new baby coming -books for preschooler?

Old January 3rd 04, 04:31 PM
Karen

Default new baby coming -books for preschooler?

With new baby due end of April, I'd like to find some books for my 3 1/2
yo to prepare him a bit for the arrival and life with baby. He is at the
moment particularly unwilling to accept the idea that baby will be
nursing (he still nurses 1-2x/day). MIL gave ds a book for x-mas, but I
returned it as it showed baby being given a bottle and put in a crib,
neither of which we have ever done or ever will do, so what we need are
AP friendly books. ANything that includes breastfeeding, co-sleeping,
sling carrying, etc. I would appreciate any specific recommendations or
links to sites with lists of recommendations or books for sale.

Thanks in advance!

-Karen, mom to Henry 3 1/2 and someone due 4/24/04-

Old January 3rd 04, 05:17 PM
Jan Andrea

"Karen" wrote in message
link.net...
With new baby due end of April, I'd like to find some books for my 3 1/2
yo to prepare him a bit for the arrival and life with baby. He is at the
moment particularly unwilling to accept the idea that baby will be
nursing (he still nurses 1-2x/day). MIL gave ds a book for x-mas, but I
returned it as it showed baby being given a bottle and put in a crib,
neither of which we have ever done or ever will do, so what we need are
AP friendly books. ANything that includes breastfeeding, co-sleeping,
sling carrying, etc. I would appreciate any specific recommendations or
links to sites with lists of recommendations or books for sale.

"We Have a Baby" is good -- the kids are both gender-neutral, the family
could be just about any race, the baby is shown breastfeeding, and while
they don't touch the sleeping issues, there's no crib in sight -- I think at
some point the baby is sleeping in the parent's arms. There's also no
mention of sibling rivalry, which is nice -- Stephen has had none towards
Sophia, and I think it's partly because he doesn't know he's "supposed" to.
Most of the books I looked at in the library went "older child learns of new
sib, child is jealous, child gradually learns to appreciate new sib". I
didn't want to make him think he had to be jealous, KWIM? If your older
child is already feeling threatened, though, maybe one of those would also
be helpful.

Jan
--
Mum to Stephen, 22 May 2000
and Sophia, 2 October 2003

Old January 3rd 04, 06:36 PM
Sue

The Berenstein Bears- A New Baby is a nice story. It tells of what you can
do with a new baby.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

link.net...

Old January 3rd 04, 07:23 PM
Cheryl S.

"Karen" wrote in message
link.net...
With new baby due end of April, I'd like to find some
books for my 3 1/2 yo to prepare him a bit for the arrival
and life with baby. snip ANything that includes
breastfeeding, co-sleeping, sling carrying, etc. I would
appreciate any specific recommendations or
links to sites with lists of recommendations or books for sale.

_What Baby Needs_ by Sears has everything you're looking for.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 9 mo.

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Old January 3rd 04, 07:24 PM
Dave Leason

Hi there

I have recently got.....
I want a sister
before you were born
theres a house inside my mummy
a first look at where babies come from

I bought them all from amazon.co.uk and my 26month old loves them all!!
We are not actually expecting baby number 2 yet but she is so interested in
babies and where they come form we have started looking at the books and its
amazing how much she understands for someone so little!!

Hope that helps!

Kellie
mum to Ella-jai aged 2 yrs 2mths!

"Cheryl S." wrote in message
link.net...

Old January 4th 04, 04:25 PM
New York Jen

Jan, that's such a good point. I never thought of that before but now
realize that the books I have are pretty much ALL that pattern.

"Jan Andrea" wrote in message
link.net...

Old January 6th 04, 12:09 AM
Karen

I too would generally prefer books without the whole sibling rivalry
thing, not to deny any feelings he might be having, but moreso to not
give him ideas he didn't already have on his own (like additional
subjects to be jealous about) and to not reinforce any negative issues,
but just talk through them on our own if we can. At least, that's the hope!

-Karen, mom to Henry 3 1/2 and someone due 4/24/04-

Old January 6th 04, 08:01 PM
P. G. Chavez

Karen wrote and I snipped:

With new baby due end of April, I'd like to find some books for my 3 1/2
yo to prepare him a bit for the arrival and life with baby.

Check out _Hello Baby!_ by Lizzy Rockwell. It's on amazon.com.

-Patty, mom to Corinne (5.5y) and Nathan (3.5y)
and stepmom to Victoria (13.5y)
Old January 6th 04, 09:07 PM
Welches

Jan Andrea wrote in message
"Karen" wrote in message
link.net...
[...]

Totally agree on jealousy issues. Most books had 2 things I disliked.
1. The older sibling was almost always looked after by grandparents when
baby was being born. This wasn't happening, and I didn't want her to think
it would. I question how often this happens nowadays. She was staying with a
friend, which was fine, but if she'd expected granny to come, it might not
have been.
2. Jealousy. "I don't like my baby sister" was a typical line. The Usborne
book didn't have that, but it was ever so twee. It did have a picture of the
mother breastfeeding which I liked. It also had a lovely picture of the
parents getting the babies room ready. Mum was painting the cot-obviously
nesting. Dad was sitting in a chair with a cup of tea looking tired and
apprehensively eying up the baby clothes. As dd doesn't read much, I did
change the words to suit her. As you said, I didn't want to introduce the
idea that she might be jealous, and so far she hasn't been. I expect issues
will come when #2 crawls, and/or disagree with what #1 says she wants to do.
Debbie

Old January 6th 04, 09:48 PM
Sophie

Totally agree on jealousy issues. Most books had 2 things I disliked.
1. The older sibling was almost always looked after by grandparents when
baby was being born. This wasn't happening, and I didn't want her to think
it would. I question how often this happens nowadays. She was staying with

friend, which was fine, but if she'd expected granny to come, it might not
have been.

True for us. My mom came to visit when I had #2 and #3. She stayed at our
house with the kids. But mine are schedulded c-sections. Friends who just
spontaneously go into labor, send kids to friends or have the friend come to
their house.

2. Jealousy. "I don't like my baby sister" was a typical line. The Usborne
book didn't have that, but it was ever so twee. It did have a picture of

the
mother breastfeeding which I liked. It also had a lovely picture of the
parents getting the babies room ready. Mum was painting the cot-obviously
nesting. Dad was sitting in a chair with a cup of tea looking tired and
apprehensively eying up the baby clothes. As dd doesn't read much, I did
change the words to suit her. As you said, I didn't want to introduce the
idea that she might be jealous, and so far she hasn't been. I expect

issues
will come when #2 crawls, and/or disagree with what #1 says she wants to

do.
Debbie

None of my children ever said they didn't like their new baby brother. They
say it now (lol) but they never said it when the brothers were newborns. I
never noticed books said that. I only ever read "I'm a Big Sister" to
Charlotte. And like you said, I changed the words to whatever I wanted it
to say really.
Your last statement was true for us. Our problems came when #2 could crawl
and touch #1's toys. It wasn't an issue though when #3 did it.

Sophie
#4 due 7/18/04