"Normal" recovery after "normal" birth -- lochia, clots, pain

Old June 13th 06, 06:07 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Default "Normal" recovery after "normal" birth -- lochia, clots, pain

I've been researching on the internet, and I can't get a straight
answer about what is "normal" and what is cause for a call to the
doctor, as far as bleeding, passing clots, and having pain when you're
approaching 2 weeks post-partum. Anyone know what really is "normal"?

I didn't even tear during my birth, but I'm still having a lot of pain
in the vaginal area from time-to-time (it's definitely there, and not
hemmorhoids). Plus, I'm still bleeding bright red and occasionally
passing a lot of clots, most very small but some approaching the size
of an egg. I know this kind of activity would be normal in the first
few days after birth, but I'm now 11 days pp. Is it still "normal"?

Thanks.

-Carlye
DS 6-2-06
DD 9-29-04

Old June 13th 06, 06:19 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

carlye wrote:
I've been researching on the internet, and I can't get a straight
answer about what is "normal" and what is cause for a call to the
doctor, as far as bleeding, passing clots, and having pain when you're
approaching 2 weeks post-partum. Anyone know what really is "normal"?

I didn't even tear during my birth, but I'm still having a lot of pain
in the vaginal area from time-to-time (it's definitely there, and not
hemmorhoids). Plus, I'm still bleeding bright red and occasionally
passing a lot of clots, most very small but some approaching the size
of an egg. I know this kind of activity would be normal in the first
few days after birth, but I'm now 11 days pp. Is it still "normal"?

I think bleeding and passing clots is normal for up to 6 weeks after birth.
It's normal for it to completely stop for a few days, long enough to make
you think it's over and done with, and then you do some heavy walking or
lifting or other semi-strenous activity, and it starts up again. I don't
know about the pain though. The fact that it's vaginal pain, and
intermittant, I would think is better than constant uterine cramping or
pain. You birthed a baby, it makes sense to me that your vaginal area is a
little in shock and ****ed off about that fact! : ) If you are unsure,
call or ask to be seen. Hugs.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Check out the family! -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest Become a member for free - go to Add Member to set up
your own User ID and Password

Old June 13th 06, 06:40 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Jamie Clark wrote:
I think bleeding and passing clots is normal for up to 6 weeks after birth.
It's normal for it to completely stop for a few days, long enough to make
you think it's over and done with, and then you do some heavy walking or
lifting or other semi-strenous activity, and it starts up again. I don't
know about the pain though. The fact that it's vaginal pain, and
intermittant, I would think is better than constant uterine cramping or
pain. You birthed a baby, it makes sense to me that your vaginal area is a
little in shock and ****ed off about that fact! : ) If you are unsure,
call or ask to be seen. Hugs.

Thanks, Jamie. I really did figure it was normal, but I'm amazed how
many sources out there say things like "bright red bleeding should
cease within about a week," and so I just wasn't sure. If I hadn't
just been in the ER over the weekend with mastitis, I probably would be
booking an appointment with my doc just to be on the safe side, but
frankly, I'm sick of doctors and hospitals and whatnot. Between Hale
and me, we've had four visits in the space of a week. So I will wait
at least another week and see if it tapers off, I guess. If only DH
didn't have to work 12 hour days practically every day, I'd be able to
spend a day in bed and see if that'd help things, but unfortunately,
that's just not a possibility.

Thanks again.

-Carlye
DS 6-2-06
DD 9-29-04

Old June 13th 06, 09:06 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

carlye wrote:

I've been researching on the internet, and I can't get a straight
answer about what is "normal" and what is cause for a call to the
doctor, as far as bleeding, passing clots, and having pain when you're
approaching 2 weeks post-partum. Anyone know what really is "normal"?

I had lochia for the full 6 weeks with both
kids. It went from bright red to dull red
to bright if I did anything mildly strenuous
(like driving) and cycled up and down for awhile.

The afterpains (uterus contracting back down
to normal size) lasted about a week or so. Hurt
like heck while nursing!!!

-- Anita --
Old June 13th 06, 10:25 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

carlye wrote:
I've been researching on the internet, and I can't get a straight
answer about what is "normal" and what is cause for a call to the
doctor, as far as bleeding, passing clots, and having pain when you're
approaching 2 weeks post-partum. Anyone know what really is "normal"?

It should start turning lighter in color. (the lochia) it goes from red
to pink to brown to yellow to white. I had retained placenta 3 times,
and all 3 times I passed a lot of clots and had lower abdominal pain.
I had some clots bigger than the size of my hand, and some smaller
ones. might be worth getting an ultrasound to make sure you're cleaned
out properly. my personal opinion, from having had retained placental
fragments 3 times..it sounds like it may be a possibility.

Old June 13th 06, 11:51 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

"Yiddishkeit" wrote in message
ups.com...
It should start turning lighter in color. (the lochia) it goes from red
to pink to brown to yellow to white. I had retained placenta 3 times,
and all 3 times I passed a lot of clots and had lower abdominal pain.
I had some clots bigger than the size of my hand, and some smaller
ones. might be worth getting an ultrasound to make sure you're cleaned
out properly. my personal opinion, from having had retained placental
fragments 3 times..it sounds like it may be a possibility.

