intro (long)

Old February 17th 04, 10:21 AM
alissa

Default intro (long)

HI
I am 23 weeks with my second child due in June. I didn't have great success
breast feeding my DD and hope to do better this time round....after any
advise..
background: DD didn't attach at all during the 5 days in hospital, due to
shape and size (I won't get too graphic) . I was forced to bottle feed as
they refused to feed her any other way (tried nipple shields)...went home
without milk coming in and double pumped like crazy 3 hourly around the
clock,( I expressed regualrly from birth) I also took maxalon to increase my
supply which made me feel dead tired. I hardly needed to use any formula and
could just keep up with her. Tried over the next month to get her to attach
with and without shield. Finally took domperidone and had so much milk it
wasn't funny and she finally showed interest in breast feeding because it
came as fast as the bottle is my guess. So at 6 weeks I finally had her
fully breast feeding without a shield or needing comps. After taking the
course of Domperidone milk supply settled down and I stopped pumping after
each feed and just fed her on demand, trouble was she wanted both sides
every time. By 4 months she wasn't putting on weight despite me trying to
increase my supply ( drinking water, resting,pumping after feeds, feeding
hourly all weekend etc) for 6 weeks she still didn't put on weight and the
dr told me I had to give 1 bottle a day which she refused until she
discovered it came out faster then she totally refused to breast feed again
and that was the end of that.....
The only thing I can think I should of done was not to let her have both
sides and to feed her more often 1 at a time to increase my supply. I am
keen to breast feed.
Alissa
DD 21mths
DS due June 04

Old February 17th 04, 02:56 PM
Dagny

"alissa" wrote in message

The only thing I can think I should of done was not to let her have both
sides and to feed her more often 1 at a time to increase my supply. I am
keen to breast feed.
Alissa
DD 21mths
DS due June 04

I don't know first hand but isn't it the proper advice to feed at both sides
in a feeding to increase supply and to only feed one side to decrease
supply?

-- Dagny

Old February 17th 04, 04:28 PM
Mary W.

Dagny wrote:

"alissa" wrote in message

The only thing I can think I should of done was not to let her have both
sides and to feed her more often 1 at a time to increase my supply. I am
keen to breast feed.
Alissa
DD 21mths
DS due June 04

I don't know first hand but isn't it the proper advice to feed at both sides
in a feeding to increase supply and to only feed one side to decrease
supply?

Typically. And feeding on one side is often the advice for women with
overactive let down. But at the point when her baby wasn't gaining weight,
the OP seemed to think her supply was good. Feeding on one side
would have gotten the baby more hind milk, which is fattier and may have
helped with the weight gain.

To Alissa, you did a great job hanging on and getting breastfeeding
started. It should be easier next time (or so I keep telling myself!).
For your daughter, when you needed to supplement, perhaps
you could have used a sippy cup or even an open cup and thus
avoided the bottle preference and kept nursing (something to
keep in mind, although many babies switch between breast and
bottle with no trouble). You may want to go to a couple LLL
meetings and make some contacts so you have breastfeeding support
to turn to if you have trouble. You may also want to find a
certified lactation consultant who could help you if you ran
into trouble (mine was invaluable).

And if you run into trouble, post here. This group is a wealth of
information.

Best of luck!

Mary