Holloween: The children of Atheism and Christians Share the same religious belief

Old October 24th 06, 07:23 AM posted to misc.kids
Chookie

Default Holloween: The children of Atheism and Christians Share the same religious belief

In article , Banty
wrote:

Halloween used to be an October 31 festival, a rollicking fun one.
Jack-o-lanterns were carved and set out. The biggest preparation was in
costumes. NOW, we have houses decked out by September 15 in a wierd
orange-purple-black, with doo dads everywhere, orange and purple lights up
just as thick as the red and green ones will be come November.

Gross! (And you can probably guess what I think of the Christmas lights.)

And the WORST thing is, all of these recently-inflated holidays now have HUGE
LIGHTED EIGHT FOOT BLOW UP LAWN BALLOONS which lay limp most of the time, and
they're the hokiest things since lawn flamingoes.

LOL! I suppose they'll be around here for Christmas this year. Aieeeee!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old October 24th 06, 07:53 AM posted to misc.kids
Chookie

In article .com,
"sscreen" wrote:

I have a hard time with Christmas as a "religious" holiday as well. I
would much rather the day be celebrating by exchanging gift than to try
to celebrate it as a birthday, when no one really knows what day Christ
was born.

shrug It is correct to describe Christmas as "the day we celebrate Jesus'
birth" rather than "Jesus' birthday". I have heard of people singing "Happy
birthday dear Jesus", but I think that's even hokier than Banty's inflatable
decorations!

Christmas will be a time to exchange gifts and talk about Santa Claus.
(Yes, I like the Santa Claus myth. I love the story of Saint Nicholas
going around his little town and giving presents out to the little
kids! Much better than celebrating with nativity scenes, etc.

Er, little kids? The legend I've heard is this one (here from Wikipedia):

A poor man had three daughters but could not afford a proper dowry for them.
This meant that they would remain unmarried and probably, in absence of any
other possible employment would have to become prostitutes. Hearing of the
poor man's plight, Nicholas decided to help him but being too modest (or too
shy) to help the man in public, he went to his house under the cover of night
and threw three purses filled with gold coins through the window opening onto
the man's floor. One version has him throwing one purse for three consecutive
nights. Another has him throw the purses over a period of three years, each
time the night before one of the daughters comes "of age". Invariably the
third time the father lies in waiting, trying to discover their benefactor. In
one version the father confronts the saint, only to have Saint Nicholas say it
is not him he should thank God alone. In another version, Nicholas learns of
the poor man's plan and drops the third bag down the chimney instead.[...]
People then began to suspect that he was behind a large number of other
anonymous gifts to the poor, using the inheritance from his wealthy parents.
After he died, people in the region continued to give to the poor anonymously,
and such gifts were still often attributed to St. Nicholas.

BTW, a
true Christian should be celebrating the death and resurrection Christ,
which is why he came here in the first place, to show his true self as
the Son of God, not the mortal, very human, aspect of being born.)

Dear me, and I've thought I was a 'true Christian' all this time!

We kinda need the Incarnation in order to have the Crucifixion and
Resurrection, you know! It's also worth meditating on the Incarnation itself,
just as it's worth thinking about the Trinity.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old October 24th 06, 01:11 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

Default Holloween: The children of Atheism and Christians Share the same

In article , Chookie
says...

In article , Banty
wrote:

It's all evil, I tell you. It's that strange American custom being
imported here by avaricious shopkeepers.

It's cultural imperialism of the worst kind, because this hideous
emphasis on All Hallows Eve is threatening the customs surrounding
Bonfire Night, when all good Englishmen and women "remember, remember,
the fifth of November...."

;-)

A little terror incident from four hundred years ago...

Better keep quiet about that, or They'll be round with the hot irons to find
out EXACTLY what you know about it...

Since a few hundred years have passed, maybe they'll be gentler about it and
just send me off to some god-forsaken country.

Banty

Old October 24th 06, 01:13 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article , Chookie
says...

In article , Banty
wrote:

Halloween used to be an October 31 festival, a rollicking fun one.
Jack-o-lanterns were carved and set out. The biggest preparation was in
costumes. NOW, we have houses decked out by September 15 in a wierd
orange-purple-black, with doo dads everywhere, orange and purple lights up
just as thick as the red and green ones will be come November.

Gross! (And you can probably guess what I think of the Christmas lights.)

And the WORST thing is, all of these recently-inflated holidays now have HUGE
LIGHTED EIGHT FOOT BLOW UP LAWN BALLOONS which lay limp most of the time, and
they're the hokiest things since lawn flamingoes.

LOL! I suppose they'll be around here for Christmas this year. Aieeeee!

Ah, the effects of our cultural imperialism on the world! What would you do
without us.

Banty

Old October 24th 06, 01:16 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article .com, sscreen
says...

