Pregnant and yeast infection :-(

Old July 15th 04, 11:59 AM
Steve & Erin

Default Pregnant and yeast infection :-(

I believe I have a yeast infection. I was taking acidophilus for it, and it
was going away but then doc said he would prefer I stop taking it as there
have been no studies to support its use with pregnant women. Doc said I
would have to ride it out, but it's making me miserable.There is only so
much yogurt I can eat. Does anyone have any suggestions? How long can I
expect it to last if I do nothing?

TIA-
Erin

Old July 15th 04, 02:59 PM
Mary W.

Steve & Erin wrote:

I believe I have a yeast infection. I was taking acidophilus for it, and it
was going away but then doc said he would prefer I stop taking it as there
have been no studies to support its use with pregnant women. Doc said I
would have to ride it out, but it's making me miserable.There is only so
much yogurt I can eat. Does anyone have any suggestions? How long can I
expect it to last if I do nothing?

A vaginal yeast infection? My midwife told me yesterday that over the
counter treatments were safe in pregnancy (the suppository or
cream, like Monistat). That'd clear it up in a couple of days.

Mary

Old July 15th 04, 03:46 PM
Shelly

"Steve & Erin" wrote in message
I believe I have a yeast infection. I was taking acidophilus for it, and

it
was going away but then doc said he would prefer I stop taking it as there
have been no studies to support its use with pregnant women. Doc said I
would have to ride it out, but it's making me miserable.There is only so
much yogurt I can eat. Does anyone have any suggestions? How long can I
expect it to last if I do nothing?

TIA-
Erin

((Erin))! You know, your doctor's advice makes no sense to me. Why would the
acidophilis in yogurt be safe, but not the caplets? I would think that if
acidophilis were not safe, we'd see tons of warnings out there not to OD on
yogurt while pregnant!

That said, I had a yeast infection during pregnancy, and my OB recommended
using Monistat 3. I did, and had no problems. I also took acidopholus while
nursing (to prevent a yeast infection while on antibiotics for strep ).
Both my doctor and the pharmacist said it was fine to take during nursing.
Why not ask your pharmacist if you are worried about the acidophilus? They
generally seem to have more knowledge about specific drugs than the doctors
do; after all, that is their specialty.

-Michelle

Old July 15th 04, 03:52 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Steve & Erin wrote:

I believe I have a yeast infection. I was taking acidophilus for it, and it
was going away but then doc said he would prefer I stop taking it as there
have been no studies to support its use with pregnant women. Doc said I
would have to ride it out, but it's making me miserable.There is only so
much yogurt I can eat. Does anyone have any suggestions? How long can I
expect it to last if I do nothing?

TIA-
Erin

Ask your doc about something called, IIRC, Mycostatin (or is it
Nystatin? I forget). IIRC it's safe in pregnancy. It's an antifungal
cream.
Old July 15th 04, 07:09 PM
Ilse Witch

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 10:59:55 +0000, Steve & Erin wrote:

I believe I have a yeast infection. I was taking acidophilus for it, and it
was going away but then doc said he would prefer I stop taking it as there
have been no studies to support its use with pregnant women.

As far as I know the regular miconazol treatment is perfectly safe in
pregnancy. You might want to check on that.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (July '02)

Old July 15th 04, 09:03 PM
Michelle Podnar

The OTC tx are fine during pg....I have battled one after another during
this pg. Make sure to not get the one day....3 days +, also if the YI
reoccurs, buy a different brand for the next tx because using the same one
back to back isn't effective.

--
Michelle P
Ava Marie July 14, 2002

Old July 20th 04, 06:07 PM
Kaybee

"Steve & Erin" wrote in message
I believe I have a yeast infection. I was taking acidophilus for it, and

it
was going away but then doc said he would prefer I stop taking it as there
have been no studies to support its use with pregnant women.

This makes no sence to me. Both my family dr and ob have me taking
acidophilus when I am on antibiotics. I get cronic sinus infections. When
I was told to take it by my family dr. (who doesn't like pregnent/nursing
moms to take any meds unless necesary) I asked if it was safe. He told me
that it is what is found in yogert.

Doc said I
would have to ride it out, but it's making me miserable.There is only so
much yogurt I can eat. Does anyone have any suggestions? How long can I
expect it to last if I do nothing?

I don't suggest taking it everyday ( I am far from being a medical doctor)
but you can take over the counter creams that you incert into the vagina to
get rid of the y/i. Have you talked to your dr about why you are getting
these y/i?

Good luck

Kay

TIA-