THE ATTENTION DEFICIT DILEMMA AND OUR CHILDREN

Old March 11th 07, 01:24 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,misc.kids
Jan Drew

Default THE ATTENTION DEFICIT DILEMMA AND OUR CHILDREN

http://www.mmdnewswire.com/content/view/1383/5/

THE ATTENTION DEFICIT DILEMMA AND OUR CHILDREN

March 7, 2007 Flower Mound, Texas. Recently, the Food and Drug
Administration (FDA) announced additional precautions concerning drugs
prescribed for Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) and Attention Deficit
Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). Apparently, the government agency is working
closely with drug manufacturers to develop new patient medication
guidelines, and the FDA is calling for enhanced product labeling about the
potential adverse affects. Among problems cited, adults with serious heart
ailments, and those with other risk factors were experiencing sudden death
in reports reviewed by the agency.

The FDA also cited a slightly increased risk (1 of 1000) for drug related
psychiatric adverse events such as hearing voices, unexplainable suspicion,
and becoming manic. This was also evident in patients without previous
psychiatric problems.

Dr. Steven B. DavidSon, the author of the Christ-based Counseling volumes,
and Director of the National Association of Certified Christ-based
Counselors explains that these are not new revelations. "Actually, it is
about time the Federal Government elevated the awareness about drugs used
for ADD and ADHD."

Given our Christ-based perspective, attention deficit has been with us since
the first human beings where distracted. No doubt, there are persons who
suffer severely, but parties need to seriously assess the risk-reward factor
when considering the use of psychiatric drugs, particularly with children."
DavidSon alludes to the work by authors Peter R Breggin and David Cohen in
their book, Your Drug Could Be Your Problem. How and Why to Stop Taking
Psychiatric Medications.

While the research concerning ADD and ADHD has been around for decades,
DavidSon said he observed increased diagnoses in the mid-1980s and into the
1990s. "Initially, young boys were primarily the ones diagnosed followed by
girls and then adults. I cannot speak for other practices, but I noted the
growth was consistent with the expansion and development of video games.
Additionally, you must consider the contributions of poor diet and
faulty-discipline to ADHD. Diet and discipline have declined over time. It
is a matter of record that our children have higher incidents of obesity,
and don't mention the condition of child-discipline in the nation."

DavidSon also briefly addressed conditions where parents are encouraged to
induce drugs where children are inattentive. Some parents lean toward
medicinal therapy with the hope of improving grade performance. "When asked
by parents about my Christ-based perspective, I suggest a simple observation
such as 'how long can your child play a favorite video game?' If the child
can play for extended periods of time and maintain scoring, the problem may
be an educational-delivery deficit, and not an attention functioning
deficit." DavidSon is adamant that people need to ponder these observations
with their physicians before determining to use drug therapy. He adds,
"Several years ago, I allowed my child to record satisfactory grade
performance as opposed to inducing drugs as recommended by an educational
psychologist. Thank God! Notwithstanding the short-term successes of
these drugs, one in one-thousand does not sound like high-risk for an
adverse drug reaction until your child is the one. Moreover, when the
adverse reaction is related to brain functioning, or gives a child the
impression that drugs should be administered for the slightest mental
slippage, I decided my child would catch-up with the head-of-the-class
later. It is a dilemma indeed trying to convince young people not to use
recreational drugs to improve their social acceptance and fun when their
parents encouraged drug-use for their educational acceptance. As Jesus would
say, 'those who have an ear, let them hear.'"

[to which I say AMEN!].

Old March 11th 07, 04:18 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,misc.kids
Jeff

"Jan Drew" wrote in message
news

http://www.mmdnewswire.com/content/view/1383/5/

THE ATTENTION DEFICIT DILEMMA AND OUR CHILDREN

March 7, 2007 Flower Mound, Texas. Recently, the Food and Drug
Administration (FDA) announced additional precautions concerning drugs
prescribed for Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) and Attention Deficit
Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). Apparently, the government agency is
working closely with drug manufacturers to develop new patient medication
guidelines, and the FDA is calling for enhanced product labeling about the
potential adverse affects. Among problems cited, adults with serious
heart ailments, and those with other risk factors were experiencing sudden
death in reports reviewed by the agency.

