Breastfeeding didn't work out last time, but I want it to this time.

Old August 29th 03, 09:19 PM
mom2fallbabies

Default Breastfeeding didn't work out last time, but I want it to this time.

As some of you might remember, my son was born at 34 weeks with a poor
suck. He was immediately taken to Special Care where he spent the next
2 weeks. Immediately after his birth, I began pumping in my hospital
room. I spoke with a LC a couple of times while I was still in the
hospital. She was not much help. She was preoccupied with telling me
how to store and label my milk, but did not answer questions about how
to actually use the pump to get milk. Even after I got home, I could
tell my milk had come in... bbs got huge, painful, and so on. I tried
and tried with that darn pump...put warm cloths on my breasts, looked
at his photo, smelled his baby smell on my hands. No luck. Got
literally drops and quit pumping at about 1 week pp. Meanwhile, the
nursery staff were no help either. They were fixated on not tiring
Aaron out for his bottle feeds, fixated on the amount he took at each
feed. I asked about putting him to breast, and it was a tentative,
"Well, you could TRY" reply.

So we did not bf. I should have tried harder, gotten my own LC if I
had to.

I want it to be different this time. I keep telling myself it will
work out if I have a fullterm baby that rooms and comes home with me.

Encouragement/tips needed here.

Amanda, mom to
Aaron 10/00
A Girl edd 11/28
Old August 29th 03, 10:23 PM
Daye

On 29 Aug 2003 13:19:24 -0700, (mom2fallbabies)
wrote:

Encouragement/tips needed here.

You are going to get this alot, but post this to
misc.kids.breastfeeding. They will have tons of tips and
encouragement for you.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan
Old August 30th 03, 02:27 AM
Laurie

mom2fallbabies wrote in message ...
[...]

Hi Amanda! Welcome back. It *will* be easier if you have a full term baby
that rooms with you, for sure!!! And, just knowing what you know now will
be an excellent weapon to be armed with. Make sure you have a great bfd'ing
book, like "The Nursing Mother's Companion" to refer to at midnight, if need
be. And most of all, just keep at it! You can do it! You can do it!!!!

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 29 months
and Christopher, 4 months

*This email address is now valid*