GM bonuses cut because of child support

Old October 24th 03, 01:21 PM
Angel

Default GM bonuses cut because of child support

I think that this is going way to far, Corporations should keep their noses
to them selves. I mean what the hell are NCP supposed to do live in a
freaking box. Regardless if the are paying on time or have arrears. I am
glad that my husband doesn't work for GM. We don't have enough money now.
Angel

Published October 17, 2003
Child support cuts GM bonuses
Many workers angry as they weren't past due

By John Schneider
Lansing State Journal

Thousands of GM employees who pay child support in Michigan and other states
found their $3,000 bonuses cut by $900 or withheld entirely this week.

Ingham County Friend of the Court Donald Rei-sig called it a "unilateral and
premature seizure" by General Motors Corp.

But GM officials say federal law, and the time constraints of the labor
contract employees recently ratified - which included the bonuses - forced
them to err on the side of excess.

About two-thirds of the money taken from 572 GM workers in Ingham County
alone - with the blessing of the state Office of Child Support - came from
people who are current in their payment or no longer under financial
obligation at all.

"This has to be illegal," said Allen McDaniel, a material handler at the
Lansing Car Assembly plant, who completed his support obligations a year
ago.

His bonus check was $900 short: "How can you take money from somebody just
because he might owe something?"

McDaniel said GM officials assured him he would get his money eventually.

Since Tuesday, when GM employees learned about the 50 percent shortages -
about $900 in most cases - the Ingham Friend of the Court office has been
swamped by calls from outraged clients.

"People are as irate as hell," said Reisig.

The bonuses - lump-sum wage increases established in the labor contract
ratified Oct. 6 - started out at $3,000. Most employees took home about
$1,800 after taxes.

In the case of employees in Michigan with "active child or spousal support
deductions," GM held half the $1,800, as specified by Michigan law.

That varies from state to state. In Ohio, for example, GM withheld the
entire amount.

Federal law requires GM to help county and state officials enforce
child-support orders through payroll deductions and diverting lump-sum
payments to cover arrears.

But in the cases of the bonuses distributed this week, GM (including
Saturn), took 50 percent from all Michigan employees with active support
deduction orders, regardless of whether they were behind in their payments.

GM spokesman Tom Wickham acknowledged that it was an "unfortunate
situation." But the terms of the new contract between GM and the United Auto
Workers forced GM payroll officials to use a broad net, he said.

Bonuses for child-support payers typically are handled like this:

GM, anticipating the distribution of bonus checks, asks county or state
officials to identify support payers behind in their obligations. GM uses
that information to determine which bonuses get diverted.

"Normally, we have 45 days to do this," Wickham said. "In this case, the
contract was ratified Oct. 6, and we were contractually obligated to
distribute the bonuses this week."

Given that, Wickham said, GM officials decided to deduct 50 percent from the
bonuses of all employees with support orders.

As for why employees no longer under court orders got caught in the net,
Wickham said, "We need to update our lists."

GM will start releasing the money as it gets those updated lists, Wickham
said. He declined to say when that will happen.

Maureen Sorbet, spokeswoman for the state Family Independence Agency, said
GM's action was proper.

"We believe GM was honoring the language and intent of the agreement between
the employer and the Office of Child Support," Sorbet said.

Today that office will supply GM with a list of support payers who aren't
behind in their payments, she said.

"For anybody not in arrears, the money will be released," Sorbet said. "As
for how quickly, you'll have to check with GM."

On Thursday, in a blistering letter to GM, Reisig wrote: "Your payroll
department withheld ... bonus payments, without regard to whether or not any
support arrearage was owed."

The letter continued: "Your action of prematurely seizing these funds and
holding them, even for a relatively short period of time, does a disservice
to your many employees, who both give to you their services, and who
diligently pay their child support on behalf of their children."

Of the 572 GM employees in Ing-ham County who received half their bonuses,
191 are behind in their support payments.

"It sucks," said Doug Grace of Lansing, an Assembly plant worker who came up
$900 short. "I go out of my way to make sure I don't fall behind."

Contact John Schneider at 377-1175 or .

Old October 24th 03, 07:46 PM
Dave

It has not been easy always being a buy American car kind of guy. But this
pushes it over the top for me. I will never own another GM product.

