my baby refuses to eat solids

Old July 16th 06, 11:51 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

Default my baby refuses to eat solids

"Catherine Woodgold" wrote in message
Some babies live on just breast milk longer than others.
Not to scare you, but I read a story in a newspaper about
a girl 5 years old who had to live on just breastmilk.
Her parents fed her with breastmilk donated from others --
it didn't say why the mother couldn't supply enough, but
just seemed to imply that mothers stop producing milk
when their baby gets a little older. She was allergic
to other foods.

I think the reason for a decrease in supply as babies get older is not just
due to the reduced nursing, but also due to the shape of the palate, it
changes and the amount of milk they can get out reduces and correspondingly,
the amount of milk produced. So even if a toddler was nursing for all their
nutrition there would still almost certainly come a point when mum alone
wasn't producing enough.

Cheers

Anne

Old July 16th 06, 11:44 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Catherine Woodgold

Chookie ) writes:
In article ,
(Catherine Woodgold) wrote:

Chookie ) writes:
(*) It is amazing how little is known about BM nutrients. We can't say
that it is proven that BM has all the necessary nutrients, because quite a lot
of them have never been studied!

On the contrary. The fact that there have been a few people
aged 15 months or 5 years who were alive and had consumed
only breastmilk proves that bm can contain all the nutrients
necessary for life.

Actually, we can't. For all we know, the five-year-old might well be the only
one who survived that long on BM alone, and the others who have tried it are
all dead. We've all heard about the 90-year-old who smokes like a chimney --
that doesn't mean smoking contributes to longevity.

Perhaps we disagree on the definition of the word "necessary".
Apparently it's not necessary to quit smoking to reach age 90,
as I understand the word.

And we have to find the 5yo first. I can't find any references on Pubmed to
this case, but picking the right keywords is tricky. Do you have a reference?

No, sorry. It was a newspaper article, probably the Globe and Mail or
Ottawa Citizen, possibly some other Canadian newspaper such as
the Toronto Star. I'm pretty sure it must have been before
my children were born, so at least 17 years ago, but could have
been nearly 30 years ago.

As far as I've heard, people consuming
only breastmilk tend to be healthy and not to show symptoms
of deficiency -- provided the mother is in good health and
consuming nutritious food.

As far as we can determine, it's "provided the mother is not starving".

Dr. A. Kalokerinos found that in the parts of Australia where
he was practicing as a doctor, both bottlefed and breastfed
babies were suffering from severe vitamin C deficiency often
leading to death. He pointed out that it was obvious they
were deficient if you looked at the diets: the mothers were
consuming almost no vitamin C, and I forget what the bottlefed
babies were having but maybe it was cow's milk which has zero
or almost zero vitamin C. (IIRC, I wrote him a
letter pointing out that his book had wording that tended to
ignore or devalue breastfeeding, and he wrote back that his wife
had been in the Nursing Mother's Association and he'd learned
a lot in the time since he'd written the book.)

Mothers who live on McDonald's and BF have all the right nutrients in the BM
too.

That may be, but they might not have optimal levels of vitamin C in the BM,
for example.

Mothers in famine areas produce nutritionally inadequate BM. This is
important to know when faced with Ezzo material, which focuses on the
"quality" of the mother's milk in First-World situations where it is unlikely
to be at fault.

I disagree with you about iron.

I stated: "It does not contain adequate iron, but this is compensated for by
the baby's iron stores, which deplete some time after 6mo. And yes, the iron
in BM is easily assimilable, but at a year, the baby will almost certainly
require more iron than is available from his own stores or fom BM."

Which statement do you disagree with, and where is your evidence? Mine comes
from WHO literature reviews.

I disagree with "It does not contain adequate iron."
My opinion is based, not on a lot of evidence, but on
arguments in the INFACT newsletter, which were supported
with some evidence, and which I'm not taking the time to
try to find again at the moment, and on the idea that
evolution tends to lead to optimal amounts of nutrients
appearing in BM. It's also based on a suspicion that
the arguments in the other direction may suffer from one
of two fallacies: they might be based on measurements of
iron in the bm of mothers of younger babies; or they might
be based on an opinion about what the optimal amount of iron
is which does not necessarily conform to the actual optimum.

Nutrients such as vitamin C which can't be made in
the mother's body have to come from her diet. Vitamin C
doesn't tend to be stored in the body more than a few
hours or days (unlike calcium for example), so the
vitamin C in the bm cannot be more than what's in the
mother's diet. If she's consuming only very small amounts,
the bm will be deficient in it.

Just to show the complexities
that can happen: people noticed that pregnant women tend to
have smaller red blood cells, and that if they take iron
supplements during pregnancy then the red blood cells increase
to normal non-pregnant size. So, they recommended that pregnant
women take iron supplements. Leter, it was discovered that the
larger (normal-sized) red blood cells don't easily fit through the
tiny blood vessels of the placenta, and that the babies had
smaller average birth weight. So they went back to not
recommending iron supplements during normal pregnancy if there
are no iron-deficiency symptoms.

And how exactly is this related to my statements above?

This illustrates the last point in my explanation
of why I disagree with you, by demonstrating how a
widely-accepted opinion about what the optimal amount of
iron for a person is can turn out to be wrong.

Thanks for the interesting discussion -- and
for enlightenment on another thread about long-lasting
roofs.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue