Update: Ear Piercing

Old July 18th 04, 08:23 PM
Tori M.

Default Update: Ear Piercing

"nina" wrote in message
I'm sure babies choke on earrings, but I;ve never known it to happen. My
daughters have screw back
earrings which they cannot remove. They dont bother them anyway, they seem
to accept them as a part of their body
and leave them alone.
I think my daughter cried for less than a minute when her ears were done.
She cries more getting her hair washed
than she did getting her ears pierced.

Same with my daughter. She cried for maybe 15 seconds after they did her
ears and I think 90% of the crying was because DH held her head still while
the 2 ladies peirced her ears. After they where done I showed her a mirror
and she was so enthralled with the "other baby" that she stopped crying..
She did not bother with her earing for about 6 months and then we lost a ton
of them :/ I just get the ones that are 9-10 pairs ofr $6.00 at Wal-Mart...
they are hypoalergenic. Nickle free I believe.
Now when I wash her hair she HATES to have her shampoo rinsed out but she
will sit still long enough for me to stick her earings in her ears... infact
if she finds one laying around she tries to stick um in herself and say
"Ear, Ear" Verry cute.!

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Xavier due 10/17/04

Old July 18th 04, 08:40 PM
Cadie

But make sure they know NEVER to try to remove them. I had them when I was
younger (6 or so, probably) and tried to take them out and screwed them the
wrong way and it took my mom 3 hours to get them out. It was painful. Not
sure why it was so difficult to unscrew them though... can't remember now.

Cadie
"nina" wrote in message
I'm sure babies choke on earrings, but I;ve never known it to happen. My
daughters have screw back
earrings which they cannot remove. They dont bother them anyway, they seem
to accept them as a part of their body
and leave them alone.
I think my daughter cried for less than a minute when her ears were done.
She cries more getting her hair washed
than she did getting her ears pierced.

"Amy" wrote in message
I see your point, but that isn't really my problem with ear piercing.

Yes,
think pierced ears look tacky on babies, but that is just a personal
opinion. I'm not against ear piercing in general, I asked to have mine

done
at 10, and have one piercing in one ear and two in the other. But I do

think
exposing a baby to a choking hazard like that, purely for cosmetic

reasons,
is irresponsible. And it seems unfair to cause a baby unnecessary pain

when
an infant is far too young to comprehend why it is being done. At 10, I
could appreciate the benefits of the short term discomfort I was
experiencing - but that was my choice, not my parents'. We chose to have

my
daughter's vitamin K administered orally as we decided she was already
getting stuck with enough needles for her size - hence we wouldn't stick

her
with more needles for cosmetic reasons. Besides, we think she is perfect

as
she is!

"nina" wrote in message
My daughter aned stepgranddaughter both have pierced ears.
My husbands granddaughter also wears a necklace, a breaclet and HOOP
earrings at 8 months.
While I think ear piercing is ok, the rest IMO is ridiculous.
Ear piercing isnt seen by everyone as Adornment For Women. Its part of

being
female. NOT
part of being adult, so it isnt an attempt to make children look like

adult
women. Little girls
wear little girl earrings. I remember having earrings that father

brought
me
from a trip to Africa, my mother
said they were too "grown" and I wasnt allowed to wear them. I finally

got
them from her when I was about
30! :0 )
I know people whose little girls wear tights and people who think

tights
are
like stockings and that little girls should
only wear socks. I know people who see little girls with their hair

worn
down and loose and they think that is inappropriate, that
little girls should wear their hair up, and that long loose styled

hair
is
for adult women. I know people who think the exact opposite, that

adult
women should wear their hair up and that children who do are being

overly
adult.
Earrings may be a sign and sybol of adulthood to you. But that doesnt

mean
they are to everyone who wears them.

"Amy" wrote in message
I don't see any of what you've said as prudish, or even too

traditionalist
Jill. I want the same for my girl....I want to make healthy,

sensible
choices for her until she's old enough to make her own, and then

just
try
and guide her to make the right ones for her. Most of all, I'd

rather
her
decisions were based on what she really, truly wants, rather than

based
on
pressure from a society that believes all women should look/act a

certain
way. Probably a little unrealistic and idealistic I know, but I

figure
it
doesn't hurt to start out aiming high.
Speaking of making decisions for them, my father came across a very

dated
book in his collection, with suggestions for christening

presents...one
of
them was a silver cigarette case! OMG.....like saying, 'to celebrate

your
birth, we'd like to make sure you die young'.

