Sarah Key's huge balls (also: Kids can SQUAT motionless for hours)

Old July 31st 03, 08:07 PM
Todd Gastaldo

Default Sarah Key's huge balls (also: Kids can SQUAT motionless for hours)

First things first...

PREGNANT WOMEN: MDs are closing birth canals up to 30%. It's EASY to allow
your birth canal to OPEN the "extra" up to 30%!

NOTE: You DON'T have to squat to allow your birth canal to open maximally.

Just roll onto your side as you push your baby out. BUT - see WARNING,
WARNING, WARNING, below...

MOST CHILDREN SQUAT SPONTANEOUSLY...

CAUTION...

As I noted in my peer review of the US Public Health Service sponsored low
back guideline:

No one should be *forced* to squat. Nor should anyone be forced to sit in a
chair... Yet we force children into chairs daily...

See Nachemson v. Billions of Africans, Arabs and Asians...
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...-snr1.gtei.net

SARAH KEY'S HUGE BALLS...

SARAH KEY (physiotherapist to HRH Prince of Wales) suggests that huge balls
("Medi-balls") are "ideal seating for computers, especially for children."
http://www.sarahkey.com/thought.cfm?ID=41

I use a 75 cm ball all the time while working on the computer. I used to
sit on the ball like a chair - but now I sit on the floor on a cushion and
lean back on the ball. Much of the time (perhaps most of the time) I lean
sideways on it, alternating between sides. Also, I use the ball for
back/abdominal exercise on breaks... I don't think I'll ever go back to a
chair.

Sarah Key was a "big draw...an overwhelming success" at the Annual General
Meeting of Britain's BackCare Charity for Healthier Backs...
http://www.backpain.org/pages/p_page...rahkeyagm2.php

ATTENTION Britain's BackCare Charity for Healthier Backs (via
)...

Like Sarah, BackCare suggests (see quote below) that sitting in front of
computers and TVs is causing back pain/setting children up for back pain
later in life...

*Is* sitting in front of computers and TVs causing back pain/setting
children up for back pain later in life?

OR... Is sitting on CHAIRS causing back pain/setting children up for back
pain? (Most humans on the planet can SQUAT motionless for hours.)

I don't think anyone knows the answer to these questions - but WHY are we
allowing Western culture to rob children of their innate comfortable
prolonged squatting ability?

**WHY** CHILDREN SQUAT SPONTANEOUSLY?

In 1986, the late Arthur Guyton, MD wrote:

"Even such simple activities as sitting for a long time...can cause tissue
destruction...Cessation of blood
flow to the skin...usually...cause[s] pain...[within]...20 to 30 minutes"
(p. 594)...when the skin becomes painful as a result of the ischemia, the
person shifts weight unconsciously" (p. 592). [Guyton AC. Textbook of
Medical Physiology. 7th ed. Phil: W.B. Saunders 1986]

Whereas most humans on the planet can squat for hours nearly motionless...

CHAIRDWELLING CHILDREN SQUIRM IN THEIR CHAIRS...

Chairdwelling children (and adults) squirm in their chairs as they LOSE this
precious innate rest posture...

In 1987, Newsweek reported that children can only sit still for 15 minutes
at a time in their chairs:

"Educators say that many five-year olds really can't handle a highly
academic program. They're still learning how to sit still for more than
15 minutes at a time." [Kantrowitz B, Wingert P. The big grind in
kindergarten. Newsweek (Aug10)1987. From Gastaldo's peer review of the
AHCPR-sponsored Low Back Guideline draft.]

NOTE: The just mentioned AHCPR-sponsored panel (mostly MDs) ignored my peer
review efforts and concluded that "Sitting is safe." : (

Sarah says: "Far more insidious for spinal health [than backpacks] is what
the computer age is doing to our kids...protracted hours of sitting, the
unusually static nature of that pose, and the actual ergonomics of the
setup. Children can sit for hours, inert and hunched over a computer screen,
their only physical effort being a couple of keystrokes and pushing the
mouse...[T]he bases of their spines suffer through the static squashing of
sitting (and remember in earlier evolutionary forms we never sat, we
squatted!) which progressively leaches water from the shock-absorbing
intervertebral discs, it is really the upper end of the spine which suffers
most.
http://www.sarahkey.com/thought.cfm?ID=41

BOTH sitting and squatting squeeze water out of the lumbar discs. Squeezing
water out of lumbar discs is considered healthy by some.

