Question about Canned Food (posted on A.I.P as well)

Old January 11th 04, 05:00 PM
Rob, Laura and Izabella

Default Question about Canned Food (posted on A.I.P as well)

Is it alright to give Izabella say some beefaroni and ravaoli and so on, the
kind that comes in a can like chef boyrdee? We can buy the heinz kind here
for toddlers that goes in the microwave, the small yellow kinds but they are
like 2.99 each and its crazy to pay that for such a small can. So I was
wondering if its okay for her to have the kind we would eat?
She is 11 months old today, I just had though the only thing she really
should not eat was egg white, honey and wheat, is that correct?

--
Laura, TTC #2
Mommy to Izabella **Feb 10th, 2003**

Old January 11th 04, 05:15 PM
Buzzy Bee

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 17:00:29 GMT, "Rob, Laura and Izabella"
wrote:
but then again I might just have mucked up the snipping as usual!
She is 11 months old today, I just had though the only thing she really
should not eat was egg white, honey and wheat, is that correct?

Tinned ravioli will definitely have wheat in it (almost all pasta is
made with wheat flour). It may also have eggs in it. You're probably
OK on the honey. It may also have very high salt levels, which you
might worry about. For yourselves as well as for the baby.

I'd check the packet, the toddler stuff is probably wheat. It *may*
be corn pasta though thats not necessarily preferable.

Once you introduce wheat, its probably better to boil your own pasta
and add a low sodium or homemade sauce. Pasta sauce is pretty easy to
make in bulk and freeze and that way you *know* whats going in it!

Megan
--
Seoras David Montgomery, 7 May 2003, 17 hours: sunrise to sunset (homebirth)

To e-mail use: megan at farr-montgomery dot com

Old January 11th 04, 05:50 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

If you have a family history of allergy or of celiac disease (celiac, by
the way, goes commonly UNdiagnosed in the US), then you should hold off
on wheat for at least 10 months. And holding off on wheat that long is
sensible, anyway. But your daughter is older than that, so go ahead and
introduce it if you don't have pertinent risk factors.

I agree that canned foods for adults have lots of ingredients -- many
difficult to read on the label -- that aren't good for very young
children. But it won't be long before your baby is eating them anyway,
if canned foods are a regular part of your diet.

My two cents,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old January 11th 04, 05:58 PM
Rob, Laura and Izabella

thanks beth, we have no history of wheat allergies at all so I guess its
alright to go ahead and try them out. We dont eat alot of canned food, its
just there for a quick and simple meal when we are on the go that is all.
I wish I was in the USA so I could get the gerber foods that she could pick
yup herself to feed. But we have nothing even close to that here

--

"Beth Kevles" wrote in message

Hi -

If you have a family history of allergy or of celiac disease (celiac, by
the way, goes commonly UNdiagnosed in the US), then you should hold off
on wheat for at least 10 months. And holding off on wheat that long is
sensible, anyway. But your daughter is older than that, so go ahead and
introduce it if you don't have pertinent risk factors.

I agree that canned foods for adults have lots of ingredients -- many
difficult to read on the label -- that aren't good for very young
children. But it won't be long before your baby is eating them anyway,
if canned foods are a regular part of your diet.

My two cents,
--Beth Kevles

http://web.mit.edu/kevles/www/nomilk.html -- a page for the

milk-allergic

like me to reply.

Old January 11th 04, 06:34 PM
Mom2Aries

The tomato sauce is also a no no for some people. It's an allergen, and the
acidity of it can cause diaper rash in some babies... they say to hold off
on it until a year at least.

t.cable.rogers.com...

Old January 11th 04, 06:58 PM
Rob, Laura and Izabella

Well she will be a year in 4 weeks! I wonder does 4 weeks really make a
whole lot of difference?

Old January 12th 04, 06:19 AM
Mom2Aries

SOmetimes I just don't know. LOL. I've got the same problem with my son,
but finally let him have a little bit of it. We got diarheah that night.
:-(

But I've always wondered how much of a differen a few weeks makes myself...
even my anatomy book says "Such and such starts at a year" Is that exactly
at a year, or could it start earlier or later... ugh, confusing.

But I would think trying just a little bit at first, waiting a few days for
a reaction... might let you know. Otherwise, I'd go for it. This close to
a year, I don't think much is too harmful for her.
.cable.rogers.com...

Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 03:23 PM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane General 2 December 6th 03 03:28 AM