Excellent. The FDA is doing its job. Of course, these are known side effects
of the drugs.

The FDA also cited a slightly increased risk (1 of 1000) for drug related
psychiatric adverse events such as hearing voices, unexplainable
suspicion, and becoming manic. This was also evident in patients without
previous psychiatric problems.

Ditto. This is a good reason to stop the drugs.

Dr. Steven B. DavidSon, the author of the Christ-based Counseling volumes,
and Director of the National Association of Certified Christ-based
Counselors explains that these are not new revelations. "Actually, it is
about time the Federal Government elevated the awareness about drugs used
for ADD and ADHD."

Well, doctors should already know this.

Given our Christ-based perspective, attention deficit has been with us
since the first human beings where distracted. No doubt, there are
persons who suffer severely, but parties need to seriously assess the
risk-reward factor when considering the use of psychiatric drugs,
particularly with children." DavidSon alludes to the work by authors Peter
R Breggin and David Cohen in their book, Your Drug Could Be Your Problem.
How and Why to Stop Taking Psychiatric Medications.

That's true of any drugs. I have read one of Peter Breggin's books. He
clearly doesn't, IMHO, understand ADHD.

While the research concerning ADD and ADHD has been around for decades,
DavidSon said he observed increased diagnoses in the mid-1980s and into
the 1990s. "Initially, young boys were primarily the ones diagnosed
followed by girls and then adults. I cannot speak for other practices,
but I noted the growth was consistent with the expansion and development
of video games. Additionally, you must consider the contributions of poor
diet and faulty-discipline to ADHD. Diet and discipline have declined
over time. It is a matter of record that our children have higher
incidents of obesity, and don't mention the condition of child-discipline
in the nation."

Diet, family discipline, and video games don't cause ADHD.

This was also a period when more people because aware of ADHD.

DavidSon also briefly addressed conditions where parents are encouraged to
induce drugs where children are inattentive. Some parents lean toward
medicinal therapy with the hope of improving grade performance. "When
asked by parents about my Christ-based perspective, I suggest a simple
observation such as 'how long can your child play a favorite video game?'
If the child can play for extended periods of time and maintain scoring,
the problem may be an educational-delivery deficit, and not an attention
functioning deficit."

That's nonsense. Kids with ADHD can sustain concentration on some things for
a long period of time. In fact, this hyperattention is part of ADHD.

DavidSon is adamant that people need to ponder these observations with
their physicians before determining to use drug therapy. He adds,
"Several years ago, I allowed my child to record satisfactory grade
performance as opposed to inducing drugs as recommended by an educational
psychologist.

Educational psychologists are not qualified to prescribe drugs. That is up
to a physician to do.

Thank God! Notwithstanding the short-term successes of these drugs, one
in one-thousand does not sound like high-risk for an adverse drug reaction
until your child is the one.

Yeah, if you child has an adverse reaction, you stop the drug.

Get a clue man.

Moreover, when the adverse reaction is related to brain functioning, or
gives a child the impression that drugs should be administered for the
slightest mental slippage, I decided my child would catch-up with the
head-of-the-class later. It is a dilemma indeed trying to convince young
people not to use recreational drugs to improve their social acceptance
and fun when their parents encouraged drug-use for their educational
acceptance. As Jesus would say, 'those who have an ear, let them hear.'"

Drugs should only be given for ADHD after careful diagnosis eliminated other
possible causes, and after careful consideration. Behavioral approaches need
to used to, whether or not drugs are chosen as a good option.

Jeff

[to which I say AMEN!].

Old March 12th 07, 05:29 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,misc.kids
Jan Drew

"Jeff" wrote in message
> [...]

"Jan Drew" wrote in message
news

http://www.mmdnewswire.com/content/view/1383/5/

THE ATTENTION DEFICIT DILEMMA AND OUR CHILDREN

March 7, 2007 Flower Mound, Texas. Recently, the Food and Drug
Administration (FDA) announced additional precautions concerning drugs
prescribed for Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) and Attention Deficit
Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). Apparently, the government agency is
working closely with drug manufacturers to develop new patient medication
guidelines, and the FDA is calling for enhanced product labeling about
the potential adverse affects. Among problems cited, adults with serious
heart ailments, and those with other risk factors were experiencing
sudden death in reports reviewed by the agency.

