7.5 mo sleep through the night?

Old January 10th 04, 06:24 PM

Default 7.5 mo sleep through the night?

Richard wrote:
Our ped claims that our 7.5 mo daughter wakes for her 3 am feeding out of
nothing more than habit, and that she should be able to sleep from 11 pm
to 7 am without waking. He suggests that we simply refuse to feed her
between those hours.
Does this make any sense?

You could try "cluster feeding" your baby prior to her going down for
good at night. I think that might also want to look at the times your
child is sleeping. It might better to put them in bed around 6:30-7pm
and let them sleep till about 7am (yes, they make wake up once) and
also have about 2 naps during the day.

Aside from the cluster feeding and trying to change some timing I think
some babies just need to get up and be fed, others don't.

Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child goes into a lot of what you should know
about sleep and how much sleep a baby should be getting. This book
also recommends some rather extreme CIO measures IMO but the other
details about sleep cycles etc.. are very helpful.

Old February 16th 05, 01:56 PM
Degten

On Sun, 1 Jun 2003 21:39:19 EDT, Scott Lindstrom
wrote:

Richard wrote:
Our ped claims that our 7.5 mo daughter wakes for her 3 am feeding out of
nothing more than habit, and that she should be able to sleep from 11 pm
to 7 am without waking. He suggests that we simply refuse to feed her
between those hours.

Does this make any sense?

Try feeding her just a little bit to tide her over. She may then drop
the feed after deciding its not worth waking up for. Thats what our
ped said with no 1 and it worked a treat.

Speaking as the parent of kids who slept through the night
at 6 weeks and 4 months, it does kind of. How big is your
daughter? Is she active? If she's a big baby, her stomach
may be big enough to hold food through the night. If she's
very active, though, she may be hungry.

How much does she eat at the 3am feeding? If it's not
much, I think I might follow the ped's advice.

Scott, DD 9.9 and DS 7.4, with night-time wakings long
time gone, thank goodness!

#1 slept perfectly round 8 wks with the drop the 3 o'clock feeding
routine. After giving son only 1oz of fluid to tide him over he
stopped waking up for it. #2 is still a challenge (2 steps forward 2
steps back). But then he is very big for his age (3months, 27
inches, 17.5lbs) and is a little wriggler as well. Ped yesterday said
he could sleep longer than the 5.5 (and sometimes 6 hours) we often
get him to take. However, we wonder if that is the case for Sandy
even on a full tank. He feeds a lot in the evening before bed and
there isn't much milk left by then (at least by the pump). Sometimes,
I think, they really do just get hungry.

DeDe