See Adams and Hutton cited in: Nachemson v. Billions of Africans, Arabs and
Asians...
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...-snr1.gtei.net

As above... Is it long hours motionless - or is it long hours motionless on
CHAIRS that is doing the damage?

Again, I don't think anyone knows for sure - but why are we letting Western
culture rob our children of a fundamental human rest posture?

SARAH KEY, physiotherapist says: "We used to squat"...
"Humans never used to sit around in chairs, we used to squat. On the Indian
sub-continent people still squat to cook...it's fantastic for decompression
of the spine...it's one of the main therapeutic exercises I use."
--Sarah Key, physiotherapist. Quoted by Pat Hagan in the Evening Standard -
28-Jan-02
http://www.sarahkey.com/extract.cfm?ID=7

SARAH KEY, physiotherapist also says: "Maintain a better lumbar hollow"...

"[S]itting...leaches water from the shock-absorbing intervertebral
discs...[M]aintain[ing] a better lumbar hollow (lumbar lordosis)...helps
prevent the whole spine slumping in a crumpled 'C' shape...[Remember in
earlier evolutionary forms we never sat, we squatted!]"--Sarah Key,
physiotherapist
http://www.sarahkey.com/thought.cfm?ID=41 (exclamation point Sarah's)

OPEN LETTER (archived at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/chiro-list/message/2084)

Sarah Key
Physiotherapist
The Sarah Key Physiotherapy Centre,
44 Bridge Street
Sydney 2000
(612) 9247 8627
Fax (612) 9221 8103
via http://www.sarahkey.com/contact.cfm
also via )

Sarah,

Maintain the lumbar lordosis?

Most humans on the planet make the lumbar lordosis DISAPPEAR in
circumstances in which we Westerners would sit in chairs or on bus benches.

Sarah, you say that humans "used" to squat "in earlier evolutionary forms" -
even as you acknowledge that humans on the Indian sub-continent still squat.

Surely you can't be saying that humans on the Indian sub-continent comprise
"earlier evolutionary forms." (!)

Whatever the case, I urge you to stop blithely accepting The Great Squat
Robbery. ("[W]e used to squat.")

Canadian orthopedic surgeon W. Harry Fahrni, MD recommended that ALL
children - including and especially OUR children - be encouraged to maintain
their innate comfortable prolonged squatting ability. [Orth Clin N Am 1975]

THOSE WITH GREATER FLEXIBILITY MAY HAVE A LOWER RISK OF FUTURE BACK
INJURY...

As I noted in my peer review of the first draft of the 1994 US Public Health
Service sponsored Acute Low Back Problems Guideline:

Making squatting an activity of daily living again would certainly increase
"flexibility," a distinct concern of the U.S. Department of Health and Human
Services, Public Health Service. Quoting from the PHS publication Healthy
People 2000:

"Flexibility describes the range of motion in a joint or sequence of joints.
Those with greater flexibility may have a lower risk of future back
injury...Joint movement through the full range of motion helps to improve
and maintain flexibility...

"...The performance of routine daily activities is particularly important to
maintaining functional independence and social integration in older adults.
Increasing public awareness of all of these potential benefits may help to
encourage the pursuit of activities that will promote...flexibility."
[Harrell JA, Artz LM, Files A, Baker D (eds.). Healthy people 2000: National
health promotion and disease prevention objectives. DHHS Pub. No.
(PHS)91-50212, 1991:100]

Sarah, you write that what the back does is "sheer genius...so strong and
flexible...most of the time we simply take it for granted."
http://www.sarahkey.com/yourpain.cfm

Why are we taking for granted the mass robbery of a restful fundamental
human flexibility?

