How much privacy do you give them?

Old November 9th 03, 02:12 AM
Wendy

Default How much privacy do you give them?

ColoradoSkiBum wrote:
: My four year old got a pre-approved offer yesterday. (It was associated
: with his Delta SkyMiles account. Apparently someone who flies as often as
: he does is a good credit risk.)

Wow! Well, tell him to have fun shopping then! No cosigning required?

I didn't open it to look!

Wendy
Old November 9th 03, 05:43 AM
chiam margalit

Wendy wrote in message ...
ColoradoSkiBum wrote:
The credit card companies have made it ridiculously easy for kids to get
credit cards.

My four year old got a pre-approved offer yesterday. (It was associated
with his Delta SkyMiles account. Apparently someone who flies as often as
he does is a good credit risk.)

Our dog Reuben was approved for a gold card a while back.
Unfortunately, despite years of trying to train him, he still cannot
sign his name, the dope, so the card offer remains on my dresser as
just something to show friends and neighbors. Although I think Rube
would be a great candidate for a gold card, as he has excellent taste.

Marjorie
Old November 9th 03, 06:58 AM
ColoradoSkiBum

: Our dog Reuben was approved for a gold card a while back.
: Unfortunately, despite years of trying to train him, he still cannot
: sign his name, the dope, so the card offer remains on my dresser as
: just something to show friends and neighbors. Although I think Rube
: would be a great candidate for a gold card, as he has excellent taste.

You could just get him to sign with an X and then you can sign as a witness.
Don't they do that on credit card apps? Or is that just on absentee
ballots?
--
ColoradoSkiBum

Old November 9th 03, 10:39 AM
Barbara Bomberger

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 07:22:05 -0500, "Sophie"
wrote:

Well, she may be the meanest mom in the lower forty eight, but Im the
meanest mom of all. Tv is for weekends only, during the school year.
No iffies, andsies or butskies..............Same with playstation.

Barb (who doesnt even get english tv anymore)

You win! Lol - seriously I don't blame you about Playstation.

And in all fairness, mine are older than yours.........they arent at
home during the day ever, and they have much more homework than yours
do in the evening.

When my kids were in kidergarten, they got an hour a day, as I recall
(this was half day)

Barb

Old November 9th 03, 11:06 AM
Clisby Williams

Barbara Bomberger wrote:

Well, she may be the meanest mom in the lower forty eight, but Im the
meanest mom of all. Tv is for weekends only, during the school year.
No iffies, andsies or butskies..............Same with playstation.

Barb (who doesnt even get english tv anymore)

No, no, no. We have no TV. No playstation. If they want wild and
wacky entertainment, they can listen to NPR.

Clisby

Old November 9th 03, 11:18 AM
Chookie

In article ,
Rosalie B. wrote:

In fact, I believe that my number one
job as a parent, above all else, is to keep my child as safe as
possible.

I really disagree with that last statement. THe number one job of a
parent is to bring a child up so that when they go out on their own
they can keep themselves safe.

I felt that way too; but would phrase it that one's number one job as a parent
is to produce an adult -- and I am not just talking about them making it to 18!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Jeez; if only those Ancient Greek storytellers had known about the astonishing
creature that is the *Usenet hydra*: you cut off one head, and *a stupider one*
grows back..." -- MJ, cam.misc
Old November 9th 03, 12:37 PM
Sophie

And in all fairness, mine are older than yours.........they arent at
home during the day ever, and they have much more homework than yours
do in the evening.

When my kids were in kidergarten, they got an hour a day, as I recall
(this was half day)

Barb

True. Mine do watch TV/videos in the day. However if they ask to watch it,
they have to watch it. If they get up and go play with other stuff, I turn
it off. It doesn't just stay on as background noise.

Old November 9th 03, 01:31 PM
Renee

Banty wrote in message ...
In article , Renee says...

One said that she would read their kid's mail to see what they were
spending their money on (bank and credit card statements), and I think
she meant her college age (over 18) daughter. Said it was her
responsiblity because her daughter still lived at home. Personally, I
think if the kid is over 18 and goes into debt, it's the kid's
problem.

It's pretty likely one or both parents have co-signed on this credit card. If
so, it's not the kid's problem.

It was pretty easy to get a credit card in the nineties when I was
in college. The credit card companies would set up tables and give you
free candy or soda if you filled out an application. I think as long
as you had a bank account with some money, you were approved.

Renee
Old November 9th 03, 02:05 PM
Donna Metler

If you see someone you don't recognize on your child's buddy list, why not
e-mail them yourself, and see what you think? I moderate a guild board on
neopets (which is by itself a highly moderated site) and about half the
board members are kids and teens-and I have had MANY chats with parents who
want to know who this 31 yr old woman their kids are chatting with is. I am
always more than happy to do this. I have also suggested that parents join
the board temporarily and monitor the chats themselves, and see what they
think. They can do this without it being visible that they're doing it
(although we now have a family where mother, father, and 12 yr old daughter
ALL have accounts and ALL chat regularly-because the parents discovered that
they enjoyed it, too). If someone is legitimate, they'll have no trouble
talking to parents.

Realistically, especially on chatboards, there should be no expectation of
privacy. One of the standard statements made about the internet is that you
shouldn't say anything you'd be embarassed to say in front of your boss-or
your grandmother-because you never know where it will end up.