My Tragic Christmas

Old December 26th 05, 07:07 AM posted to alt.support.single-parents

Default My Tragic Christmas

I had to have our dog put down tonight, of all nights. We had a wonderful
day out at the lake with my Dad's side of the family, and brought our
Weimaraner with us, as she absolutely loved it out there. Unfortunately, she
became very ill after dinner and I thought perhaps she'd eaten something
outside (poison or an animal carcass because I hadn't fed her yet)... when
she wouldn't come when I called her though, I knew something was very wrong.
The boys and I went looking for her, only to find her in the bush, in alot
of pain, alone, in the dark. Apparently she'd gone out there to die... I had
to carry her back to the house.

I raced back into the city to take her to the emergency vet clinic, while
she moaned in the back seat. It's a good thing I did though, her stomach
flipped for really no reason at all and I had to have her put down. It was
one of THE hardest things I've ever had to do, the kids and I bawled but I
knew it was for the best.

Anyways, I held her and told her she was a good dog over and over, that she
meant alot to me and I'd never forget her. I'm just glad her last day was
spent surrounded by family. The boys and my father even took her for a huge
walk on the lake... in hindsight I wish I'd gone with them but at least she
didn't die alone.

Unfortunately, now every Christmas I'm going to remember what happened. Bah.

Christine

Old December 26th 05, 01:52 PM posted to alt.support.single-parents

((((Christine)))), This is very sad, I am so sorry for the loss the
boys and you are feeling. Christmas shouldn't be marked like this,
unfortunately for some reason it never fails to happen this way. I hope
the fond and happy memories of your dear family pet keep you all
comforted during the new year and into the future holiday seasons. To
say it simple , I know it sucks, I am thinking of you all today. Bev

Old December 27th 05, 06:32 AM posted to alt.support.single-parents

"'Kate" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 07:07:33 GMT, "CME" the
following was posted in blue dry erase marker:

I had to have our dog put down tonight, snip
at least she didn't die alone.

What a sad thing to have happen. Hugs to you and the boys. I'm glad she
had a nice last day.

Unfortunately, now every Christmas I'm going to remember what happened.
Bah.

You will moreso than the boys. I wish we could protect them from things
like this.

'Kate

Thanks Bev, Kate...

I'm doing much better today, although there are moments I forget she's gone
and almost call her name. lol I like to think of the positives though, she
was getting up there in years so I'm glad she didn't suffer long, at least
she didn't die alone and she brought alot of joy into my life. As well her
death reminds me how short life is and to spend more time with the people
around me.

It's like that quote...

Live today as if it will be your last.

Christine

Old December 27th 05, 08:05 AM posted to alt.support.single-parents

Hi Christine,

" Live today as if it will be your last."

Couldn't agree with you more. Too bad it takes a loss to make most people
(ME) realize it.

Sorry for your loss. My last dog was with me for 12 years. And more
important, with my kids for the first 6 and 8 years of their lives. I told
them to remember the good memories and when we get a new dog we can start
making new ones.

We are getting a new puppy in 2 weeks. I am "Like the best" parent in the
whole world to them right now. We won't forget the old but the kids are
excited about starting the new memories. And I'm excited about giving them
the memories of raising a dog from a puppy.
OMG, What was I thinking??? Now I need a baby sitter that isn't allergic to
dogs!!!! aaaahhh!!!

JK, It will be fun.

Old December 27th 05, 09:49 AM posted to alt.support.single-parents

"BS" wrote in message
Hi Christine,

" Live today as if it will be your last."

Couldn't agree with you more. Too bad it takes a loss to make most people
(ME) realize it.

Sorry for your loss. My last dog was with me for 12 years. And more
important, with my kids for the first 6 and 8 years of their lives. I
told them to remember the good memories and when we get a new dog we can
start making new ones.

We are getting a new puppy in 2 weeks. I am "Like the best" parent in the
whole world to them right now. We won't forget the old but the kids are
excited about starting the new memories. And I'm excited about giving them
the memories of raising a dog from a puppy.
OMG, What was I thinking??? Now I need a baby sitter that isn't allergic
to dogs!!!! aaaahhh!!!

JK, It will be fun.

LOL Yeah the boys said to me this morning it would be nice to get a new dog
for xmas next year. I said forget it. lol Number one, I'm not a fan of
puppies, they're cute but alot of work. Secondly I'm afraid I was spoiled
with Brassa, she was unbelievably good. I rescued her from the States and
it's like because she was abused, she'd do anything to please me. Poor
thing knew the difference between a good and a bad home.

But knowing me, I'll get suckered into getting another dog soon enough, one
will grab my heart strings and I'll be a goner. Let's hope it likes cats.
lol

Christine

Old December 27th 05, 02:29 PM posted to alt.support.single-parents

"CME" wrote in message

"BS" wrote in message
[...]

I am so sorry to hear about your loss Christine! I totally feel for you and
the kids. I know what you mean by 'forgetting and almost calling his name. I
did that for a long time after my dog died. I would open the door after work
and go to bend over to pet him. It is hard to adjust.

I am sure one day a needy dog will find his/her way to you.

Tiff

Old December 28th 05, 08:21 AM posted to alt.support.single-parents

"Tiffany" wrote in message

I am sure one day a needy dog will find his/her way to you.

Tiff

Exactly. lol

But thanks for understanding, some people just don't get how you can become
attached to an animal. Their loss really.

Christine

Old December 30th 05, 09:06 PM posted to alt.support.single-parents

CME wrote:
Exactly. lol

But thanks for understanding, some people just don't get how you can become
attached to an animal. Their loss really.

Your post really made me cry (and I'm at work darn it all). I just
wanted to say that I think your dog really knew that s/he meant a lot
to you and listened to you for comfort. I'm not really a pet-lover, but
I am glad there are people like you who make great humans for the pets
out there. Your dog had a great life, I can just tell.

Karen

Old January 2nd 06, 04:15 AM posted to alt.support.single-parents

"Karen" wrote in message
oups.com...

CME wrote:
Exactly. lol

But thanks for understanding, some people just don't get how you can
become
attached to an animal. Their loss really.

Your post really made me cry (and I'm at work darn it all). I just
wanted to say that I think your dog really knew that s/he meant a lot
to you and listened to you for comfort. I'm not really a pet-lover, but
I am glad there are people like you who make great humans for the pets
out there. Your dog had a great life, I can just tell.

Karen

Ah geez YOUR post made ME cry. lol Thanks though, it was so nice to hear.

Christine