Exclusive BF for big baby?

Old July 26th 03, 07:22 AM
Lana

Default Exclusive BF for big baby?

Hi, This is my first post, although I've been lurking since my son was born
4/2/03. This group has been very informational for me, and I thought I'd
ask for advice.

My son was born 8lbs 9 oz, as of last weekend, he was a little over 18 lbs.
so he has double his birthweight and then some, and he's not yet 4 months.
He has been almost exclusively breastfeed since birth (except for the first
few days when I was force to supplement w/ formula, due to my inverted
nipples, but thank god for breast shields, my BF savior, and he wean off of
those at 10 weeks, but now is refusing bottles of EBM but that's another
story.) .

I've been lucky that he has always slept through the night since birth, (4-6
hours) until he was 4 weeks then 5-7 hour when he was 6 weeks, and 6-8
hours at 8 weeks, and 8 hours+ for the last 6 weeks. Well now he is
starting not to sleep through the night, I'd say for the past week, he's
woken up 4 time at midnight or 3 am, starving, last night it was twice.
Sometimes he cries, other times he is just tossing and turning and sucking
his fist vigoriously, and is smacking his lips. I readily feed him, and he
goes right back to sleep after 10 min or so, but I'm wondering if milk is
still enough for him. I mean I know that it is, but I kind of like him
sleeping through the night.

I don't think it's a growth spurt, I've actually not notice any except for
the 3 week one. I have a really good supply, but I think he can't drink
enough in the day sometimes to meet his intake requirement. The few times
that he has sucked my dry, my body does really well and adjust the next day,
and I get engorged for several days. I nurse every 2-2.5 hours, but
sometimes he won't nurse for more than 5 min.most times he'll nurse for
10-12 min, but always refuses the other breast. In all I'm nursing about 7
times during the day. I'm debating starting solids.

I know about the allergies, but I'm worried that I can't nurse him enough
during the day for him not to be hungry in the middle of night. I know some
babies, don't sleep through the night til much later, but I'm spoiled and
don't want to give that up. Any advice for me to either get him to nurse
longer during the day? Part of the problem is I think I have OAL, and I've
heard that I should pump to relieve some of that, but that just don't make
sense to me, I mean if I pump won't I continue to produce more than I need.
And at what point should I start trying solids, what the largest baby in
this group who has gone exclusive BF, and had the baby sleep through the
night?

Maybe I should just suck it up, and do what's best for my son and just
exclusively BF until he's at least 6 months. Reading this I'm not really
sure what I'm asking but for some of you guys to share your experiences with
me. Especially those of you w/ larger babies, and how long you exclusily
breast feed for. I know I have enough and can produce enough BM to keep him
going but at what cost to me, and at the rate he's gaining I expect the
problem to just get worse.. And a side note Dr. Sears said if your baby is
taking 40 ounces of formula, you should (it might have could) probably try
to replace one of his feedings with cereal. According to my calculations he
needs 36-45 ounces a day (the 2 - 2.5 ounce per lb standard), so does that
apply to BF babies to? So I'm unsure of what I should do,
a. try to get him to nurse more during the day
b. try to add cereal to his diet
c. suck it up, and feed BM whenever he wants it even if it means not sleep
through the night anymore.

I know this isn't a problem compared to what others are experiencing but it
goes through my head about every day, weather I should start solid or not.

Thanks,
LuLu and my chunky monkey.

Old July 26th 03, 07:59 AM
azure

Hi Lana,

My baby is the exact same age as yours, born April 2nd! She was 8lbs 13 or
14oz (4kg's exact) and is now 5.6 kgs, so well below doubling her birth
weight. Your boy has grown lots!! Way to go full cream Muma

Just recently she gave up her long stretch of sleeping at night (6-7 hours)
to waking every 3-4 hours for a feed. I too started wondering if maybe I
fed solids she'd be fuller and less hungry. She also is really into chewing
things and I think she'd enjoy some food. But then I recommitted to
"sucking it up" and do what I feel is right, and wait for 6 months. Low and
behold she slept 6.5 hours again last night so maybe it was a little growth
spurt that just needed one extra feed. (I've never noticed a growth spurt
either, because she munches all the time as it is! She'd have to be
permanently attached to nurse much more frequently!!)