Thanks for reading,

Sincerely,

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo

PS1

IMRCI is "a transformation of the former Research Department of the
Anglo-European College of Chiropractic."
http://www.imrci.ac.uk/Origins/origins.html

IMRCI is "undertak[ing] musculoskeletal health research in such areas as:
prevention of disabilities..."
http://www.imrci.ac.uk/Objectives/objectives.html

IMRCI is directed by Alan Breen, DC, PhD )

Alan,

UNREST. Our culture is causing it - literally - globally.

Amid chiropractic silence, Western children are losing bony "squatting"
facets as they are robbed of an innate way to rest on their feet for hours
in virtually any terrain...

In 2001, Eve-Line Boule, chercheur associé at CÉPAM wrote:

"[S]quatting was a regular behavior used until the end of the Middle Ages,
and after this period a progressive decrease occurs..."
[Am J Phys Anthropol 2001 May;115(1):50-6]

I replied:

The Great Squat Robbery that started in the Middle Ages starts anew in
elementary schools every year!

See CÉPAM, the Great Squat Robbery (and mass obstetric crime)
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...700%40dfiatx1-
snr1.gtei.net

Director Alan, loss of the innate squatting ability is spreading the
"chairdweller's" disability...

Please direct IMRCI to help stop The Great Squat Robbery...

IDENTIFICATION OF MECHANISM

One of the IMRCI objectives is to research "identification of mechanism"...
http://www.imrci.ac.uk/Objectives/objectives.html

One mechanism for calling attention to The Great Squat Robbery might be to
call upon MDs to stop closing birth canals...

I mention this in part because British MDs (Gardosi et al.) have suggested
that MDs are closing birth canals *because* of The Great Squat Robbery!

See Gardosi et al.'s 1989 Lancet "randomised controlled trial of
squatting" - where nobody squatted...

CHILDREN PLANT THEMSELVES IN FRONT OF COMPUTERS...

Britain's BackCare Charity for Healthier Backs has suggested that sitting in
front of computers is causing back pain...

Here's a pertinent excerpt from a 2000 BackCare press release...

"[W]e allow our children to lead such sedentary lifestyles that in later
life they are at high risk of back pain...Emma Tait, Executive Director of
BackCare comments: 'It seems that children today would much rather come home
from school and plant themselves in front of a computer game, or trade
Pokemon cards, than they would spend time being active. Cycling, playing
football or any of the other activities adults enjoyed in childhood, are
ignored by many children today'....BackCare wants parents to cut the amount
of time that their children are allowed to spend playing computer games or
watching TV..."
http://www.backpain.org/pages/p_pages/pr-children.php

Sorry to be repetitive but...

*Is* sitting in front of computers and TVs causing back pain - setting
children up for back pain later in life?

OR... Is sitting on CHAIRS in front of computers and TVs causing back
pain/setting children up for back pain?

REMEMBER: Most humans on the planet can plant themselves motionless in a
squat for hours - and Sarah Key says she uses squatting as therapy for back
pain patients...

MAYBE squatting prevents back pain...

Regardless....why are we robbing children of an all-terrain human rest
posture?

Since "BackCare...funds research and campaigns to raise the profile of
issues surrounding back pain"...

Perhaps IMRCI could apply for funds to start raise the profile of the Great
Squat Robbery and the related MD practice of closing birth canals at
delivery.

Just a thought Alan...

Copied to IMRCI STAFF

Alan Breen DC PhD
(Director)
Email:

Jennifer Langworthy MPhil
(Senior Research Fellow)
Email:

Jill Sutherland
(Audit Analyst)
Email:

Jane Baker
(Secretary)
Email:

IMRCI VISITING FELLOWS

Michelle Carrington BSc DC FCC
(Visiting Research Fellow)
Email:

Steven Vogel DO
(Visiting Research Fellow)
Email:

PS2

PREGNANT WOMEN (I say again): MDs are closing birth canals up to 30%.

It's EASY to allow your birth canal to OPEN the "extra" up to 30%!

You don't have to squat to do it!

Just roll onto your side as you push your baby out! BUT - see WARNING,
WARNING, WARNING at the very end of this post...

MDs KNOW THEY ARE COMMITTING THE CRIME...

