Mistreatment of Classroom Animals?

Old June 16th 09, 07:17 PM posted to k12.chat.teacher,misc.kids
The Ranger[_3_]

Default Mistreatment of Classroom Animals?

I am chuffed at a recent experience.

I had multiple terrariums and aquariums set up throughout the classroom with
critters as complex as a red-eared slider and as simple as silkworms. My
philosophy behind this is quite simple: Exposure to everything and anything
offers understanding and empathy.

Imagine my annoyance at seeing the same child repeatedly attending to the
displays pounding on the glass or poking pencils through the mesh into the
living areas. Speaking to the child directly, working with his teacher, and
finally asking for a teacher-parent conference with the principal in
attendance (net-net: removal of priveleges to be anywhere near my animals)
was the escalation path.

Usually, talking to the child directly is enough but for a select few loss
of privelege or prompt denial is necessary. How can you give each child a
fuller experience without denying them an opportunity out of fear for the
animals?

The Ranger

Old June 17th 09, 12:12 AM posted to k12.chat.teacher,misc.kids
Rowley

I see people doing that to the tropical fish displays at Wal-mart...
some adults even....

Martin

Old June 17th 09, 03:16 AM posted to k12.chat.teacher,misc.kids
MarieD[_2_]

"The Ranger" wrote in message
. ..
Usually, talking to the child directly is enough but for a select few loss
of privelege or prompt denial is necessary. How can you give each child a
fuller experience without denying them an opportunity out of fear for the
animals?

We rescue reptiles and are into the reptile community and I have seen this
so many times! What I've seen work sometimes is to put an aquarium over the
child's head, at least covering his ears, and show him just how loud it is.
Marie

Old June 18th 09, 03:07 AM posted to k12.chat.teacher,misc.kids
dejablues[_4_]

"The Ranger" wrote in message
. ..
I am chuffed at a recent experience.

I had multiple terrariums and aquariums set up throughout the classroom
with critters as complex as a red-eared slider and as simple as silkworms.
My philosophy behind this is quite simple: Exposure to everything and
anything offers understanding and empathy.

Imagine my annoyance at seeing the same child repeatedly attending to the
displays pounding on the glass or poking pencils through the mesh into the
living areas. Speaking to the child directly, working with his teacher,
and finally asking for a teacher-parent conference with the principal in
attendance (net-net: removal of priveleges to be anywhere near my animals)
was the escalation path.

"My animals" ?

Perhaps if they were "the classroom animals" or "your (the kids) animals",
that responsibility of ownership would make the child take their health and
safety more seriously. Do they have names?

How old is the child? Have you tried giving him/her special responsibility
for their care, or having the kids take turns being "zookeepers" ? The
child is obviously drawn to the animals, perhaps you could redirect that
interest in a positive way, under supervision, of course. If the kids were
taught the behavior habits and needs of each creature, give them a checklist
and have them keep up with their care. Even a first-grader can keep a
simple journal, have them write a sentence or two every day about the
classroom critters.

Usually, talking to the child directly is enough but for a select few loss
of privelege or prompt denial is necessary. How can you give each child a
fuller experience without denying them an opportunity out of fear for the
animals?

Small animals and young children always need close supervision, there is no
way around that. If this is not feasible, consider reducing the number of
animals or introducing them late in the school year.

Old June 18th 09, 05:19 PM posted to k12.chat.teacher,misc.kids
The Ranger[_3_]

dejablues wrote in message
"The Ranger" wrote in message
. ..
I am chuffed at a recent experience.

I had multiple terrariums and aquariums set up throughout
the classroom with critters as complex as a red-eared slider
and as simple as silkworms. My philosophy behind this is
quite simple: Exposure to everything and anything offers
understanding and empathy.

Imagine my annoyance at seeing the same child repeatedly
attending to the displays pounding on the glass or poking
pencils through the mesh into the living areas. Speaking to
the child directly, working with his teacher, and finally
asking for a teacher-parent conference with the principal in attendance
(net-net: removal of priveleges to be anywhere
near my animals) was the escalation path.

"My animals" ?

"Our" is the pronoun of choice when introducing my class to the
opportunities I offer and "MY" when students from other classrooms make poor
choices (such as the child above.)

Perhaps if they were "the classroom animals" or "your
(the kids) animals", that responsibility of ownership
would make the child take their health and safety more
seriously. Do they have names?

The responsibilities of classroom pets are established from the very first
day. Naming said animals is also done when I receive new life forms from
science projects that are closing down (hence, silkworms, butterflies,
crayfish, snails) or pets that are no longer welcomed by their previous
owners (red-eared slider, leopard gecko, hermit crabs).

How old is the child? Have you tried giving him/her
special responsibility for their care, or having the kids
take turns being "zookeepers" ?

He is 7-yo going into second grade. He would randomly "stop by" after school
or during recess and lunch. He was not my student. Normally, since I am in
the classroom during these times, I don't mind having visitors that stop by
and watch the animals. Stopping by and pounding on the tank, poking
something at the animal, or yelling at it bother me immediately. Just
because you are the larger animal doesn't mean you have the right to
antagonize it.

BTW: I'm very good at my classroom management and task assignements.

The child is obviously drawn to the animals, perhaps you
could redirect that interest in a positive way, under supervision,
of course. If the kids were taught the behavior habits and
needs of each creature, give them a checklist and have them
keep up with their care. Even a first-grader can keep a simple journal,
have them write a sentence or two every
day about the classroom critters.

Kindergarteners can keep journals and learn to observe.
Kindergarteners can be taught animal care and behavior.
Kindergarteners can be taught responsibility and also learn about
cause-and-effect.

Again, that wasn't the issue with this particular child; the child was from
another class and I could not get through to them the importance of not
hurting things that did not do more than provide the opportunity.

Usually, talking to the child directly is enough but for a
select few loss of privelege or prompt denial is necessary.
How can you give each child a fuller experience without
denying them an opportunity out of fear for the animals?

Small animals and young children always need close
supervision, there is no way around that. If this is not
feasible, consider reducing the number of animals or
introducing them late in the school year.

Hmm. Indeed.

The Ranger

Old June 20th 09, 02:08 AM posted to k12.chat.teacher,misc.kids
dejablues[_4_]

"The Ranger" wrote in message
. ..
I am chuffed at a recent experience.

BTW, "chuffed" means quite pleased, delighted, or satisfied. Did everything
turn out ok?

Old June 20th 09, 05:40 PM posted to k12.chat.teacher,misc.kids
The Ranger[_3_]

dejablues wrote in message
"The Ranger" wrote in message
. ..
I am chuffed at a recent experience.

BTW, "chuffed" means quite pleased, delighted, or
satisfied. Did everything turn out ok?

Bummer on me and my reliance on spell-checkers: "I am chafed..."

It did and didn't. The child was not allowed to stop by after the the
principal-parent meeting. He simply wouldn't control his compulsions. If
that's what it took to get the message across, then that's the solution. I'd
have preferred otherwise as all the other students that often stopped by had
no issues and, I think, benefited positively from the experiences.

The Ranger