If the BM is satisfying him with an extra feed I'd be sticking to that in my
situation.

Cheers,

Leah

---

Old July 26th 03, 12:53 PM
Chookie

In article ,
"lovey" wrote:

he's also lately gone from one wakening a night to a couple/few times...
maybe it's normal for 4 mth olds?

It does happen with some -- "Baby Love" says some babies sleep through the
night from about 6 weeks, then stop doing so at about 4 mo. Unfortunately my
DS followed ths pattern, and yes, it WAS hard to adjust! OTOH it was usually
a single waking, except when he was teething/sick.

WRT overweight babies -- if the baby chooses his own feeding patern I think he
is unlikely to be overweight. Overweight is more likely in bottle-fed babies
who (a) can't control the milk flow rate like bfed babies or (b) have some
adult encouraging them to finish the bottle.

Once a baby starts to crawl, and particularly when they learn to walk, their
weight gain changes and they slim down. If your doctor isn't concerned, I
would not be either. I suppose if the weight percentile is a long way ahead
of the height percentile it might be time to worry.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990
Old July 26th 03, 01:04 PM
Karen

I've been lucky that he has always slept through the night since birth, (4-6
hours) until he was 4 weeks then 5-7 hour when he was 6 weeks, and 6-8
hours at 8 weeks, and 8 hours+ for the last 6 weeks. Well now he is
starting not to sleep through the night, I'd say for the past week, he's
woken up 4 time at midnight or 3 am, starving, last night it was twice.
Sometimes he cries, other times he is just tossing and turning and sucking
his fist vigoriously, and is smacking his lips.

DD was born 3/27 7lb 7oz, she is now 4 mos 13lb 12oz (90th percentile). She
has been doing the same exact thing, has slept thru the night since about 5
weeks and now she wakes at 11pm to nurse and sleeps till 6, or the other day it
was 3am and 6am feeding from 10 at night. She is a big girl, but I have
decided and the pediatrician agress that we should wait until 6 months for
solids, that is unless of course she really needs to start before then. Maybe
it is all a 4 month old thing rather than a large baby thing, I mean the change
in sleeping patterns. Good Luck.
Karen Ann
Mommy to:
Ashley 11-13-90
Meghan 3-10-97
Hayley "Chunky Monkey" 3-27-03
Old July 26th 03, 01:09 PM
Belphoebe

"Lana" wrote in message

My son was born 8lbs 9 oz, as of last weekend, he was a little over 18

lbs.
so he has double his birthweight and then some, and he's not yet 4 months.

Which shows how well he's doing on your milk!

In all I'm nursing about 7
times during the day. I'm debating starting solids.

Dr. Sears said if your baby is
taking 40 ounces of formula, you should (it might have could) probably try
to replace one of his feedings with cereal. According to my calculations

he
needs 36-45 ounces a day (the 2 - 2.5 ounce per lb standard), so does that
apply to BF babies to?

You'll also notice on Sears's site that he lists many other criteria
regarding readiness other than the amount a baby is eating. I would urge
you to wait. Kelly's AP Site has a link addressing the question of starting
solids to encourage sleeping through the night:

"The idea that solids will help your baby sleep is an old wives' tale that
has been disproven by medical studies. Feeding your baby solids or formula
in an attempt to make baby sleep longer is not a good idea for several
reasons."

Then there's an extensive explanation. See
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/solids-sleep.html.

Belphoebe

Old July 26th 03, 02:02 PM
Meredith Edwards-Cornwall

In G6pUa.131718$OZ2.25972@rwcrnsc54 Lana wrote:
[...]

I have a 20 pound four month old (just got her weighed yesterday), and I
wouldn't dream of starting solids at this point. She can't even sit up
on her own. She does, however sleep about six hours at night, and I
think that's wonderful. My son (who is now 2) weighed 19 pounds at his
four month visit and never slept longer than two hours at a stretch
until he was about 2 1/2. And that was after he weaned. Some babies
sleep, some babies don't. I haven't found that it's related to food
intake, honestly.

