Breast-feeding pic on cover sparks backlash against Baby Talk magazine

Old July 28th 06, 06:47 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,alt.support.childfree,alt.gossip.celebrities,alt.parenting.solutions,rec.nude
FragileWarrior

Default Breast-feeding pic on cover sparks backlash against Baby Talk magazine

One mother who didn't like the cover explains she was concerned about
her 13-year-old son seeing it.

"I shredded it," said Gayle Ash, of Belton, Texas, in a telephone
interview. "A breast is a breast, it's a sexual thing. He didn't need
to see that."

A 13 year old boy? I submit that not only did he NEED to see it, he
probably has already seen a few in the flesh, Mom.
Old July 28th 06, 11:32 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
[email protected]

In misc.kids.pregnancy FragileWarrior wrote:
:
: One mother who didn't like the cover explains she was concerned about
: her 13-year-old son seeing it.
:
: "I shredded it," said Gayle Ash, of Belton, Texas, in a telephone
: interview. "A breast is a breast, it's a sexual thing. He didn't need
: to see that."

: A 13 year old boy? I submit that not only did he NEED to see it, he
: probably has already seen a few in the flesh, Mom.

I have a different take on this. The mother in Belton is looking at the
moral telescope from the wrong end. If her son had grown up seeing
mothers breastfeed their children in the first place, he (and she) would
not be nearly so likely to view it as a sexual object. Her ill-advised
action has numerous harmful consequences:
* it discourages breastfeeding by discouraging public breastfeeding,
* it encourage her son's view of the breast as a sexual object!
* it discourages the comfort of skin-to-skin contact by a mother for
her baby.
* it so encourage the very moral viewpoint she seems to object to.
She is so helping to create the very kind of problem she professes to
trying to solve. Her end result is to encourage objectification and
manipulation, and to discourage true loving kindness.

Sigh,
Larry
Old July 29th 06, 01:21 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,alt.support.childfree
Loner

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message

One mother who didn't like the cover explains she was concerned about
her 13-year-old son seeing it.

"I shredded it," said Gayle Ash, of Belton, Texas, in a telephone
interview. "A breast is a breast, it's a sexual thing. He didn't need
to see that."

A 13 year old boy? I submit that not only did he NEED to see it, he
probably has already seen a few in the flesh, Mom.

By that age, they should have seen a few toppless females by that time. In
Canada and some countires in Eurpoe now some movies that are rated 14+ have
a couple of seens were a woman takes her top off and her bra with it.

Loner

Old July 30th 06, 12:41 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Leslie

I so agree with you, Larry. I have 11 and 12 year old boys, both of
whom were breastfed, of course. They accept the sight of a breast
bared for feeding a baby without a second thought. They don't feel any
discomfort about it, and they have fond memories of nursing themselves.
They will make enlightened and supportive husbands in the future
because of it!

Leslie

Old July 30th 06, 01:43 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Marie

"Leslie" wrote in message
oups.com...
I so agree with you, Larry. I have 11 and 12 year old boys, both of
whom were breastfed, of course. They accept the sight of a breast
bared for feeding a baby without a second thought. They don't feel any
discomfort about it, and they have fond memories of nursing themselves.
They will make enlightened and supportive husbands in the future
because of it!

Thank you Leslie and other moms like you.
Marie of the 3 daughters