Yet another "ready for solids?"

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 16th 03, 07:51 AM
Akuvikate

Default Yet another "ready for solids?"

(Beth Kevles) wrote in message ...
Hi -

Since a computer crash late last year, I no longer have specific cites.
But basically, what you're doing is playing roulette.

I'm playing roulette every time we go for a walk because the weather's
nice. We don't need to take that walk, and we could get hit by a car.
I figure that the increased risk of an unlikely but horrible outcome
is outweighed by the near-certainty that we'll enjoy ourselves.

It's your first parenting test: do you do what your child wants, or do
you do what's healthiest for their physical well-being?

I'm with Phoebe in taking exception to telling me this is a test, with
the implication that if I don't follow your advice then I'll fail it.
And my answer is that it depends how bad she wants it and what the
impact on her health would be. Sixteen years from now we'll be in a
far more dangerous situation when she and her friends start getting
their drivers licenses. It'll be best for her physical health and
well-being if I don't let her get into a car with (or be) a teen
driver. But in all likelihood I will.

As someone pointed out in the SIDS/co-sleeping thread, X times a very
very very small number is still a very very small number. If that's
the case I may decide not to wait a month and a half. If the numbers
aren't so small I'll be a lot more careful. But just saying "the risk
is higher" doesn't allow me to gauge how much caution I think is
warranted.

Kate
and the sleeping Bug, June 8 2003

I'm ready! Jill Pregnancy 6 May 4th 04 02:17 AM
Getting a one year old ready for a sibling ted General 3 March 30th 04 11:08 PM
(Cute) Ready to have kids checklist Ruthie General 2 September 19th 03 06:47 AM
getting ready! Dagny Breastfeeding 1 September 15th 03 03:33 AM
question about ready ovulation sticks J Pregnancy 4 September 12th 03 05:48 PM