I'll second this! I retained product after the birth of DS and kept passing
clots and the blood was bright red, plus I had abdominal pains.

While it could be nothing, I think it's better to check it out with a doctor
and maybe get an ultrasound to make sure you haven't retained anything. A
friend got put off by her doctor for weeks on end because he wouldn't do an
ultrasound for her, saying it was "normal". If it doesn't change to a
lighter colour, hurts and there's lots of clots, I'd demand to get it check
out. We finally talked this friend into demanding that the bleeding and
clots be checked and she ended up having a D&C after weeks of pain and
bleeding.

Old June 14th 06, 04:57 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Engram wrote:
"Yiddishkeit" wrote in message
ups.com...
It should start turning lighter in color. (the lochia) it goes from red
to pink to brown to yellow to white. I had retained placenta 3 times,
and all 3 times I passed a lot of clots and had lower abdominal pain.
I had some clots bigger than the size of my hand, and some smaller
ones. might be worth getting an ultrasound to make sure you're cleaned
out properly. my personal opinion, from having had retained placental
fragments 3 times..it sounds like it may be a possibility.

I'll second this! I retained product after the birth of DS and kept passing
clots and the blood was bright red, plus I had abdominal pains.

While it could be nothing, I think it's better to check it out with a doctor
and maybe get an ultrasound to make sure you haven't retained anything.

Thanks, Engram and Yiddishkeit. I appreciate the cautionary note, and
am certainly going to go see my doctor now if this doesn't change
within the next week. I've been under a lot of stress and have been
physically straining myself a lot (mostly just picking up and
manhandling my 30-pound DD -- I'm certainly not lifting weights yet!!)
and I want to give it a few days in case that's the problem. But you
both mention how lochia should change color -- I know this, but I'm not
finding a consistent answer to the "when" question. Do you know when
it should change from bright red?

Thanks!

-Carlye
DS 6-2-06
DD 9-29-04

Old June 14th 06, 05:26 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

"carlye" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks, Engram and Yiddishkeit. I appreciate the cautionary note, and
am certainly going to go see my doctor now if this doesn't change
within the next week. I've been under a lot of stress and have been
physically straining myself a lot (mostly just picking up and
manhandling my 30-pound DD -- I'm certainly not lifting weights yet!!)
and I want to give it a few days in case that's the problem. But you
both mention how lochia should change color -- I know this, but I'm not
finding a consistent answer to the "when" question. Do you know when
it should change from bright red?

Try he

http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/bab...ery/11722.html

They say it should be turning pinkish within a few days, then going to
yellow or white within a couple of weeks. Other sites say it can be up to 4
weeks, but gradually lightening. I'd guess that at almost 2 weeks post
partum you'd expect that a change in colour would have occurred, even if you
were going to experience lochia for 4 weeks rather than just 2.

The babycenter site says you should call a doctor if 4 days after the birth
you are bleeding heavily (saturating pads quickly) or passing clots bigger
than a gold ball (which matches your description of "size of an egg").

I've only given birth once so far so cannot comment on whether running
around after another child is going to result in bleeding and clots like
what you describe. I don't think you can wait until end of September or
early October for me to impart any wisdom gained then

Old June 14th 06, 11:15 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

I didn't even tear during my birth, but I'm still having a lot of pain
in the vaginal area from time-to-time (it's definitely there, and not
hemmorhoids). Plus, I'm still bleeding bright red and occasionally
passing a lot of clots, most very small but some approaching the size
of an egg. I know this kind of activity would be normal in the first
few days after birth, but I'm now 11 days pp. Is it still "normal"?

I'm a little surprised about pain in the vaginal area, had you said on the
perinium, I would not be surprised.

The bleeding sounds very normal, I got sudden clots around that amount
postpartum, I called the midwife, she said only to be concerned if it
carried on.

Personally I think the combo of the pain and the continued red bleeding with
no let up, I would want checking out.

Anne

Old June 14th 06, 12:05 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

carlye wrote:

Thanks, Engram and Yiddishkeit. I appreciate the cautionary note, and
am certainly going to go see my doctor now if this doesn't change
within the next week. I've been under a lot of stress and have been
physically straining myself a lot (mostly just picking up and
manhandling my 30-pound DD -- I'm certainly not lifting weights yet!!)
and I want to give it a few days in case that's the problem. But you
both mention how lochia should change color -- I know this, but I'm not
finding a consistent answer to the "when" question. Do you know when
it should change from bright red?

I think by 2 weeks post partum it should already be turning a bit
lighter, though you can still spot red a bit for a few weeks. bit if
you are still bleeding bright red consistantly 2 weeks post partum and
passing clots and having abdominal pain, it sounds a lot like retained
placenta. especially the abdominal pain is a sign

Thanks!

-Carlye
DS 6-2-06
DD 9-29-04