I went to my internal medicine dr today..

Old April 16th 04, 03:22 AM
Jill

Default I went to my internal medicine dr today..

To discuss my panic attacks and feelings like I can't breathe. This is NOT a
panic/anxiety related post BTW! You know about my probs with panic attacks
and breathing and that sleep apnea was ruled out.

Well, sleep apnea is ruled back in after seeing my dr. It's kind of freaky.
She noted that my feet are swelling pretty bad, and she found that...so is
my neck and my throat/airways. Something back in my throat is swelled and
blocking my throat and it really IS that I can't breathe/stop breathing.
Ack!!!

She doesn't think I am having typical panic attacks...that I really AM
stopping breathing. oh yuck.........more on this later, but she can't treat
this the way she wants while I am pregnant.

Old April 16th 04, 05:04 AM
Tori M.

Well that was helpful.. I think.. did she tell you anything you could do in
the mean time?

Tori
m...

Old April 16th 04, 12:45 PM
Lizajane

This is NOT a panic/anxiety related post BTW!

Let me say that even if it were, that's ok. I know I may have seemed
critical the other day when you were talking about germs etc. and I
apologize. You should (like many said) feel free to express yourself
here like everyone else does. I am primarily a lurker, but feel I may
have hurt your feelings and caused you to censor yourself.

I am sorry you are having to deal with all this at this point in your
pregnancy. It is hard enough as it is. Feel better.
Old April 16th 04, 06:49 PM
Ilse Witch

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 02:22:52 +0000, Jill wrote:

She doesn't think I am having typical panic attacks...that I really AM
stopping breathing. oh yuck.........more on this later, but she can't treat
this the way she wants while I am pregnant.

Scary! Will they be doing any testing to find out what is causing it, or
do they already have an idea? I'm thinking allergies...? Good for you that
your doctor at least is taking it serious and not immediately did it off
as 'another panicky pregnant lady'.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (21m)

Old April 16th 04, 07:44 PM
Jill

"Ilse Witch" wrote
Scary! Will they be doing any testing to find out what is causing it, or
do they already have an idea? I'm thinking allergies...?

More then likely they will have me do another sleep study....what I wonder
is, I had one done withint a year before pregnancy, and it came up with
problems but ruled OUT apnea...but as I have mentioned, that night, I did
not have any symptoms of stopping breathing, like I do sometimes, that wakes
me up.

So I am wondering what the chances are of my having had sleep apnea all
along, and the sleep study I had missed it?? It makes perfect sense...I do
have sinus/allergies, but allergy remedies are not my miracle cure for
feeling like I can't breathe at night.

Unfortunately, the only thing I know fo they are planning to do is put me
back on a klonopin at bedtime. The other thing they can do for sleep apnea
is a CPAP machine but no one has mentioned this to me, I think for my
insurance to cover it, the sleep study would have to show apnea. Weird! I am
confused as to whether apnea can be temporary during pregnancy...I always
thought if you had apnea, you have it..but the dr thinks when my weight and
swelling go back down after pregnancy, I'll be better. Interestingly,
overweight is a risk factor for apnea but most of the people I know who
officially have it and use the CPAP are very think. Not all, but a lot of
them!