Excellent. The FDA is doing its job. Of course, these are known side
effects of the drugs.

What were they doing in years past? Like last July?

O course Jeff knows that, but once again is eager to bless the FDA.

http://add.about.com/od/2006newsstor...boxwarning.htm

Dr. Steven B. DavidSon, the author of the Christ-based Counseling
volumes, and Director of the National Association of Certified
Christ-based Counselors explains that these are not new revelations.
"Actually, it is about time the Federal Government elevated the awareness
about drugs used for ADD and ADHD."

Well, doctors should already know this.

They are too busy proteting the FDA just like you are.

The FDA has known, but public awareness gave then little choice but to
*finally* get off their duff. Plus
they have been caught with their invested interest.

Given our Christ-based perspective, attention deficit has been with us
since the first human beings where distracted. No doubt, there are
persons who suffer severely, but parties need to seriously assess the
risk-reward factor when considering the use of psychiatric drugs,
particularly with children." DavidSon alludes to the work by authors
Peter R Breggin and David Cohen in their book, Your Drug Could Be Your
Problem. How and Why to Stop Taking Psychiatric Medications.

That's true of any drugs. I have read one of Peter Breggin's books. He
clearly doesn't, IMHO, understand ADHD.

ROTFLOL.

He tells it like it is.

While the research concerning ADD and ADHD has been around for decades,
DavidSon said he observed increased diagnoses in the mid-1980s and into
the 1990s. "Initially, young boys were primarily the ones diagnosed
followed by girls and then adults. I cannot speak for other practices,
but I noted the growth was consistent with the expansion and development
of video games. Additionally, you must consider the contributions of poor
diet and faulty-discipline to ADHD. Diet and discipline have declined
over time. It is a matter of record that our children have higher
incidents of obesity, and don't mention the condition of child-discipline
in the nation."

Diet, family discipline, and video games don't cause ADHD.

Diet, family discipline and video games all helped contribute to it.

This was also a period when more people because aware of ADHD.

You must have meant became, not because.

DavidSon also briefly addressed conditions where parents are encouraged
to induce drugs where children are inattentive. Some parents lean toward
medicinal therapy with the hope of improving grade performance. "When
asked by parents about my Christ-based perspective, I suggest a simple
observation such as 'how long can your child play a favorite video game?'
If the child can play for extended periods of time and maintain scoring,
the problem may be an educational-delivery deficit, and not an attention
functioning deficit."

That's nonsense. Kids with ADHD can sustain concentration on some things
for a long period of time. In fact, this hyperattention is part of ADHD.

Look up the symptomes of ADHD.

Old March 12th 07, 11:33 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,misc.kids
Jeff

"Jan Drew" wrote in message

"Jeff" wrote in message
> [...]

"Jan Drew" wrote in message
news

[...]

Thank you for reading my mind. You need to take more mind-reading courses.
You're not doing a good job of it.

The FDA is far from a perfect organization. I never said otherwise.

The FDA also cited a slightly increased risk (1 of 1000) for drug
related psychiatric adverse events such as hearing voices, unexplainable
suspicion, and becoming manic. This was also evident in patients
without previous psychiatric problems.

Ditto. This is a good reason to stop the drugs.

http://add.about.com/od/2006newsstor...boxwarning.htm

Dr. Steven B. DavidSon, the author of the Christ-based Counseling
volumes, and Director of the National Association of Certified
Christ-based Counselors explains that these are not new revelations.
"Actually, it is about time the Federal Government elevated the
awareness about drugs used for ADD and ADHD."

Well, doctors should already know this.

They are too busy proteting the FDA just like you are.

No. I am busy protecting kids, by letting parents get accurate information,
not the crap you spew.

The FDA has known, but public awareness gave then little choice but to
*finally* get off their duff. Plus
they have been caught with their invested interest.

Given our Christ-based perspective, attention deficit has been with us
since the first human beings where distracted. No doubt, there are
persons who suffer severely, but parties need to seriously assess the
risk-reward factor when considering the use of psychiatric drugs,
particularly with children." DavidSon alludes to the work by authors
Peter R Breggin and David Cohen in their book, Your Drug Could Be Your
Problem. How and Why to Stop Taking Psychiatric Medications.

