HOW HIGH SHOULD A FEVER BE....

Old November 17th 03, 10:30 PM
jojo

Default HOW HIGH SHOULD A FEVER BE....

before you try to reduce it with Tylenol or Motrin?
I have heard that a certain amount of fever is beneficial,
but how much?

Does it also depend on the comfort level of the child?
He is 14 months old and has a cold/flu. his fevers have been about
101.2

thanks,
jojo

Old November 17th 03, 10:40 PM
Circe

"jojo" wrote in message
y.com...
before you try to reduce it with Tylenol or Motrin?
I have heard that a certain amount of fever is beneficial,
but how much?

Does it also depend on the comfort level of the child?
He is 14 months old and has a cold/flu. his fevers have been about
101.2

I never got really nervous about fevers in babies over 4 months or toddlers
until they were up over 103, although if the child seemed uncomfortable, I
always medicated (remember, they get aches and pains with fevers, too, so it
may not be the fever you need to relieve so much as the other discomforts).
The scariest fever I ever experienced was when Vernon was about your
toddler's age and registered a temperature of 107 and change. We tossed him
a tepid tub and it came right down, but THAT was frightening! Obviously,
after that, 101.2 wouldn't make me blink g.
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [20mo] mom)

"Rejuvinate your skin." -- Hydroderm ad

Daddy: You're up with the chickens this morning.
Aurora: No, I'm up with my dolls!

Old November 18th 03, 12:18 AM
Ericka Kammerer

jojo wrote:

before you try to reduce it with Tylenol or Motrin?
I have heard that a certain amount of fever is beneficial,
but how much?

Does it also depend on the comfort level of the child?
He is 14 months old and has a cold/flu. his fevers have been about
101.2

I usually go by the child's comfort level. If the
child is miserable, I'll medicate.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old November 18th 03, 03:04 AM
D. C. Sessions

In m, jojo wrote:

before you try to reduce it with Tylenol or Motrin?
I have heard that a certain amount of fever is beneficial,
but how much?

Does it also depend on the comfort level of the child?
He is 14 months old and has a cold/flu. his fevers have been about
101.2

It's been a while, but in general I didn't worry about waking
temperature until it got serious (103-104F) but would give
them something to make them comfortable enough to sleep.

--
| "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a |
| completely unintentional side effect. " -- Linus Torvalds |
Old November 18th 03, 03:40 PM
Ilse Witch

jojo wrote:
Does it also depend on the comfort level of the child?
He is 14 months old and has a cold/flu. his fevers have been about
101.2

I definitely go more by comfort than actual temperature (which I
measure in centigrade, so not much help there). If DS is warm and
very grumpy, clingy and crying a lot, I give him some tylenol to
make him feel better. But with just a moderate fever, or just the
grumpiness, I let him be. The only exception I make is when he
goes to bed with a moderate fever, then he gets some tylenol as
well, to make sure he sleeps well, since sleep is always good.

FWIW, moderate to me is a fever around 38-39 centigrade. When he
goes above 39.0 he gets a tylenol no matter what, since he often
has very rapid and high fever spikes when that happens.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (16m)

Old November 18th 03, 05:12 PM
Clisby

jojo wrote:
before you try to reduce it with Tylenol or Motrin?
I have heard that a certain amount of fever is beneficial,
but how much?

Does it also depend on the comfort level of the child?
He is 14 months old and has a cold/flu. his fevers have been about
101.2

thanks,
jojo

At that age and fever level, I'd give Tylenol/Motrin/generic equivalent
if the baby seems really uncomfortable, not because I find that a
worrisome temperature for a 14 month old. I'd be more likely to give
it at night, because IME it helps the child get a good night's sleep.

I wonder whether it's true that you can inherit a tendency to high
fevers. When I was growing up, all 6 of us kids would routinely have
fevers that high or higher with a simple cold. I don't think it even
registered with my mother that we *had* a fever until it topped 103.

Clisby

Old November 19th 03, 12:32 PM
Sue

Clisby wrote in message
I wonder whether it's true that you can inherit a tendency to high
fevers. When I was growing up, all 6 of us kids would routinely have
fevers that high or higher with a simple cold. I don't think it even
registered with my mother that we *had* a fever until it topped 103.

Clisby

It might. I had a tendency for very high fevers and it looks like my oldest
daughter has inherited that trait. Her fever at one time went to 105, and
while she was tired, she wasn't ER material, lol. My other two children
hardly ever run fevers. Go figure.

To the OP, I medicate if the child is obviously miserable or at night so
they can sleep better. I always go by comfort of the child and not what the
thermometer reads.

--
Sue (mom to three girls)