Seeking straight A's, parents push for pills

Old September 10th 06, 02:21 AM posted to misc.kids,misc.education,alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids.health,alt.support.attn-deficit
Raving

Default Seeking straight A's, parents push for pills

nimue wrote:
Listen, Raving Beauty, get the help you need. Okay?

1) A raving beauty, I am NOT.

2) I received considerably more than a dozen years of the finest
education that Canada has to offer.

3) I did NOT go to teacher's college, as did many; of who, I am
aquainted.

4) I am not an American citizen.

So you are a teacher, eh?

Figures ...

Old September 10th 06, 02:57 AM posted to misc.kids,misc.education,alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids.health,alt.support.attn-deficit
Raving

nimue wrote:
Why ask me a question when you are already providing the answer, oh sock
puppet?

I (IP 72.61.137.179 ) am not "Raving Beauty" (IP 76.0.225.11 ).

Regardless of being the ' same ' or different; we both post to Usenet
via Google which displays our IP addresses in it's header information.

Listen, Raving Beauty, get the help you need. Okay?

"Raving Beauty" claims that you are a 'vindictive narcissistic
witch/wizard'.

I happen to disagree with her.

At best, you are middling.
At worst, you are mediocre.

Old September 10th 06, 03:34 AM posted to misc.kids,misc.education,alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids.health,alt.support.attn-deficit
Bob LeChevalier

toto wrote:
On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 15:41:22 -0400, Bob LeChevalier
wrote:

"Linda Gore" wrote:
There is NO chance that persons who had to sacrifice EVERYTHING, most
especially their conscience and morals, just to get their degrees, then
get and keep their teaching license are not going to make damn sure their
students are forced to make the same damn sacrifices.

Feel free to not play the game. Feel free to starve. Rarely will
someone pay you for doing what you want instead of what they want.

That's life. Live with it.

Except that many of the people who don't play the game, make their own
rules, start their own businesses and do very well.

But they do play the game - a different game - it's just that it is
their customers and not their teachers that are "always right".

Admittedly, not everyone can manage this, but we should be creating
more opportunities for people to follow their true dreams, imo.

While I have some sympathy, the public schools are set up to train
kids the way the public wants them to be trained. People have the
freedom to refuse public education, but the public has the right to
decide what sorts of education that they will pay for (subject to
constitutional restrictions)

lojbab
Old September 10th 06, 03:47 AM posted to misc.kids,misc.education,alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids.health,alt.support.attn-deficit
nimue

Raving wrote:
nimue wrote:
Listen, Raving Beauty, get the help you need. Okay?

1) A raving beauty, I am NOT.

2) I received considerably more than a dozen years of the finest
education that Canada has to offer.

No, I meant psychiatric help.

3) I did NOT go to teacher's college,

Neither did I. So what?

as did many; of who, I am
aquainted.

4) I am not an American citizen.

So?

So you are a teacher, eh?

Uh, yeah, I made that clear from the gate.

Figures ...

God, just go get some help.

--
nimue

"As an unwavering Republican, I have quite naturally burned more books
than I have read." Betty Bowers

English is our friend. We don't have to fight it.
Oprah

Old September 10th 06, 03:50 AM posted to misc.kids,misc.education,alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids.health,alt.support.attn-deficit
nimue

Raving wrote:
nimue wrote:
Why ask me a question when you are already providing the answer, oh
sock puppet?

I (IP 72.61.137.179 ) am not "Raving Beauty" (IP 76.0.225.11 ).

Regardless of being the ' same ' or different; we both post to Usenet
via Google which displays our IP addresses in it's header information.

Listen, Raving Beauty, get the help you need. Okay?

"Raving Beauty" claims that you are a 'vindictive narcissistic
witch/wizard'.

I happen to disagree with her.

At best, you are middling.
At worst, you are mediocre.

Uh, RB just called me a vindictive narcissistic witch/wizard. She never
said if I was any good at it or not. You seem to think she did, hence the
response you doubtless thought was clever. It just shows you need to work
on your reading comp.

Old September 10th 06, 08:30 AM posted to misc.kids,misc.education,alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids.health,alt.support.attn-deficit
R. Steve Walz

nimue wrote:

Raving Beauty wrote:
nimue wrote:
toto wrote:
I am a
teacher and I can tell you that kids who get As usually do so
because they love learning.

Bull****.

Getting straight A's necessitates one PLAY THE GAME

What game? Doing all your homework?

---------------------
Yes, in part. Doing homework you already know how to do is not always
useful. Drill can be useful, but the student can determine this. And
knowing how to do the problems is evidenced by testing, not homework.

Writing all your essays?

-----------------------
Not always important. Some assigned topics are such that particular
students may simply have nothing to say about them.

