Easier?!?

Old July 9th 03, 07:52 AM
Clisby Williams

Default Easier?!?

E wrote:

lots of snips...

Mama: No, that's OK. Formula is much easier anyway. I just gave up it
wasn't worth it.

OK, my stupid question for the day (remembering that I am LAZY, and don't do
something if I don't have to...)
How is ff easier than bf???!??
Edith

Because anybody can feed the baby; there's no need for you to do it all.

Clisby

Old July 9th 03, 06:17 PM
KC

I just posted to this, but I don't think it worked so I will try
again.

I think ff easier because I wouldn't have to sit for hours on end with
a baby attached to my nipple. I am sure for the people who feed for
10 minutes every 3 hours bf is easier, but many people have to spend
way more time bf than they would have to ff.

For me nights make bf good, but for others nights are very difficult
because they get backaches from it.

KC

Old July 9th 03, 07:23 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

Chotii wrote:

Nor do I have any desire to hand this kiddo, due
any week now, to anybody to feed. The emotional anguish alone would make it
*harder* for me, not easier.

At some point in the second week, someone suggested that it
wouldn't be the end of the world if Caterpillar had a bottle
of formula so I could have a break. But from my perspective
(being the only person around who had never even touched a
baby that small before, much less had experience dealing
with one), if anyone could feed her, then there was
absolutely nothing I was needed for.

Phoebe

Old July 9th 03, 07:45 PM
Dawn Lawson

Phoebe & Allyson wrote:

Chotii wrote:

Nor do I have any desire to hand this kiddo, due
any week now, to anybody to feed. The emotional anguish alone would make it
*harder* for me, not easier.

At some point in the second week, someone suggested that it
wouldn't be the end of the world if Caterpillar had a bottle
of formula so I could have a break.

One of the "top ten" ways that bfding relationships are sabotagued early on.
The reasons are honestly SO predictable why most women who don't manage to bfd
end up quitting (what a horrid sentence).

And why does the bottle have to have formula? I can see MAYBE a bottle of EBM.

Good for you Phoebe, for sticking with it. More important than anyone
else......you're the ONLY one that can make breastmilk specifically for your
daughter. I think that makes you pretty irreplaceable! ;-)

Dawn

Old July 9th 03, 07:57 PM
Stephanie S

"E" wrote in message
lots of snips...

Mama: No, that's OK. Formula is much easier anyway. I just gave up it
wasn't worth it.

OK, my stupid question for the day (remembering that I am LAZY, and don't

do
something if I don't have to...)
How is ff easier than bf???!??
Edith

I would venture a guess that ffing is easier than LEARNING to bf.

Old July 9th 03, 08:01 PM
Stephanie S

There are pros and cons to everything. I think about the diaper bag my frond
carried and I groan. I carried a diaper and a travel wipes container in my
purse. At first I carried an emergency backup outfit if I thought of it. My
son was not a spitter and rarelty blew a diaper.

So out and about, I definitely thought n ursing was easier. I never could
latch and go, but I could sit down and nurse anywhere. I was NOT good at
doing it discreetly. But I did not care. I did my best and anyone who did
not want to see could look elsewhere. It took a few seconds to get latched
and that was it.

I am a little nervous about the early days with my upcoming newborn with a
2.5 yo at home. I guess I will just have to get better at nursing on the
move. I hope my little girl digs nursing and makes it easy on me.

om...

Old July 9th 03, 08:12 PM
Elizabeth Reid

"E" wrote in message ...
lots of snips...

Mama: No, that's OK. Formula is much easier anyway. I just gave up it
wasn't worth it.

OK, my stupid question for the day (remembering that I am LAZY, and don't do
something if I don't have to...)
How is ff easier than bf???!??

I posted something about this in the other thread, but here goes:

It really depends on your situation. I think there are combinations
of circumstances that would make one or the other easier or
harder.

IMO, breast feeding is easier if:

* you don't go back to work, so no pumping or bottles required
* you don't have other duties that would be difficult to manage
with the lengthy nursing sessions of a newborn
* you have an ample supply
* you are able to nurse lying down, and/or asleep, and/or you have
a baby that sleeps some longer stretches early on
* you have no latching struggles, so no anxiety or pain

If, instead, you're in a lot of pain, or you've gone
back to work and are trying to nurse a baby every two
hours at night then function during the day with no
naps, ff might seem a lot easier.

The one thing that really distinguishes bottle-feeding from
nursing is that *someone else can do it*. If you have a
child who is waking frequently at night, your partner or a
family member can potentially do some feeding. If you can
pump enough to do this with breast milk, then that helps,
although this is advised against because of possible
interference with supply. If you can't, then it's
nurse or nothing. If you can't figure out how to nurse
lying down or the baby doesn't like that position,
you have to be awake for all the night nursing.

Personally: my son was combi-fed, because I couldn't
pump enough to keep him going during the day. I was
stubborn about night feedings though, and I never
let him have formula at night, although at some
point we had to start supplementing him during the
day even when I was there because my supply would
dip during the hours my body 'expected' him to be
away from me. He went through several growth spurts
while I was working, and BOY would it have been nice
in some ways to have been able to ask his night-owl
father to do some night feedings. I didn't do it,
because getting as much breastmilk as possible into
him was a priority for me, but it sure wasn't the
convenience of the thing that kept me going.

Beth
Sam 8/16/2002
Old July 9th 03, 08:37 PM

"Clisby Williams" wrote in message

E wrote:

lots of snips...

Mama: No, that's OK. Formula is much easier anyway. I just gave up it
wasn't worth it.

OK, my stupid question for the day (remembering that I am LAZY, and don't

do
something if I don't have to...)
How is ff easier than bf???!??
Edith

Because anybody can feed the baby; there's no need for you to do it all.

Clisby

ok, i guess... i just pump (no supply issue) and have bottles ready for
later. still seems easier/faster/less expensive than having to buy/mix,
etc. formula. not to mention the added benefit of feeding while i sleep
Edith