[OT] Did anyone forego getting a high chair?

Old October 28th 03, 04:52 AM
iphigenia

Default [OT] Did anyone forego getting a high chair?

Sue wrote:

There are clear shower curtains. )

I know, the shower curtains (and liners), dropcloths, and vinyl sheets all
come in clear; the teddy-bear ones are ones I've seen in the baby aisle sold
specifically to go under high chairs : )

Another use - when your baby's young, you can use a clear shower curtain and
put the baby on the bathroom floor in its carseat while showering, so they
can still see you. I found this made getting a daily shower much more
feasible!

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Old October 28th 03, 04:53 AM
iphigenia

Belphoebe wrote:
I eat the same way, FWIW : )

I'm glad we're not the only ones.

Mostly I tend to take meals sitting at my computer : )

BTW, over at ATF, Tennant is trying to convince me that bf is the
"secondary function" of breasts in his 10-01 thread. Hmph! :P

Oh, he's in for it now!

Old October 28th 03, 05:15 AM
Dawn Lawson

SuperEeyore wrote:

She 18 months now, snip And what is there to
give in on, eventually she'll eat using a spoon, eventually we will go to
restarants when she is able to control more impulse actions, and eventually
breastfeeding won't be her main source of food.

Wow.
I honestly don't mean to be judgemental, but she doesn't use a spoon at
18mo? Is there some point at which that ability SHOULD arise (for those
here who have more knowledge of this than I) or at which its lack
(perhaps coupled with high impulsivity) should trigger further
investigation?

I tentatively agree with Sue, I guess, in that I wonder if perhaps some
behavior shaping would be beneficial. It's not anti-AP to sit in her
own seat (whatever form that takes) and eat a meal. Just from your
posting, not knowing you or her, I hvae to wonder if she's countered
your AP with her own MC(manipulative childing) ;-))

Dawn, asking honestly and hoping not to need the handy canister of
flame-retardant ;-)

Old October 28th 03, 11:52 AM
Nikki

Sue wrote:
Yep I agree on both points. However, what I mean about properly, is
that the child should be able to feed himself instead of having mom
or dad always feed them, which is what I perceived going on in the
OP's situation.

Ohhhhhhh. The OP's baby is quite small. Luke was in a highchair at that
age. I fed him and he fed himself. Hunter was on my lap from the beginning
but he didn't really start eating until 10 months. He fed himself from the
beginning even on my lap. My older kids definately feed themselves :-)
Maybe my kids are unordinarily neat I guess I don't know??
--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old October 28th 03, 12:05 PM
Sue

Dawn Lawson wrote in message
Wow.
I honestly don't mean to be judgemental, but she doesn't use a spoon at
18mo? Is there some point at which that ability SHOULD arise (for those

here who have more knowledge of this than I) or at which its lack
(perhaps coupled with high impulsivity) should trigger further
investigation?

I tentatively agree with Sue, I guess, in that I wonder if perhaps some
behavior shaping would be beneficial. It's not anti-AP to sit in her
own seat (whatever form that takes) and eat a meal. Just from your
posting, not knowing you or her, I hvae to wonder if she's countered
your AP with her own MC(manipulative childing) ;-))

Dawn, asking honestly and hoping not to need the handy canister of
flame-retardant ;-)

Okay, that's exactly what I thought when reading Laurel's post. I have to
wonder why an 18-month-old cannot/doesn't want to feed herself and why she
can't sit in a chair and be happy with her independance. My way of writing
is lousy and I am sorry for not getting across what I truly want to say in a
clear manner. But I wanted to say is that I suspect that the child has
manipulated the parents to getting what she wants. If she were a younger
baby I could understand why she would need to sit in the lap of mom, but by
now the child has certainly learned that if she cries hard enough, mom is
going to give in. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but it would be something
that I would be working on to get the child to be more independent. Having
her sit in a chair for other positive experiences would certainly be
something I would be moving towards.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old October 28th 03, 12:10 PM
Sue

Belphoebe wrote in message
Yes, at this point we are mostly feeding him, though he has on occasion
grabbed the spoon to do it himself. This isn't so unusual at 7.5 months,

is
it? I mean the mostly being fed by a parent part.

Belphoebe

Well I guess what kind of solids he is getting at this point is determined
on you needing to feed him or not. Are you still pretty much feeding him
pureed mushy stuff? If you are, then yes having to feed him would probably
be less messy for you. Do you use two spoons, one for you and one for him? I
personally would let him have a spoon while you have a spoon to let him
have the experience of feeding himself. At almost eight months, the girls
were getting a lot more finger foods and pretty much were feeding
themselves, except for really messy things, but I still would let them have
their own spoon.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old October 28th 03, 01:38 PM
Belphoebe

"iphigenia" wrote in message
Belphoebe wrote:
I eat the same way, FWIW : )

I'm glad we're not the only ones.

Mostly I tend to take meals sitting at my computer : )

Heh. That's me. (Finishing oatmeal right now.)

Old October 28th 03, 01:44 PM
Tine Andersen

"iphigenia" wrote in message
Belphoebe wrote:
I eat the same way, FWIW : )

I'm glad we're not the only ones.

Mostly I tend to take meals sitting at my computer : )

/cultural difference on

This is only done in very poor families in Denmark (read: Cannot afford a
dining table). It's considered utterly American :-)

In my family we have a dining table, but no couch (and the TV is in the
basement with only mattresses in front of it). We always use the table when
we want to be together.

It's purely a case of difference in culture, but it's fun to read about
people I respect living in a way that I would consider sloppy around here.

/cultural difference off

Tine, Denmark

Old October 28th 03, 02:55 PM
iphigenia

DGoree wrote:

Hmmm. We're as American as it is possible to be, and we eat all our
meals together around the dining table. Perhaps this is a
*sub*cultural difference.

It'd be an interesting poll. In my family when I was growing up, the only
meal we sat down together for was dinner, and even that wasn't terribly
formal; there was often someone missing (usually my dad the busy lawyer, or
later, my stepdad the policeman, or me, off with friends or at work). Both
my parents have always worked.

Growing up that way, it would feel really odd to me to set up formal
mealtimes for just me and DS.

For the record, I do own a dining table, that's where my laptop lives : )