Old October 24th 03, 09:25 PM
dani

Dave wrote:
It has not been easy always being a buy American car kind of guy. But this
pushes it over the top for me. I will never own another GM product.

My sentiments exactly. But, take it one step further and contact
Generous Motors and let them know how you feel at

http://www.gm.com/gmcomjsp/contactus/email.html

I did.

~ Dani

Old October 24th 03, 10:16 PM
T.J.

GOOD FOR GM!!!!!

They should take deadbeat's bonuses away from them if they arent current on
their child support!!!!

TJ

Old October 24th 03, 10:29 PM
The Dave©

T.J. may be indicted for posting the following:
GOOD FOR GM!!!!!

They should take deadbeat's bonuses away from them if they arent
current on their child support!!!!

Did you not read or understand the article or the responses?
Old October 24th 03, 10:46 PM
Dave

Perhaps you should read the recent statement from Lowell at ANCPR for a
little enlightment:

"Paying child support has nothing to do with supporting your children.
Child support is a policy that is fundamentally flawed, since it is based on
the assumption that you can replace a parent with money. Child support,
then, is not for children. It is for the custodial parent. It is a reward
paid to the custodial parent for being successful in cutting you, the ncp,
out of your child's life. Child support is a social policy that was
specifically designed to enable single parent households. This has
primarily, in well over 90% of contested cases, meant single mother
households (as the program was designed explicitly to do). Therefore, when
ever you hear the term single mother, you are actually hearing, "fatherless
child". If you are paying child support, you are supporting this system.
You are saying, with your money, "Yes, this makes sense to me."

The only changes I would make to the above is wherever you see child
support, replace it with "lifestyle child support" and that there is no
accountability or requirement that it is used for the children.

Old October 24th 03, 10:49 PM
Angel

"T.J." wrote in message
GOOD FOR GM!!!!!

They should take deadbeat's bonuses away from them if they arent current

on
their child support!!!!

TJ

You know what TJ your a dick head.....I don't know what your opinion is on
deadbeat, but some people are working and doing all that they can do to pay
support and keep food on the table and pay bills for themselves. It is easy
to get behind in childsupport. Don't you ever send me another email to my
account. Obiviously you have no idea how it is to be down on your luck and
have nothing.
At least my husband is making an attempt, even as small as it is. He is
trying! My uncle died owing his grown children that have children $70,000.
And another person that I know owes his grow children more than $150,00.
So don't even f**kin talk to me about deadbeat.
Angel
"Dave" Dave@freedoms-door wrote in message
It has not been easy always being a buy American car kind of guy. But

this
pushes it over the top for me. I will never own another GM product.

Me either and I love camaro's!

Old October 24th 03, 10:52 PM
gini52

"T.J." wrote in message
GOOD FOR GM!!!!!

They should take deadbeat's bonuses away from them if they arent current

on
their child support!!!!

==
Typically people read a post before responding. It's a good strategy.
Otherwise,
a responder can accidentally appear to be a moron.
==
==.

Old October 24th 03, 11:28 PM
T.J.

Dave you are so full of ****!!!

You know in alot of cases the father doesnt want to be present. They are to
wrapped up in their own egos and concerns about their money to even have any
concern about their own children.

Child support in my household goes to help pay for my childrens needs. As a
matter of fact I have a seperate account that all the child support goes
into so the money is used soley for my children.

Paying support has everything to do with supporting children, children dont
raise themselves and pay for their own expenses. The only people who
erradicate men from their childrens lives are the ones who arent present.
Stop blaming everyone else for the fact men cant grow up and be responsible.

Old October 24th 03, 11:35 PM
T.J.

Im not a dickhead. If I buy a car and get behind on my payments it gets
taken away. How about my house, I get behind on my payments then no more
house for me. As teh custodial parent if I dont pay for food my children
starve, I dont get a break from anything and cant fall behind on paying
bills or my children suffer. Grow up and be responsible..

I do know what its like to be down on my luck thank you very much. But i
still supported my children ALONE with no help from anyone else and
certaintly not from their deadbeat asswipe. They were MY FIRST priority.
If I go without food in order for my children to have it then Ill do that.

Dont feed me this crap about someone being down on their luck and not able
to pay support for their children. Its calle d they are too selfish. If
your husband cant support his children he sure the hell shouldnt support
your dead ass.