That's true of any drugs. I have read one of Peter Breggin's books. He
clearly doesn't, IMHO, understand ADHD.

ROTFLOL.

He tells it like it is.

He tells it like he sees it. And what he sees is the royalties he gets when
his books sell.

While the research concerning ADD and ADHD has been around for decades,
DavidSon said he observed increased diagnoses in the mid-1980s and into
the 1990s. "Initially, young boys were primarily the ones diagnosed
followed by girls and then adults. I cannot speak for other practices,
but I noted the growth was consistent with the expansion and development
of video games. Additionally, you must consider the contributions of
poor diet and faulty-discipline to ADHD. Diet and discipline have
declined over time. It is a matter of record that our children have
higher incidents of obesity, and don't mention the condition of
child-discipline in the nation."

Diet, family discipline, and video games don't cause ADHD.

Diet, family discipline and video games all helped contribute to it.

And with a normal diet, normal family discipline and no video games, he
would still have ADHD.

This was also a period when more people because aware of ADHD.

You must have meant became, not because.

Yes, thank you.

DavidSon also briefly addressed conditions where parents are encouraged
to induce drugs where children are inattentive. Some parents lean
toward medicinal therapy with the hope of improving grade performance.
"When asked by parents about my Christ-based perspective, I suggest a
simple observation such as 'how long can your child play a favorite
video game?' If the child can play for extended periods of time and
maintain scoring, the problem may be an educational-delivery deficit,
and not an attention functioning deficit."

That's nonsense. Kids with ADHD can sustain concentration on some things
for a long period of time. In fact, this hyperattention is part of ADHD.

Look up the symptomes of ADHD.

Having difficulty with concentration does not mean that you can't
concentrate on some things. Video games is one of the things that people
with ADHD can concentrate on for a long period of time. TV is another.

I have heard people say, "My kid can't have ADHD because he can concentrate
on video games and TV for hours on end. If he didn't have to stop to eat and
pee, he would play from when he gets up until he goes to bed." Being able to
concentrate on TV or video games is called hyperconcentration, and is a
symptom of ADHD.

Jeff

Old March 12th 07, 12:40 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,misc.kids
Roman Bystrianyk

While the research concerning ADD and ADHD has been around for decades,
DavidSon said he observed increased diagnoses in the mid-1980s and into
the 1990s. "Initially, young boys were primarily the ones diagnosed
followed by girls and then adults. I cannot speak for other practices,
but I noted the growth was consistent with the expansion and development
of video games. Additionally, you must consider the contributions of poor
diet and faulty-discipline to ADHD. Diet and discipline have declined
over time. It is a matter of record that our children have higher
incidents of obesity, and don't mention the condition of child-discipline
in the nation."

Diet, family discipline, and video games don't cause ADHD.

This study maybe of interest to you. Enjoy your day.

Roman Bystrianyk, "Flax seed oil and vitamin C improve ADHD", Health
Sentinel, January 8, 2006,

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, or ADHD, is the most
commonly diagnosed behavioral disorder in children. The diagnosis
affects approximately 3-5% of school-going children. Studies have
established that certain long-chained fatty acids are critical for
normal brain development. Additional studies have show that
deficiencies or imbalances in these fatty acids contribute to ADHD.

Fatty acids, docosahexaenoic acid or DHA and eicosapentanoic acid or
EPA, are key for normal brain development and found in large amounts
in fish oil. Alpha linolenic acid, or ALA, is a precursor fatty acid
to DHA and is found in large amounts in flax seed oil. Children can
convert ALA to DHA, but the conversion is dependent on adequate
amounts of ALA and a low level of linoleic acid, or LA, in the diet.
LA is found in large amounts in corn, safflower, sunflower, and canola
oils.

A study in the January 2006 issue of the journal Prostaglandins,
Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids, examined 30 children diagnosed
with ADHD along with 30 healthy control children. They were given flax
oil supplements containing 200 mg of ALA along with 25 mg of vitamin C
two times a day for 3 months. A trained clinical psychologist analyzed
the children's behavior before and after the 3 months. The children's
blood cells were also analyzed before and after the supplementation to
determine the change in fatty acids.

