worried about the future

Old January 10th 04, 03:18 PM
Leslie

Default worried about the future

I wish more theaters (especially those in my neck o' the woods) would
offer a Mom's Matinee.

Wow, Molly, I think this is an awesome idea! Since William was born I have
only managed to go to about one movie a year. I take him to regular showings
when he is tiny, but after about four months I find babies get too interested
in the movie and start making noise.

As for those who say they wouldn't like a Moms Matinee because other people's
babies would distract them, I would say that surely seeing a movie with
distractions is better than not seeing it at all! And other babies don't
really bother me anyway.

Leslie
Old January 10th 04, 03:19 PM
Leslie

i had (and still am) having the same exact problem, expect for two
differnces...1) my baby is only 7 months old and they want me to
stop...and 2) they have wanted me to stop since cayden was 1 month
old.....

Well, good for you then for holding out and doing what is best for your baby
under so much pressure!

Leslie
Old January 11th 04, 04:53 AM
H Schinske

Belphoebe wrote:

DS's step-great grandmother sat next to me
while DS dozed post-bf, and she told me about a woman who nursed all of her
children to age two. She asked, "Can you imagine?" I smiled and nodded
"yes," and was pleasantly surprised when she went on to say how wonderful
she thought it was.

That's great! I remember a couple in their 70's or so noticing Peter nursing
once and saying, "Ah, he's having some lunch, good going," or something like
that, and then the man asked how old he was, and guessed something like two
years old. He was in fact much younger then, but it was obvious that they
thought it would have been fine and normal if he had been two.

I am probably getting the details wrong now, but something like that.

--Helen
Old January 12th 04, 11:26 PM
Dawn Lawson

Leslie wrote:

As for those who say they wouldn't like a Moms Matinee because other people's
babies would distract them, I would say that surely seeing a movie with
distractions is better than not seeing it at all!

While you're welcome to that POV, I don't consider movies and/or
television to be a critical part of my life, and if I DO decide to blow
$20 on a movie in a theatre, I want to be able to focus on the movie,and
not my or anyone else's kids.

Dawn, who doesn't consider distracted movies to be a treat at all.

Old January 13th 04, 05:06 AM
Leslie

While you're welcome to that POV, I don't consider movies and/or
television to be a critical part of my life, and if I DO decide to blow
$20 on a movie in a theatre, I want to be able to focus on the movie,and
not my or anyone else's kids.

I can see a matinee for under $5, so perhaps that's why my POV is different!

Leslie
Old January 13th 04, 06:20 PM
Belphoebe

H Schinske wrote:

DS's step-great grandmother sat next to me
while DS dozed post-bf, and she told me about a woman who nursed all
of her children to age two. She asked, "Can you imagine?" I smiled
and nodded "yes," and was pleasantly surprised when she went on to
say how wonderful she thought it was.

That's great! I remember a couple in their 70's or so noticing Peter
nursing once and saying, "Ah, he's having some lunch, good going," or
something like that, and then the man asked how old he was, and
guessed something like two years old. He was in fact much younger
then, but it was obvious that they thought it would have been fine
and normal if he had been two.

I am probably getting the details wrong now, but something like that.

Fortunately, I haven't received any negative comments about DS "still"
nursing (at 10 months)--but I don't get out much.

I was thinking recently that it would be easy to mistake him for an older
baby--when he was 7 months we met a 14-month-old who was about the same
size. If that happens, I hope the reaction we get is positive, too.
--
Belphoebe

Old January 14th 04, 08:12 PM

Dawn Lawson wrote:
While you're welcome to that POV, I don't consider movies and/or
television to be a critical part of my life, and if I DO decide to blow
$20 on a movie in a theatre, I want to be able to focus on the movie,and
not my or anyone else's kids.

What was mentioned in the post you're replying to is a Mom's matinee,
where the showing is explicitly advertsed as a baby and child-friendly
one. Our local theater has one, and it works out pretty well for them,
and the moms. I'd hope folks who didn't want distractions wouldn't show
up to the baby-friendly movie showing--ours can be hectic, but is pretty
laid-back and understanding.

JeninTX

Old January 14th 04, 09:07 PM

Dawn Lawson wrote:
What you didn't mention, and perhaps didn't see wwas that the post I was
replying to also said that "surely seeing a movie with
distractions is better than not seeing it at all"

I misunderstood a bit, and thought you were saying children and
possible distraction, at a movie showing that was specifically meant
to be welcoming to kids, were inappropriate. You were not saying
that, thanks for explaining.

A Mom's Matinee wouldn't solve any of my movie going "issues" and
frankly, seeing a movie with potentially a hundred+ distracted and
hectic kids seems an utter waste of an admittance.

Ah. Then you should not go. I enjoyed the movie I saw this way, one I
would not have gotten to see on the screen otherwise. Everyone has their
own standards for this sort of thing. Luckily, when I've gone, it hasn't
been a hundred kids!

If you want a social event, why go to one with an enormous-screen TV?
Is that how focussed we are as a society on visual candy?

Sometimes, I like to see a movie big. I go to movies for that. When I
want to be social, I do other things. The place that does the moms movie
here in my town specifically prohibits kids under six from all other shows,
and I'm glad they have the moms show so I can still go. It's not everyplace
you can watch a movie, order a beer, and have lunch!

JeninTX