothes, and
*she only liked particular brands that feel comfortable for her. She's a tad
*sensitive about clothing, just like her dear old mum. She doesn't like heavy
*t-shirts, only the really really light ones, and she won't wear any pants
*that have ties, buttons, or aren't very stretchy. She's discovered clothing
*that she likes, that are comfy and stylish, and feel good on her. I don't
*feel that this is a bad thing, per se, but the clothing she likes are
*expensive and I'm looking for knockoffs.

Hmm. I've gotten some running-suit sorta dealies at Target that look
pretty similar to the Juicy Couture ones. Not that I've ever WORN a Juicy
one, so I can't say if they feel the same. I've gotten yoga pants there
too that are fine.

--
Hillary Israeli, VMD
Lafayette Hill/PA/USA/Earth

Old June 21st 05, 02:57 AM
Karen G

Have you checked out the local dance supply stores or dance catalogs? I
know that Danskin and a couple of the other dance designers produce that
kind of clothing for practice-wear. I am guessing based on the quality
of their practice-leotards that it might be to your daughter's liking.

Karen G
mother of a 5 year old who must have seamless socks and tights

Old June 29th 05, 08:20 PM

animzmirot wrote:

It isn't size or style, it's FEEL. She only wants to wear yoga clothes, and
she only liked particular brands that feel comfortable for her. She's a tad
sensitive about clothing, just like her dear old mum. She doesn't like heavy
t-shirts, only the really really light ones, and she won't wear any pants
that have ties, buttons, or aren't very stretchy. She's discovered clothing
that she likes, that are comfy and stylish, and feel good on her. I don't
feel that this is a bad thing, per se, but the clothing she likes are
expensive and I'm looking for knockoffs.

I just bought three t-shirts at Target which were very light, so I'm
not sure that excluding Target on this basis makes sense. Has she
actually checked out the other stores, or is she excluding them out of
hand?

Beth