"It is established obstetric teaching that a narrow pelvic outlet
predisposes to a difficult vaginal delivery..."
--Ass-Ärztin Dr. Andrea Froschauer-Frudinger et al. via
[Frudinger et al. Br J Obstet Gynaecol
2002;109(11):1207-12]

PHYSICIANS ARE **LYING** - BABIES BE DAMNED...

Physicians are now saying, "*We* aren't damaging babies - babies are being
damaged
BEFORE birth."

Frances Cowan, PhD and colleagues mention an interesting development:

"Until recently hypoxic-ischaemic events in the perinatal period were
assumed to be the main cause for early neonatal encephalopathy...[but now
antenatal factors are being implicated]..."

[Cowan F, Rutherford M, Groenedaal F, Eken P, Mercuri E, Bydder GM,
Meiners LC, Dubowitz LMS, de Vries LS, Origin and timing of brain lesions in
term infants with neonatal encephalopathy. The Lancet
(Mar1)2003;361:736-42.]

I suspect some MD researchers began FRAUDULENTLY implicating antenatal
events back in the 1980s - back when the public started learning of the
radiographic evidence that squatting opens birth canals up to 30%.

FACT: MDs began overtly LYING when in the early 1990s I began pointing
out that the phrase "squatting opens birth canals up to 30%" -
usefully translated - means MDs have been CLOSING birth canals up to 30%.

Cowan et al. write:

"Our findings show that more than 90% of term infants
with neonatal encephalopathy...without specific syndromes or major
congenital defects, had evidence of perinatally acquired insults...Reasons
for injuries of perinatal onset remain poorly understood."

Even if MDs (and MBs) are NOT causing neonatal encephalopathy by closing
birth canals - they should STOP closing birth canals...

I've often pointed out that the obivous massive MD birth crime (MDs
senselessly closing birth canals) becomes most obvious when one
realizes that MDs are slashing vaginas en masse (euphemism "routine
episiotomy") surgically/FRAUDULENTLY inferring they are doing everything
possible to OPEN birth canals even as they CLOSE birth canals.

See again: Squatting, Nurse Jenn's genital piercing, the Anti-Vagina - and
Kingston General's Human Mobility Centre...
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e... earthlink.net

Nurse Jenn *wanted* her vagina modified.

I submit
that most women *don't* want their vaginas modified - at least not at
birth - and they certainly don't want their babies' brains modified by
MD-obstetricians senselessly closing birth canals...

Two Canadian MDs - Erica Eason and Perle Feldman -
recommend
"consumer
pressures" to stop the mass vagina slashing:

"[i]t is clear that episiotomy is a MAJOR contributor to trauma,
pain, and suffering in parturients. Changes in practice can be
effectively introduced through CONSUMER PRESSURES...Routine
episiotomy remains common even in teaching institutions. 'Who
cares about a little cut?' was a frequent comment from
obstetricians...Given the evidence, there should be widespread
abandonment of routine episiotomy "
Erica Eason, MDCM, FRCSC and Perle Feldman, MDCM, FCFP
Obstet Gynecol 2000;95:616-8. Emphasis added.

Whereas Erica and Perle recommend "consumer pressures"...

I recommend "consumer PRESSURIZERS" - THE POLICE...

I just want MD-obstetricians to stop their massive crime. I am in
favor of pardons in advance for MDs. MDs are just academic
prime cuts forced through this culture's most powerful mental meatgrinder -
medical school.

MORE obvious criminal negligence by MDs...

At the University of Hawaii Med School...

"Most first year residents finish the year having performed over 50 cesarean
sections as the primary surgeon."
http://hawaiimed.hawaii.edu/residenc...ms/obgyn5.html

Arrrrggghhh! This is obvious criminal negligence IF - as is the case all
over the world - women are forced into "failure to progress" on their
backs/butts - on their sacra - closing their birth canals up to 30%.

Cephalopelvic disproportion/failure to progress is often the reason given
for cesareans.

Sometimes cesarean section is necessary - but MDs are CAUSING cephalopelvic
disproportion/failure to progress - then "performing" cesarean sections
BEcause of cephalopelvic disproportion/failure to progress...

