Anyone Else think this is Odd?

Old February 25th 04, 11:24 AM
Moon Shyne

Default Anyone Else think this is Odd?

'Kate wrote in message ...
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 05:26:17 -0600, "Moon Shyne"

My son is in 4th grade - he's a pretty good student, though he could stand a
little more concentrated effort - on the other hand, he had 4 low grades the
first report card, and raised each of them 2 grade levels by the second

report
card..... mom was proud :-)

I heard from my son, and a friend of his, that their teacher has told the
friend's parents that he appears to be ADHD (the friend, not my son), and

should
be on meds for 4 weeks to see if it helps.

This is a teacher who is young (26 or so), and this is her 4th year

teaching -
last year she had 9th grade. Personally, I don't think she knows how to

handle
9 and 10 year old little boys.........

Anyone else find it odd that this relatively inexperienced teacher who hasn't
gone to med school is now diagnosing ADHD and recommending meds? I've seen

the
child in question, and he and my son can play YuGiOh for hours......... and
while I'm not a doctor either, I don't see anything that raises cause for
alarm........

Thoughts?

I think it's the parent's job to advocate for the child and no meds are
issued solely on a teachers say-so. But the teacher will have some
imput as part of the evaluation is her judgment of the child's
behaviors. With all the info lately about ADD and misdiagnosis, most
doctors are aware of the need of an independent assessment. The parents
do have final say on whether or not to medicate the child.

Whether to get involved in it or not is entirely dependent on your
relationship with the parents of the child. At this point, they're
likely to be touchy about it.... if you know them well, it would pay to
ask if they'd mind if you share your opinion and experience with them
before you do.

We're good friends - and we talked about it last night - I recommended they have
at least one, and preferably 2 outside evaluations before they put the boy on
meds - this teacher isn't real high on my list - one project the kids did, she
sent home a paper with additional questions that she was requiring them to get
answers to - and one of the questions was about the parents' political views - I
took that one to the principal :-)

'Kate

Old February 25th 04, 03:56 PM
hdbabe

Cele,
Since she was asking for her freind, she could possibly relay the 'advice' as a - I have a friend who went thru this and this is was her experience.....
ES

Old February 25th 04, 04:59 PM

"Moon Shyne" wrote in message

"hdbabe" wrote in message
lkaboutsupport.com...
Tiffany is correct, teachers are the first ones to suggest. However, if

your
having doubts there is a test that can be administered by your doctor. It's

questionaire that you fill out and the teacher fills out, then the doctor
evaluates the child. I know, I've been thru it. And unfortuantly my kid is

ADHD.
The meds help. I didn't want to, but I realized that I had to do what was in

his
best interest. And sadly, just because they can play Yi-Gi-Oh for hours

doesn't
mean anything. Mine would play Hot wheels hour after hour. What they want to
know is how well he stays on task during homework, or doing something that's

not
'fun'. The ability to focus on work. You have the right to question the

teacher,
go and observe if you can. Or request that the school physc. observe. If

your
insurance allows it have him evaluated by a professional. Just don't say
anything to the teacher about what your doing. And if he has to go on meds,
again do not tell the teacher. Wait and see if she notices anything first.

It
could just be her if after you've eliminated the possiblities. I have met

some
teachers that just 'don't want to deal with it'. Get an outside objective if
possible. All I'm saying is, eliminate any doubts before lashing out at some

26
year-old. Good Luck

You misunderstood - it's not my son that the teacher is 'diagnosing' - it's
another child. Thanks for the feedback though.

Sorry Moon, it has been raining here for about 2 weeks and I am in a state of
can't thinkism...lol..

Old February 25th 04, 05:01 PM

"Moon Shyne" wrote in message

'Kate wrote in message ...
[...]

hee hee..I can see my kids coming home with the question about mommy's
politics..."Mommy is a gun totin' liberal !" bwah

Old February 27th 04, 01:20 AM
Moon Shyne

"V" wrote in message

"Moon Shyne" wrote in message

"hdbabe" wrote in message
[...]

No prob - I have a case of over-loaditis, and was invited today for a personal
interview for webmaster to a sizeable city (government job with all the
government type benefits) - which is a step up from my current corporate
webmaster job - so I'm somewhere between disbelief, and planning on the new job
already :-)

Old February 27th 04, 01:22 AM
Moon Shyne

"V" wrote in message

"Moon Shyne" wrote in message

'Kate wrote in message ...
[...]

ROFLMAO!! Well...... let's just say, I'm not your average mom........ and I'll
defend my children's rights to be precisely who they are, rather than try to
turn them into something the school system seems to think they should be........
and so far, I've got one who makes honor roll consistantly, and another who
pulled a D and 3 C's into a B and 3 A's........ so I'll stay unconventional,
and let them be who they are, thankyewverymuch :-)

(of course, the ex still tries to insist I'm a lousy mother......)

Old February 27th 04, 02:21 AM
xkatx

"Moon Shyne" wrote in message ...

snip the long stuff

ROFLMAO!! Well...... let's just say, I'm not your average mom........ and

I'll
defend my children's rights to be precisely who they are, rather than try

turn them into something the school system seems to think they should

be........
and so far, I've got one who makes honor roll consistantly, and another

who
pulled a D and 3 C's into a B and 3 A's........ so I'll stay

unconventional,
and let them be who they are, thankyewverymuch :-)

(of course, the ex still tries to insist I'm a lousy mother......)

Then you should teach classes on how to be a lousy mother, or a lousy parent
in general.
Seems to me that you're doing a damn fine job at the lousy motherhood thing!

P.S., sign me up, I'm pretty much available any day in the evenings, all day
on weekends :P

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

(Reply to xkatx[at]shaw[dot]ca, and change the obvious, asshat.)

Old February 27th 04, 03:22 AM

"Moon Shyne" wrote in message

No prob - I have a case of over-loaditis, and was invited today for a

personal
interview for webmaster to a sizeable city (government job with all the
government type benefits) - which is a step up from my current corporate
webmaster job - so I'm somewhere between disbelief, and planning on the new

job
already :-)

I am so proud of you!
Good luck!

Old February 27th 04, 03:24 AM

"Moon Shyne" wrote in message

"V" wrote in message

"Moon Shyne" wrote in message

ROFLMAO!! Well...... let's just say, I'm not your average mom........ and

I'll
defend my children's rights to be precisely who they are, rather than try to
turn them into something the school system seems to think they should

be........
and so far, I've got one who makes honor roll consistantly, and another who
pulled a D and 3 C's into a B and 3 A's........ so I'll stay

unconventional,
and let them be who they are, thankyewverymuch :-)

(of course, the ex still tries to insist I'm a lousy mother......)

Well you are a wonderful mother and pootie on him!
Most of the time, they will come around with lots of support and love.
"I have learned silence from the talkative; tolerance from the intolerant
and kindness from the unkind. I should not be ungrateful to those teachers"
Kahilil Gibran

Old February 27th 04, 03:24 AM

"xkatx" . wrote in message

"Moon Shyne" wrote in message ...

snip the long stuff

[...]

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

(Reply to xkatx[at]shaw[dot]ca, and change the obvious, asshat.)

Weekends are good for me too. Not been out in years!
heh!