12 Week US

Old October 16th 03, 03:44 AM
Leanne

Default 12 Week US

We had our 12 week US on monday to scan for birth defects.... Apparently
Australia is the only country that offer this service to low risk people,
does anyone know if its true?

Anyways, we got in there and she put it up on the screen, and this baby was
going spastic! lol it was so funny, it was rolling around and kicking and
punching and moving some more. The lady doing the ultrasound kept laughing
because she was trying to get measurements and it wouldnt stay in the
postions long enough to capture a still image! anyway, she got me to go to
the toilet to see if we could get it to settle down and move on to its
back... sure enough, when i got back it was in a weird postion and all
huddled up... we then realised that it had fallen asleep!! took 5 minutes to
wake it up... it then looked like it was bopping its head to music... I
think it was just swallowing though. Very cute! and all at 12 weeks... alot
more interesting that the 8 week one!!

Had to share!

Leanne.

Old October 16th 03, 04:21 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Leanne wrote:

We had our 12 week US on monday to scan for birth defects.... Apparently
Australia is the only country that offer this service to low risk people,
does anyone know if its true?

It is common (though not universal and not recommended
by the ACOG) to offer a 20-ish week anomal scan in the US.
Glad you enjoyed your scan.

Best wishes,

Ericka

Old October 16th 03, 10:32 AM
Welches

Leanne wrote in message
We had our 12 week US on monday to scan for birth defects.... Apparently
Australia is the only country that offer this service to low risk people,
does anyone know if its true?

They may be the only country to offer at 12 weeks to everyone. In the Uk
they may do a dating scan at about 10-12 weeks, and nucheal fold (downs risk
test) at about the same time. The nucheal fold scan is being trialed in
areas at the moment with the idea of eventually offering it to everyone who
wants it. The main birth defect scan is at 18-23 weeks (anomely) and is
offered to everyone, high or low risk. I think that it is easier to spot
some defects later.
Anyways, we got in there and she put it up on the screen, and this baby

was
going spastic! lol it was so funny, it was rolling around and kicking and
punching and moving some more. The lady doing the ultrasound kept laughing
because she was trying to get measurements and it wouldnt stay in the
postions long enough to capture a still image! anyway, she got me to go to
the toilet to see if we could get it to settle down and move on to its
back... sure enough, when i got back it was in a weird postion and all
huddled up... we then realised that it had fallen asleep!! took 5 minutes

wake it up... it then looked like it was bopping its head to music... I
think it was just swallowing though. Very cute! and all at 12 weeks...

alot
more interesting that the 8 week one!!

I had so much movement at the 12 week scan. They had great difficulty
getting a measurement for dating. It was much stiller at 34 weeks when it
was running out of space. I'd add that I haven't had an 8 week scan, but the
20 week scan was much better for me than the 12 week scan. You could see the
face so clearly (as well as possibly seeing sex if you were interested.)
Debbie

Old October 16th 03, 12:39 PM
Sidheag McCormack

Debbie writes:

In the Uk [...] The main birth defect scan is at 18-23 weeks
(anomely) and is offered to everyone, high or low risk.

No, this too is area-dependent. In my area, only a dating scan is offered
routinely (and annoyingly, the nuchal fold scan is not available on the NHS
to anyone here, apparently). I was offered a 19-week scan, but this was
because my blood tests showed high hCG.

Sidheag
edd Oct 13th

Old October 16th 03, 02:50 PM
Ilse Witch

Leanne wrote:
We had our 12 week US on monday to scan for birth defects.... Apparently
Australia is the only country that offer this service to low risk people,
does anyone know if its true?

Nope, the Netherlands also does it in most midwife practices. And if
they don't offer it, you can always ask and insurance still has to pay.

Glad all is well. U/s can be so nice...

--
-- I
mommy to DS (14m)

Old October 16th 03, 07:18 PM
Coccinella

That is so nice Leanne.
I had a similar experience. My baby kicked for a bit and then it fell asleep
in the wrong position for the measurements. It took the tech a while to wake
him/her up.

Glad to hear that everything is fine.

Love

Nicky

Old October 16th 03, 07:57 PM
Welches

Sidheag McCormack wrote in message
Debbie writes:

In the Uk [...] The main birth defect scan is at 18-23 weeks
(anomely) and is offered to everyone, high or low risk.

No, this too is area-dependent. In my area, only a dating scan is offered
routinely (and annoyingly, the nuchal fold scan is not available on the

NHS
to anyone here, apparently). I was offered a 19-week scan, but this was
because my blood tests showed high hCG.

Which area are you in? I've not come across any area that doesn't
automatically offer it before-you have to opt out deliberately in some
areas. The nuchal fold is only in some areas, I am now in one, but I think
it's only a couple of areas that are trialing doing this.
Debbie

Old October 16th 03, 08:38 PM
Carol Ann

: We had our 12 week US on monday to scan for birth defects.... Apparently
: Australia is the only country that offer this service to low risk people,
: does anyone know if its true?

Wow, sounds like your experience was wonderful! I'm at 17ish weeks and
would LOVE to have another ultrasound.

Perhaps I can ask for one? My doctor said we won't have another one until I
am at 30 weeks to determine birth defects.

Wow, I am so envious!! Did you videotape it? Get pictures?

~Carol Ann

Old October 17th 03, 01:03 PM
Linz

Debbie writes:

In the Uk [...] The main birth defect scan is at 18-23 weeks
(anomely) and is offered to everyone, high or low risk.

No, this too is area-dependent. In my area, only a dating scan is offered
routinely (and annoyingly, the nuchal fold scan is not available on the

NHS
to anyone here, apparently). I was offered a 19-week scan, but this was
because my blood tests showed high hCG.

Which area are you in? I've not come across any area that doesn't
automatically offer it before-you have to opt out deliberately in some
areas. The nuchal fold is only in some areas, I am now in one, but I think
it's only a couple of areas that are trialing doing this.

I was being seen in Rochdale up to 24 weeks. Their standard is a 20
week scan - it's not a high quality anomaly scan, certainly it took
far less time than the nuchal scan I had done privately (it's not
offered on the NHS either in the Rochdale health area or the
Calderdale area, which is where I transferred to).
--
EDD 1/11/03
37 weeks
Old October 18th 03, 10:52 PM
Daye

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 12:14:26 +0930, "Leanne"
wrote:

We had our 12 week US on monday to scan for birth defects.... Apparently
Australia is the only country that offer this service to low risk people,
does anyone know if its true?

Not true. I know people in the US who have had it, but they had to
ask for it.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan

Not looking like it's going to be this week..... Karen Pregnancy 6 September 9th 03 11:32 PM
UPDATE (Was: Cruise in the 34th week of pregnancy) Elly Pregnancy 1 August 22nd 03 09:05 PM
35 week update from Tiina Tiina Kartovaara Pregnancy 13 August 22nd 03 12:39 PM
36 week update Shannon Pregnancy 1 August 18th 03 09:27 PM
33 Week Appt--complaining, mostly! GoofeeGyrl Pregnancy 11 July 31st 03 04:12 AM