Getting an A
average on tests and quizzes? Completing all your projects? Showing up to
class every day? That is what you are graded on.

----------------------
And that is NOT knowledge or skill.

That is not a game --
that is school.

------------------------
And school is a GAME. It always has been.

A) Feed teachers demand for narcissistic supply

I am not sure what you mean by that, and it's not the missing apostrophe
that is throwing me; it's the sentence structure. That sentence says that
teachers demand a narcissistic supply -- but of what? I suspect you mean
that students must appeal to the teacher's narcissism by offering praise and
flattery. Is that what you mean? If you want to be an effective
communicator, you have to write clearly.

--------------------------------
We all know how to SUCK UP. Quit pretending. And those who wish to
pretend that some courses of study are immune to this must be dense.

B) Appease teachers demand for form over substance

Wow, you think teachers are narcissistic and that there is something wrong
with demanding "form." Do you mean good grammar? Why is there this myth
that anything that is grammatically correct is necessarily shallow?

--------------------------
It doesn't have to be, but often it is. AND it's not REAL.

The
classics of world literature show how wrong that idea is.

---------------------------
SOME or MANY "classics" are classist! Classicality varies with
relevance by economic and social class.

It's ridiculous.
It's a lie people who cannot express themselves coherently tell themselves.

-----------------
Sometimes, but it is nonetheless true most often.

A grammatical wreck may have substance, but that substance may be lost
because the sentences make no sense.

---------------------
Sometimes, but other times it is simply that a different "grammar"
is being properly used!

C) Always subordinate the truth to being an A student

Oh, so A students have to lie. According to you, there is no way to tell
the truth and be a A student. You have a pretty low opinion of teachers and
A students. You think that A students lie to and flatter teachers (who are
dumb enough to fall for it) and that nothing these A students write has any
meaning. Sure.

etc.

--------------------------------
The hatred of teachers for what they have perpetrated cannot be
minimized or argued out of existence by the pretense that lots of
people just don't want to learn because it's HAAAARD! Teachers are
hated for good reasons. If you say can't think of any you're just
pretending.
Steve
Old September 10th 06, 08:42 AM posted to misc.kids,misc.education,alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids.health,alt.support.attn-deficit
Linda Gore

"Dave L. Renfro" wrote in message
ups.com...
Raving Beauty wrote (in part):

I PLAYED THE GAME long enough to get straight A's to graduate
HS with honors, and gain admission and graduate with honors
from a first rate University, --then, gain admission to
an exclusive grad school, then, obtain my professional
credentials, etc.

I don't understand how making vague and non-specific claims
about your background is supposed to carry any weight. I can
appreciate you not wanting your personal information archived
in usenet posts for anyone to see, now or several years from
now. However, you should realize that in this situation
all we have to go on is what you post. And frankly, your
posts do not provide very much support for the statements
you made above.

The only reason I'm bothering to say this is because
I was reading this thread and, all of a sudden, you
jumped on nimue's back for no reason at all.

Thank you for proving my point that getting straight A's necessitates
playing the game!

1) Feeding teachers demand for narcisistic supply

ROFLMOA!

Old September 10th 06, 09:10 AM posted to misc.kids,misc.education,alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids.health,alt.support.attn-deficit
Linda Gore

"Raving" wrote in message
oups.com...
Here is a further example of RB's artisanship: http://tinyurl.com/rncch
She never says if they were any good at it or not. ...

Err...my continued presence says it all.

Regards,

Indomitable :-)

Old September 10th 06, 09:40 AM posted to misc.kids,misc.education,alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids.health,alt.support.attn-deficit
Linda Gore

"nimue" wrote in message
Dave L. Renfro wrote:
Raving Beauty wrote (in part):

I PLAYED THE GAME long enough to get straight A's to graduate
HS with honors, and gain admission and graduate with honors
from a first rate University, --then, gain admission to
an exclusive grad school, then, obtain my professional
credentials, etc.

I don't understand how making vague and non-specific claims
about your background is supposed to carry any weight. I can
appreciate you not wanting your personal information archived
in usenet posts for anyone to see, now or several years from
now. However, you should realize that in this situation
all we have to go on is what you post. And frankly, your
posts do not provide very much support for the statements
you made above.

The only reason I'm bothering to say this is because
I was reading this thread and, all of a sudden, you
jumped on nimue's back for no reason at all.

Thanks. Man, this ng is incredible! I have never been so supported in my
life.

Subordinating the truth to wishful thinking is ENABLING ---not support.

Old September 10th 06, 10:26 AM posted to misc.kids,misc.education,alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids.health,alt.support.attn-deficit
Linda Gore

wrote:

"Linda Gore" wrote:
[...]

so why pretend you are teachers, when any teaching that takes place is
incidental to the real objective: breaking children.