I see no harm in kids going trick-or-treating and dressing up in
costumes. I grew up in a very Christian family, but some of the family
seemed to go to extremes. I remember one year when one of my cousins
decided to through a Non-Halloween party, focusing instead on what
"Christians" should believe for Halloween. This actually made me more
scared that night than the usual Halloween festivities that we would do
because her kids started running around outside that night trying to
"call out" the devil. They thought they were doing the "right" thing
according tho their mother, but I remember thinking, "just who do they
think they're asking to show up??" "Just so they could tell him they
didn't "like" his Halloween parties????

I have a hard time with Christmas as a "religious" holiday as well. I
would much rather the day be celebrating by exchanging gift than to try
to celebrate it as a birthday, when no one really knows what day Christ
was born.

Christmas was started when Christianity was trying to "force" their
beliefs on the pagans. To keep them happy, they took over a few of
their holidays and "turned" them into a "Christian" holiday.

So, in my little family, Halloween will be a time for
trick-or-treating, and dressing in costumes, maybe a hayride or
something.

Thanksgiving will be a time for the family to get together and enjoy a
huge meal that you probably need to wear stretch pants for. :-)

Christmas will be a time to exchange gifts and talk about Santa Claus.
(Yes, I like the Santa Claus myth. I love the story of Saint Nicholas
going around his little town and giving presents out to the little
kids! Much better than celebrating with nativity scenes, etc. BTW, a
true Christian should be celebrating the death and resurrection Christ,
which is why he came here in the first place, to show his true self as
the Son of God, not the mortal, very human, aspect of being born.)

Don't worry about that - they took over a different pre-Christian European
festival for that! And even kept the Goddess's name for it..

Banty

Old October 24th 06, 01:43 PM posted to misc.kids,alt.atheism,alt.religion.jehovahs-witn,free.christians,soc.culture.usa
Pendragon-Red

Josh Miles wrote:
Lieken wrote:
ON Halloween night when confronted by a masked, costumed youth making
the requesting threat, "Trick or treat," do you think it cute, just
a harmless occasion for children to enjoy themselves?

Unlike you hateful JWs, I see it exactly that way. Why do you hate people?

Why do you hate JW's?

Old October 24th 06, 02:41 PM posted to misc.kids
Penny Gaines

Banty wrote:
In article , Chookie
says...

In article , Banty
wrote:

It's all evil, I tell you. It's that strange American custom being
imported here by avaricious shopkeepers.

It's cultural imperialism of the worst kind, because this hideous
emphasis on All Hallows Eve is threatening the customs surrounding
Bonfire Night, when all good Englishmen and women "remember, remember,
the fifth of November...."

;-)

A little terror incident from four hundred years ago...

Better keep quiet about that, or They'll be round with the hot irons to find
out EXACTLY what you know about it...

Since a few hundred years have passed, maybe they'll be gentler about it and
just send me off to some god-forsaken country.

Yep, off to the colonies with you! Do we send you to Queensland or
Virginia?

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three
Old October 24th 06, 03:10 PM posted to misc.kids,alt.atheism,alt.religion.jehovahs-witn,free.christians,soc.culture.usa
¬Saba*Gracile¬

"Flushing Express" skrev i melding ...

"Michael Gray" wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 18:40:25 -0500, "Flushing Express"
wrote:
- Refer:

"John Baker" wrote in message

:
And this relates to the subject line how, exactly?

It doesn't. Jabbers is illegally plagiarizing the Watchtower material
again. It's a way to get people to READ what they know is tossed in the
trash in real life. Here on Usenet people READ the WT propaganda before
realizing what it is.

Oh ****.
Another jabber's nym?

Yes. He changes his nym several times a day since being reported to the police where he lives for
threatening those old people in Tn. He's doing it to make himself harder to track and dumpster
dive. He also sneaks past your killfiles by nym-shifting. The people on rec.ponds and
alt.free.newsservers had to killfile him by killing all crossposted messages that include these
groups. They got rid of Antonio.

Haha, they all got rid of the ****er hahah!

Old October 24th 06, 03:12 PM posted to misc.kids,alt.atheism,alt.religion.jehovahs-witn,free.christians,soc.culture.usa
¬Saba*Gracile¬

"Pendragon-Red" skrev i melding
oups.com...

Josh Miles wrote:
Lieken wrote:
ON Halloween night when confronted by a masked, costumed youth making
the requesting threat, "Trick or treat," do you think it cute, just
a harmless occasion for children to enjoy themselves?

Unlike you hateful JWs, I see it exactly that way. Why do you hate people?

Why do you hate JW's?

if they weren't buttheads and trying to turn other into buttheads all the time
then we wouldn't give you the time of day, you are not very interesting, ok?

Saba

Old October 24th 06, 07:14 PM posted to misc.kids,alt.atheism,alt.religion.jehovahs-witn,free.christians,soc.culture.usa
Josh Miles

Pendragon-Red wrote:
Josh Miles wrote:
Lieken wrote:
ON Halloween night when confronted by a masked, costumed youth making
the requesting threat, "Trick or treat," do you think it cute, just
a harmless occasion for children to enjoy themselves?

Unlike you hateful JWs, I see it exactly that way. Why do you hate people?

Why do you hate JW's?

I don't. I hate their religion because, like all religions, it's
destructive.

Unlike you, I don't hate anyone.