It was found that at the end of the 3 months there was a "significant
increase" in the levels of both EPA and DHA. All ADHD measures were
improved after the 3 months. "Individual scores of Inattention,
Impulsivity, Restlessness and Self-Control reduced significantly post-
supplementation. SI [social problems] and I [learning problems] scores
constituting RPS [Related Problem Score] were found to be
significantly decreasing in the post-supplementation group."

All the children in the enrolled study completed the 3 months of
supplementation with no dropouts. The supplements were well accepted
by all the children and there were no side effects.

The authors conclude that, "All the symptoms like impulsivity,
restlessness, inattention, self-control, psychosomatic problems and
learning problems showed highly significant improvement. Social
problems and learning problems together constituted-related problems
score also dropped significantly. There is considerable evidence that
polyunsaturated fatty acid supplementation brought about improvement
in educational and behavioral problems among children with
developmental coordination disorder and reduction in ADHD-related
symptoms."

SOURCE: Prostaglandins, Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids,
January 2006

Old March 12th 07, 12:56 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,misc.kids
Jeff

"Roman Bystrianyk" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

This was a poor study design. The control group (normal kids) was different
than the treatment group (ADHD kids). The control group and the treatment
group should both have been kids with ADHD. The kids should have been
randomly assigned to one group or the other. And both groups should have
recieved pills (without anyone knowing what was in them).

The results of the study as done are useless.

Jeff

Old March 12th 07, 01:00 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,misc.kids
Roman Bystrianyk

On Mar 12, 7:56 am, "Jeff" wrote:
[...]

And perhaps this report ...

Jenny Hope, "Junk food diet 'makes children badly behaved'", Daily
Mail, May 3, 2005,
Link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...page_id=1 799

Diets high in processed foods are causing bad behaviour and learning
difficulties in children, scientists have warned.

They claim junk food stops the brain working properly, leading to
underachievement and a host of disorders.

Such foods not only lack the vitamins, minerals and essential fatty
acids that boost brain power but actually reduce the body's uptake of
nutrients that improve concentration, a study has found.

Thousands of children given medication to combat attention deficit
disorder might be better off simply improving their diet, according to
the research.

The Oxford University study showed that giving children essential fats
found in fish and nuts could improve their brain power.

Their ability to learn was increased and their behaviour dramatically
improved by supplementing their diets with such fats.

Startling results

Startling results in children who were underachieving and in some
cases being disruptive were recorded after just three months.

The study involved more than 100 British children battling with
physical co-ordination problems.

They were given daily supplements rich in omega-3 essential fats that
are vital for brain development but have been reduced in the national
diet over the last couple of decades.

In the study, around 40 per cent of children given omega-3 supplements
made dramatic improvements in reading and spelling.

There was also a significant improvement in concentration and
behaviour, according to a report in this month's issue of the American
journal Pediatrics.

Researchers were led by Dr Alexandra Richardson, from Oxford
University's department of physiology.

"What we've shown is that you can improve behaviour and learning with
these oils," she said.

"Food affects behaviour. To ignore the role of nutrition is
indefensible. If you paid attention to diet you could really make a
difference."

Patrick Holford, who runs the Brain Bio Centre which tackles mental
health problems through nutrition, said: "We're seeing outrageous
imbalances in brain chemistry caused by the kinds of foods that sadly
millions of kids are eating, and no one's doing anything about it.

"These kids are digging their own graves with a knife and fork. We
know some fats found in processed and fried foods should be avoided.

"However, there are other fats that are essential and a deficiency can
negatively impact on a child's behaviour."

The study involved 117 children aged five to 12 in schools in County
Durham.

The children were of normal ability but underachieving and suspected
of having dyspraxia, a condition that affects co-ordination. It is
thought to affect at least 5 per cent of British pupils.

Even greater numbers have learning and behavioural disorders such as
dyslexia and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Half the
children were given omega-3 essential fats capsules for three months,
while the remainder were given "dummy" treatment with capsules of
olive oil.

Making progress

Those on omega-3s made up to ten months' progress in reading in three
months, compared with those taking olive oil who made normal progress.

When the children swapped treatments, there was a similar jump forward
for those transferred to omega-3s for the second three-month period.