MDs are also forcing uteri to push with birth canals closed up to 30% - then
chemically whipping uteri to push VIOLENTLY - with oxytocin/Cytotec - with
birth canals senselessly closed up to 30%.

No wonder women beg for epidurals!

MDs also pull on babies' heads with their hands in most vaginal births -
with birth canals senselessly closed up to 30%.

In some institutions - in 26% of births (!) - MDs reach INSIDE the vagina -
with forceps/vacuum extractors - and pull babies out by their skulls -
through birth canals senselessly closed up to 30%.

Sometimes MDs pull so hard they rip spinal nerves out of tiny spinal cords!

Incredibly, MDs have blamed their bizarre birth-canal-closing behavior on
the West's loss of a fundamental human rest posture!

See Gardosi et al.'s 1989 Lancet "controlled trial of squatting" - where
nobody squatted...

See also: Chiro orthopedists and global UNREST - and babies...
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e... arthlink.net

MD-psychiatrists should be just as interested in DC-orthopedists in stopping
The Great Squat Robbery...

In 1944, psychiatrist EA Strecker, MD indirectly suggested there may be
psychiatric ramifications of our culture-wide loss of a fundamental human
range of motion...

"Are we not a crossroads in the path of our civilization when it would be
well for us to emulate that tribe of Amazon River natives who, from time to
time, interrupt their customary routine of activities and squat on the
ground? Neither persuasion nor threat serves to move them until an alloted
time has elapsed. They declare they are waiting for their 'souls to catch
up with their bodies...'" [E.A. Strecker, MD. 1944 Presidential Address
before the American Psychiatric Association. Am J Psychiatry. 1944;101:1-8]

PROBLEM: Western culture ROBS the comfortable prolonged flat-footed
squatting ability.

See again: Chiro orthopedists and global UNREST, URL above.

PREGNANT WOMEN! It's EASY to open your birth canal an "extra" up to
30%!

Just roll onto your side as you push your baby out! PLEASE talk to your MD
about this NOW...

WARNING
WARNING
WARNING
WARNING: Some MDs will let women "try" side-lying and
other
"alternative" delivery positions - but they will move women back to
semisitting -
close their birth canals (!) at
the very worst possible moment (as the baby is coming out)...

See GASTALDO'S ABSTRACT - my invited poster presentation at a recent
obstetric congress co-sponsored by the American College of Obstetricians and
Gynecologists/ACOG. (NOTE: GASTALDO'S ABSTRACT is on the web: Search
"GASTALDO'S ABSTRACT
Paciornik"...)

Last but not least....

PAUL T. HAGEMAN, PhD (Nursing)
Chair
Department of Holistic Health Studies
Nursing
D'Youville College
PAW 418
phone: 881-3200 X6518

http://www.dyc.edu/contact/ (Search Last name: "Hageman")

Paul,

As I indicated on the telephone, I'm looking forward with avid interest to
the upcoming chiropractic program at D'Youville College...

Since your PhD is in nursing...

A NURSING ISSUE...

Why aren't MDs telling pregnant women that they can be nursing IMMUNIZERS
just by breastfeeding?

Why aren't MDs telling Americans that breastfeeding women scan their
environment for pathogens and manufacture specific IMMUNIZATIONS which they
"inject" with their breasts DAILY?

There is a kicker Paul: Nursing/breastfeeding/breastimmunization reportedly
makes MD-needle vaccinations work better!

What woman - explicitly informed - is going to fail to at least *attempt* to
breastfeed her baby? (Some women already share their breastmilk with women
who can't breastfeed; I suspect many more would step forward once America
learned that breastmilk actually contains IMMUNIZATIONS in addition to
nutrition.)

NURSES could make the breastfeeding rate SKYROCKET by telling America and
the world about this amazing innate immunization ability of humans and other
mammals...

Chiropractically speaking Paul, America's healthcare system is BADLY
subluxated when babies can't even get free daily immunizations!

Why aren't *chiropractic* academic and political organizations discussing
this issue? (And why isn't this neuromusculoskeletal-"range of
motion"-focused
profession called chiropractic publicly discussing the culture-wide loss of
range of motion discussed above?!)