"Jill" wrote in message
.com...
she made me promise to never ever
use a "head garter" on her.. lol She said it was mean to put

them
on
and
they always seemed too tight...
____________________________

I hate those! I am not a fan at all of "baby decorations" and try

stick
to just hats and booties. I really hate ear piercings on babies

but
that
is
just my opinion, I wouldn't judge others for doing it but I sure

never
would. To me it just seems wrong to have it done for the reason

people
know have it done- because earrings look cute on babies, because

then
you
can buy them jewelry, so they won't have to have it done when they

are
old
enough to remember or to be scared, because all women should have
pierced
ears, etc. I have heard all of the above.

I am just strong in my beliefs on this I guess....I also don't

want
Rachel
to wear makeup until she is old enough, in her mid teens etc. I

get
really
disturbed at how people want their little girls to be like little

women
or
something, wearing makeup in elementary school, wearing bras in

first
grade
just for show, going to tanning beds, having their hair bleached

and
full
salon services- manicures, pedicures, eyebrow waxings. Not all of

those
are
THAT common but it creeps me out to see those little girls at the

mall.
Some
of that stuff should never be done IMO (lol..just me! like tanning
beds)...but most of it should wait until the teen years, and let

girls
be
kids! Low maintenance kids.

I guess I am traditional, or call me a prude etc. It's not that I

AM
prude
but it's that I guess, the girls I see who do this stuff, believe

they
have
to, either trying to be more grown up so early or because they are

given
messages that they have to fix themselves, that they aren't ok the

way
they
are. Once you are adult and do it because you like it it's ok but

just
disturbs me when kids do it?? I don't know why other than I just

don't
think
it's cute or necessary and think they try to grow up too fast and

with
shallow values.

My husband thinks Rachel will make me eat my words becasue I won't

be
able
to say no to her if she wants to wear makeup before I want her to

etc.
Lol
who knows.

But back to ear piercing, my philosophy is, when Rachel is old

enough
ask
for it, I will let her and will enjoy taking her to have t done as

mother-daughter bonding moment. I will let her as soon as she asks

me.
She
will probably want it done much earlier than I did, I was about
10...she'll
probably want it by about 5 or 6.

I won't be the hippest grooviest mom, but I won't flip out about

an
older
teen getting a belly pirecing or something-- but I do hate it when

kids
grow
up too fast!!

---

Old July 18th 04, 08:55 PM
Tori M.

"Cadie" wrote in message
But make sure they know NEVER to try to remove them. I had them when I

was
younger (6 or so, probably) and tried to take them out and screwed them

the
wrong way and it took my mom 3 hours to get them out. It was painful.

Not
sure why it was so difficult to unscrew them though... can't remember now.

Cadie

Your little fingers probably had a better grip on them then your moms normal
size ones.. This is why I dont like the screw on ones.. I would rather just
get the cheaper nickle free ones and then lose the earings 1 at a time.. lol

Tori
--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Xavier due 10/17/04

Old July 18th 04, 09:45 PM
nina

We replace the screw back ones with normal ones when they get older.
Actually, after the holes have healed,
we usually take the earrings out and they just wear them on special
occasions till they get about 8 or 9 and then
they are old enough to decide when they want to wear them and can put them
on themselves.

Old July 19th 04, 05:32 PM

"nina" wrote in message ...
We replace the screw back ones with normal ones when they get older.
Actually, after the holes have healed,
we usually take the earrings out and they just wear them on special
occasions till they get about 8 or 9 and then
they are old enough to decide when they want to wear them and can put them
on themselves.

Everybody has such different skin. My ears heal closed if I don't
wear earrings for a week, maybe two. I got earrings at 13 and
experienced no end of trouble with them until I was 23 and decided to
quit bothering. That's why I worry about piercings on babies -- you
don't know how their skin will react.

--
C, mama to twenty month old nursling