After three months on the supplements, half showed such improvement
they were no longer classified as having problems.

In some cases, children improved their reading age by up to four
years.

Dr Richardson, who is also co-director of the Food and Behaviour
Research charity, said unhealthy dietary fats can actually displace
the healthy fats in the brain.

Known as trans fats, they are mostly found in processed foods such as
crisps, biscuits and cakes.

Many teenagers get 40 per cent of their calories from fat.

The researchers are worried that such poor diets could permanently
damage brain development.

Old March 12th 07, 02:49 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,misc.kids
John Palmer

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 11:33:40 GMT, "Jeff" wrote:

That's true of any drugs. I have read one of Peter Breggin's books. He
clearly doesn't, IMHO, understand ADHD.

ROTFLOL.

He tells it like it is.

He tells it like he sees it. And what he sees is the royalties he gets when
his books sell.

He does neither. He's a liar.

I still remember his book on ECT. He took the number of reported uses
of ECT in one area, and assumed *everywhere* in the US was *exactly*
like that areas. He then decided that it would be underreported, and
arbitrarily extended the number of uses to a given number that he
thought was appropriately impressive.

Now, it's possible that he's simply incompetent, unable to understand
proper methods of using statistics. However, he portrays himself as an
expert, while making such pitiful mistakes. You can't think of
yourself as an expert while making such mistakes; word gets back to
you, and if you're in any way honest, you'll check your work.

So, Breggin *is* a liar, even if he's merely pretending to be
something he isn't.

I have heard people say, "My kid can't have ADHD because he can concentrate
on video games and TV for hours on end. If he didn't have to stop to eat and
pee, he would play from when he gets up until he goes to bed." Being able to
concentrate on TV or video games is called hyperconcentration, and is a
symptom of ADHD.

I've most often heard the term "hyperfocus". It's not (as far as I
know) strictly speaking a *symptom* of ADHD, but it does happen quite
frequently.

(I'm not sure that it doesn't happen to ordinary folks from time to
time, for example.)

John Palmer
--
Everything I needed to know in life I learned in Kindergarten. Like:
Beauty has a beginning, and an ending, but always lives beyond its span,
Old March 12th 07, 03:04 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,misc.kids
Jeff

"John Palmer" wrote in message
On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 11:33:40 GMT, "Jeff" wrote:

That's true of any drugs. I have read one of Peter Breggin's books. He
clearly doesn't, IMHO, understand ADHD.

ROTFLOL.

He tells it like it is.

He tells it like he sees it. And what he sees is the royalties he gets
when
his books sell.

He does neither. He's a liar.

I am not a mind reader. I doubt you are. While I believe his conclusions are
incorrect, I have no reason to believe that he is lying.

I still remember his book on ECT. He took the number of reported uses
of ECT in one area, and assumed *everywhere* in the US was *exactly*
like that areas. He then decided that it would be underreported, and
arbitrarily extended the number of uses to a given number that he
thought was appropriately impressive.

He used inappropriate methods. There is an old saying that says don't assume
(assume means make an Ass out of U and Me - except I am not assuming, so
leave me out of it) that something was done out of malice if it could be
explained by stuipidity.

Now, it's possible that he's simply incompetent, unable to understand
proper methods of using statistics. However, he portrays himself as an
expert, while making such pitiful mistakes. You can't think of
yourself as an expert while making such mistakes; word gets back to
you, and if you're in any way honest, you'll check your work.

Just because he thinks he is an expert doesn't make him one.

So, Breggin *is* a liar, even if he's merely pretending to be
something he isn't.

Incorrect. Breggin is merely in correct.

I have heard people say, "My kid can't have ADHD because he can
concentrate
on video games and TV for hours on end. If he didn't have to stop to eat
and
pee, he would play from when he gets up until he goes to bed." Being able
concentrate on TV or video games is called hyperconcentration, and is a
symptom of ADHD.

I've most often heard the term "hyperfocus". It's not (as far as I
know) strictly speaking a *symptom* of ADHD, but it does happen quite
frequently.

(I'm not sure that it doesn't happen to ordinary folks from time to
time, for example.)

It does. Kids without ADHD will play for hours on end.

Some adults too.

jeff
John Palmer