Disaster plan in place for your family?

Old September 7th 05, 04:04 PM
cjra96

Well, at this stage, if disaster strikes it's my job to work. And DH
can deal with the homefront. Supplies? Nah, we don't have
them....funny, my work is preparing for the disasters and responding
when necessary (which is why last night was the first night's sleep I
got since Wednesday last week). But at home? I'm afraid we have no plan.

Old September 7th 05, 04:05 PM
Sidheag McCormack

Is anyone but me worried enough to be planning for the flu pandemic? This
is what really scares me, because the likelihood that it's going to happen
some time while DS is a child at home seems much higher than for any other
disaster to affect us.

There doesn't seem to be a great deal that one can plan for, but I am
trying to be in the habit of having a big enough stock of food that if we
didn't want to be in contact with other people for a few weeks, we wouldn't
starve; and DH and I have discussed under what circumstances we'd keep DS
home from nursery and refuse to go to work and be in contact with other
people. (Not as drastic as it might seem, since we work in a university,
and we reckon that asking universities to stop face-to-face teaching would
be one of the first steps government would take in the event of a pandemic.
Our research, and some teaching, can be done from home, though having to
look after DS would have an impact if the pandemic arrives any time soon!)
I have wondered whether we ought to get some kind of basic face mask to
allow us to go out while cutting the risk of droplet or hand-to-face
infection; DH and I could cope with simply staying inside for a few weeks,
but I don't think DS could!

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003

Old September 7th 05, 05:11 PM
Claire Petersky

"Sidheag McCormack" wrote in message
DH and I could cope with simply staying inside for a few weeks,
but I don't think DS could!

Just a thought -- I know of one family that got their kids out of diapers
coincident with winter storms knocking out the power. Their normal lives,
with both parents employed outside of the home, was quite busy, and no one
had the time to really work with the kids on toileting. When the weather
went bad and the power went out, both parents were at home with no
electronic entertainment, and they had four days of nothing better to do
than to work with their two-and-a-half-year old on toileting. Two years
later, another winter storm, and his younger brother got switched into
underpants, too.

If your kid was born in October (as it looks like in your .sig), maybe you
could hope for a late winter storm (a pandemic is more than I would want)
where you live?

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:

Old September 8th 05, 11:02 PM
Peggy Tatyana

"Claire Petersky" wrote:

The other set of plans in place have centered around setting up camp

at
home. We have two large 2.5 gallon jugs of fresh water stored, and

food for
about five days on hand.

We live in an area where earthquakes are always a possibility, so one of
the things we've done is to secure the water heater to the wall, so
there's no chance it would fall over. That means we have 40 gallons of
fresh water always available. Of course, the trick would be to remember
not to let more water in from the outside that could be tainted after
the earthquake happens.

Peggy

--
Many wise words are spoken in jest; but they don't compare with the
number of stupid words spoken in earnest. --- Sam Levenson

Old September 9th 05, 01:56 PM

Chookie wrote:
In article ,
"Claire Petersky" wrote:

I haven't had a chance to read the whole thread yet...just wanted to
make a coment or two.

In any case, considering Katrina's aftermath, I was wondering what people's
disaster preparation plans were, and if they've been changed.

We don't really have a disaster plan, because we live in roughly the middle of
Greater Sydney. We're a long way from bushfires, earthquakes, cyclones,
tornadoes etc. Our most likely scenarios a

House fire
Terrorist attack on infrastructure (anthrax in the water, destruction of gas
or electricity supply, bombing or road/railway)

This one does worry me a bit. I live a suburb of a major metropolitan
city in the US. My husband works downtown in one of the Federal
Buildings. My husband was supposed to be in NY on Sept 11 2001. Two of
his coworkers were in the WTC the night before it came down. They
watched it happen from their hotel room.

Deaths of both DH and me in car accident; survival of children

I think DH and I need to rethink this one. We each have our opinions
regarding the ability of our parents to raise the boys if something
happened to us. We had thought that DH's brother would be a good
option, but my brother recently became much more stable (married, now
with a little one of his own). He had been in a long term relationship
when DS1 was born, and no one in the family could stand my brother's
girlfriend(they broke up a couple of years ago).

DS1 and DS2 are too small to be drilled in fire escape procedure, so we
haven't started that yet. The thing we do need to do is rewrite our wills to
cover DS2, to make sure the boys go to the people we think they ought to go to.

DH and I have some things for various emergencies, but nothing is
remotely organized at the moment as a result of our attempts to pack
and store things as we get closer to our move (which keeps getting
further away instead of closer...it's now supposed to happen at the end
of December).

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.