I think it is because chiropractic academic and political organizations are
focusing on "mainstreaming"/"integrating" themselves - ignoring the
fundamental chiropractic hypothesis of chiropractic's founder, Dr. DD
Palmer...

Paul, I think you said you will be "integrating" chiropractic with other
health professional programs there at D'Youville College...

I like this focus. It bodes well for the future of healthcare - as long as
the various professions don't have to lose their distinct identities in the
process...

I am hoping that with your NURSING background you will make sure the
upcoming D'Youville College chiropractic program neglects neither nursing
(CHIROPRACTIC IMMUNIZATIONS for babies) nor Dr. DD Palmer's fundamental
chiropractic hypothesis, now published as the definition of chiropractic in
Dorland's Illustrated Medical Dictionary...

NOTE TO PAUL: If the D'Youville chiropractic program is asked to affiliate
with the Association of Chiropractic Colleges/ACC - make sure you tell ACC
member colleges that they've got Dr. DD Palmer's Innate "diagnostic trick"
exactly backwards!

See Breastfeeding = Chiropractic immunization!

See also: Innate = Spirit (also: Dog subluxations - and Dr. DD Palmer: 'My
own son put me in prison'...)
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e....earthlink.net

Good luck!

Paul is a member of the Healthcare Executive Forum (HEF). "An independent,
non-profit, professional membership organization and affiliate of the
American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE)...an invaluable resource to
executives working in today's continuously changing health care market."
http://www.hefwny.org/about.html

Healthcare executives should integrate DD-straight chiropractic into their
programs.

I will cc Paul's fellow HEF members. Hopefully one or more of them will
formally ask the American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE) to start
demanding that MDs stop lying by omission. In addition to committing mass
PHYSICAL child abuse (by senselessly closing birth canals) - American MDs
are causing mass IMMUNOLOGIC child abuse - by failing to inform American
women that they are IMMUNIZERS.

Again: What woman - explicitly informed - is going to fail to at least
*attempt* to breastfeed her baby?

ACHE could make the breastfeeding rate SKYROCKET.

What an unfortunate acronym, ACHE...

END Note to PAUL HAGEMAN, PhD (Nursing)...

PREGNANT WOMEN! It's EASY to open your birth canal an "extra" up to
30%!

Just roll onto your side as you push your baby out! PLEASE talk to your MD
about this NOW...

WARNING, WARNING, WARNING, WARNING: Some MDs will let women "try"
side-lying and
other
"alternative" delivery positions - but they will move women back to
semisitting -
close their birth canals (!) at
the very worst possible moment (as the baby is coming out)...

See GASTALDO'S ABSTRACT - my invited poster presentation at a recent
obstetric congress co-sponsored by the American College of Obstetricians and
Gynecologists/ACOG. (NOTE: GASTALDO'S ABSTRACT is on the web: Search
"GASTALDO'S ABSTRACT
Paciornik"...)

See above.

Thanks for reading,

Sincerely,

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo

***This post will be instantly archived for global access at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/chiro-list/message/2084.

Within 24 hours it
will be in the google archive. Search
http://groups.google.com for "Sarah Key's huge balls (also: Kids can SQUAT
motionless for hours)"

Old August 4th 03, 04:46 PM
Rich Shewmaker

Any kid who's motionless for hours is comatose or dead.

Old August 4th 03, 10:24 PM
Mark Probert

Rich Shewmaker wrote:

Any kid who's motionless for hours is comatose or dead.

or....

Looking for the relevance of Jan's posts to the thread topic....

Fighting Over Kids Stepdad1963 General 8 May 5th 04 07:15 PM
WSJ: How to Give Your Child A Longer Life Jean B. General 0 December 9th 03 07:10 PM
Bright 2nd grader & school truancy / part-time home-school? Vicki General 215 November 1st 03 10:07 PM
DCF CT monitor finds kids *worsen* while in state custody Kane General 8 August 13th 03 07:43 AM
FWD bad judgement or abuse Trunk kids begged to ride Kane General 2 August 5th 03 05:54 PM