Contrary to popular advice, solids do not usually make a baby sleep
through the night. I know a lot of people who try it, but I've rarely
ever seen it work.

Dr Sears says that if your *six to nine month old* formula fed baby is
taking 40 ounces of formula, you might try introducing solids. (http://
askdrsears.com/html/3/t032000.asp) I don't think he is a fan of
introducing solids early for the reasons listed on the link above.

As far as sleeping, try checking out "The No Cry Sleep Solution" by
Elizabeth Pantley. I will say, however, that it is really common for
babies in the second half of the first year to wake more often.
Developmental milestones, teething, and a bunch of other things can
disrupt sleep, and it's really normal.

Good luck,
Meredith
Old July 26th 03, 02:24 PM
jake's mom

Have you been to your 4 month check-up yet? Our ped. said that SOMETIMES
they suggest cereal if a baby is too overweight because it has less
calories. He said it just depends on the baby--I think DS is achieving
developmental milestones, etc. like some of the other people have said and
that is causing him to wake more.

Good luck, Robin

Old July 26th 03, 02:34 PM
Naomi Pardue

My son was born 8lbs 9 oz, as of last weekend, he was a little over 18 lbs.
so he has double his birthweight and then some, and he's not yet 4 months.

Wow! Sounds like he's doing terrific on your milk!

So I'm unsure of what I should do,
a. try to get him to nurse more during the day
b. try to add cereal to his diet
c. suck it up, and feed BM whenever he wants it even if it

I snipped most of your post, but I would definitely try to wait a little longer
to start solids. Not necessarily 6 months, but he isn't even 4 months yet,
which is really the bare minimum. Since it's entirely normal and common for 3
1/2 month old babies to nurse at night, why not just feed him at night if he
wakes. Maybe he'll go back to sleeping through in a few days, or maybe not.
You could certainly try feeding him more often during the day and see if that
will help, though if he's already eating every couple of hours during the day,
he probably won't want to nurse much more than that.

(Before rushing to cereal, remember that, while he's a big baby, he's still
only 3 1/2 months old, and so probably can't digest cereal yet. Do you really
want to fill his belly with something that he can't make any use of? Give it a
few more weeks. At 4 or 4 1/2 months, if you still want to try the cereal, and
he's showing other signs of readiness, you can offer him some and see if he
likes it/is able to take it.)

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)
Old July 26th 03, 08:38 PM
Karen

Lana wrote:

apply to BF babies to? So I'm unsure of what I should do,
a. try to get him to nurse more during the day
b. try to add cereal to his diet
c. suck it up, and feed BM whenever he wants it even if it means not sleep
through the night anymore.

I know this isn't a problem compared to what others are experiencing but it
goes through my head about every day, weather I should start solid or not.

I had one of 'those' babies. Wubby was 7-14 at birth, 11-12 at 4 weeks, 18-8 at
4 months and 20-8 at 6 months.
He nursed almost exclusively until he was 9 months old (I tried solids earlier
but he gagged on them).
He was also a short duration, frequent nurser. 5-10 minutes on one side every
1-2 hours was his norm.

This does sound like a growth spurt and while I hate saying 'suck it up' (it
seems so uncaring) I would
go this route for at least a little while before resorting to solids/formula
etc......He may settle back into his pattern in a few weeks.
I don't want to be really *itchy but the vast majortiy of babies BF or FF are
not sleeping 8 hours a night at his age, I'd call
you lucky he is only waking once around 3, I'd think anything better than that
is gravy.

Try to get him to nurse more during the day. Any thought to waking him right
before you go to sleep to try and
carry him through the true middle of the night?

karen

Old July 26th 03, 09:42 PM
KC

I am curious about a baby's inability to use foods besides bm and
formula. Didn't people in the past get put on lots of solids really
early and still grow? Obviously bm is best, but is it really true
that the baby's can't use other foods?

KC

OSPAM (Naomi Pardue) wrote in message ...
[...]

(either remove spamblock or change address to
to e-mail
reply.)