Down time?

Old July 30th 04, 09:42 PM
Tiffany

Default Down time?

"'Kate" wrote in message
It's summer... it's been quiet in here. Seems like the spammers and
trolls have a good chance of taking over... so I thought I'd post
something.

School's out for the summer. I did fine and managed to get through the
short summer classes. The kids and I have two weeks of unplanned time
before they return to school August 16th.

Meanwhile... I did the unthinkable. Unthinkable for me that is. I
answered a personal ad and we've been emailing back and forth. I think
this has potential, BTW. I'm sure the feeling is mutual. He's very
nice.. intelligent, sensible, responsible, and has a great sense of
humor. He lives about 5 hours north of here but can hop an airplane
anytime and is willing to meet at the airport for coffee... if that's
something I am ready for. How do you bring these things into real
life? Any internet love stories out there? How'd ya do it?

'Kate

Hiya. (pss... where is everyone??)

I think you can meet some great folks online. I have no great love stories
to tell but I have met some great guys, just not THE guy. Just keep your
guard up, we know you have a head on your shoulders. You know all the rules
about meeting someone you don't know.

I am sure I will write more later but I got to get to work.

Old July 31st 04, 12:06 PM
Purchgdss

I hope (I figure you already checked this) you got his last name and ran a
check thru the appropriate free databases. I've found a lot of "nice" guys who
had records longer than my arm. Be sure to check the Sex offender listing too.
Believe it or not, I've found one on there too.

Needless to say...... they stopped communication when I asked them if "this"
was their case number/middle name. LOLOL

Just my 2 cents.........
Christine
Old July 31st 04, 03:16 PM
steveb

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 13:52:50 GMT, lm
wrote:

Good for you, kate! It's really not unthinkable anymore. It's more and
more common. I met my husband via the net but it was one of those
it'll-happen-when-you're-not-looking things. It started out from a
newsgroup like this one rather than a personals ad, so we had common
interests from the beginning. We corresponded for 2+ years before
meeting, but we're both extremely shy, so don't go by that timeframe!

Go with no expectations. That way you won't be disappointed. You can't
ever fully know someone, and the net is an imperfect medium, so
consider it more a blind date than a reunion. And of course check him
out first.

You know what I think .. but basically .... what she said
Old July 31st 04, 03:21 PM
Joelle

How do you bring these things into real
life? Any internet love stories out there? How'd ya do it?

I dated a few guys that way, but had better luck in real life. There was one
guy who was pretty decent and it might have worked except that there was some
distance and he wasn't motivated to make the long drive - guess that alone said
something!

The only down thing I found about it was it put an unnatural strain on the
relationship, more expectations - because you go through this whole process in
hopes of "a relationship" and that underlies the whole thing...but if it's a
good match, and there's communication...I would think that could be overcome.

Even if it's not "The ONE" it's good to put yourself out there...anyway that's
what I told myself everytime it didn't work out. The only way you get to the
*the right one" is to put yourself out there, exposed to the "wrong ones" Have
fun.

Joelle
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page - St
Augustine
Joelle
Old July 31st 04, 05:23 PM
louise wolthausen

"Joelle" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Kate,

I've been lurking for awhile so I suppose I should introduce myself first
:-) I'm the mother of three (most of the time) wonderful teens/young adults
and I'm way up in the Great White North (namely Quebec) ;-)

I know of actually four relationships that began on the net and three of
them resulted in marriage. All those involved are happy, although with some
ups and downs. That of course is to be expected. Being a single parent and
working doesn't leave much time for playing "the dating game" or going out,
so the net has opened the door for alot of people.

All of the advice above is good, sound common sense and from what I've read
so far, you have your fair share of that as well. :-) Hope it works out
well for you.

Louise

Old July 31st 04, 07:05 PM
Tiffany

"'Kate" wrote in message
On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 16:42:45 -0400, "Tiffany"
wrote:

"'Kate" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Beats me. There are usually fewer posts on the weekends and during
the summer... you know, busy with the kids and their stuff but this is
getting eerie.

I think you can meet some great folks online. I have no great love

stories
to tell but I have met some great guys, just not THE guy. Just keep your
guard up, we know you have a head on your shoulders. You know all the

rules
about meeting someone you don't know.

I am sure I will write more later but I got to get to work.

Yeah... I know the usual safety routine. So far, he's just a nice guy.
There's not a lot one can tell online... it's not a real test of
anything but the basic info. I know that moving this into real life is
the next step but it's a biggie. He's on vacation for a week and I'm
off from school so it would be the ideal time to meet. What harm can
come from coffee or a movie... something public. I guess I'll give it
a go.

'Kate

No harm at all! Go for coffee or movie. At the movie though, you won't
really be able to talk. That can be good but mostly not! lol

Keep us updated.

Old July 31st 04, 07:58 PM
Joelle

No harm at all! Go for coffee or movie. At the movie though, you won't
really be able to talk. That can be good but mostly not! lol

I never thought going to a movie was good for first dates when you want to get
to know each other. Movies are for when you are comfortable enough just to be
together. Also I hate watching sex scenes (and they all have them!) with some
guy I don't know that well. It's very uncomfortable.

Old July 31st 04, 09:56 PM
Tiffany

"'Kate" wrote in message
On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 14:05:02 -0400, "Tiffany"
wrote:

"'Kate" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 16:42:45 -0400, "Tiffany"
wrote:

"'Kate" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

It may just begin and end with this thread... as far as I know. LOL.

And whaddya mean talk? I have to talk? Without typing? Uh oh. :-)

'Kate

Yep... so you really have to laugh, smile and wink.

You don't know what will happen..... might be good, might be bad, might be
neutral! That is the fun of meeting new men, I think. (Unless its really
bad.)

Old August 1st 04, 05:09 AM
Alex Nemeth

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 01:15:31 GMT, 'Kate wrote:

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 16:42:45 -0400, "Tiffany"
wrote:

"'Kate" wrote in message
. ..

Yeah... I know the usual safety routine. So far, he's just a nice guy.
There's not a lot one can tell online... it's not a real test of
anything but the basic info. I know that moving this into real life is
the next step but it's a biggie. He's on vacation for a week and I'm
off from school so it would be the ideal time to meet. What harm can
come from coffee or a movie... something public. I guess I'll give it
a go.

If you really want to get to know hi, Do the Coffee, forget the movies

Alex

Old August 1st 04, 05:18 AM
Alex Nemeth

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 07:02:05 GMT, 'Kate wrote:

It's summer... it's been quiet in here. Seems like the spammers and
trolls have a good chance of taking over... so I thought I'd post
something.

School's out for the summer. I did fine and managed to get through the
short summer classes. The kids and I have two weeks of unplanned time
before they return to school August 16th.

Meanwhile... I did the unthinkable. Unthinkable for me that is. I
answered a personal ad and we've been emailing back and forth.

I did that many years ago, and actually it was an ad on alt.personals
that I answered. You really had to sort through the junk.

We dated about 1 year before we just kinda drifted apart. We still
keep in some sort of contact kinda. She lived in Albany ( about 3
hours driving time ). We e-mailed for weeks before we met. I had a
conference in Albany one weekend, and we met in the hotel lobby where
I was staying, the rest was history.

There were a couple of others, however LDR's ( Long Distance Romances
) & I never really worked out too well