vomitting - why?

Old March 28th 07, 06:58 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

Default vomitting - why?

"Stephanie" wrote in

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
On the other hand, since you suspect other issues,
it also wouldn't surprise me if there was some
relationship there. I doubt anyone can get to the bottom
of this without the child actually being evaluated. It's
a shame the parents don't see to be concerned. It sounds
like it would be in the child's best interests to get some
answers.

I am not sure it would be in their best interest (from
their point of view) for folks to look too closely at them,
I'm afraid.

as a child care provider, aren't you required to be a
manditory reporter?
is this boy their only child? if so, maybe they are just
clueless, but with his lack of verbalization & the mom's
evasiveness, i think maybe someone needs to get the kid/family
some help. i'm so *not* a fan of child services, but if mom is
really clueless someone needs to help her out & if the kid is
a little developmentally slow (it could be the chronic
exhaustion though), the sooner he gets help, the better.
lee
Old March 28th 07, 07:06 PM posted to misc.kids
Stephanie

"Jeff" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Stephanie" wrote in message

"Jeff" wrote in message
link.net...

"Stephanie" wrote in message
I am concerned about a child in my care at my family daycare. Normally
it would be up to Mom to pursue this with her ped. She is not going to
do this. I don't know why. I won't go on about my feelings about this
Mom. I cant tell if her actions are deliberately trying to hide
something or if she is the height of lazy. Suffice it to say this is not
the first unaddressed issue.

The first question that comes to mind is: "Why is this kid in your
daycare?" It doesn't sound like it is a good match between you and the
child. Both of you may be better off if he is in someone else's care.

Um. I don't even know what to say to that.

I really admire your devotion to this child.

I just wish that I could say the same thing of his mother. So do you.

So. Little boy, 5yo. Has SOME kind of learning disability. It is as yet
unidentified. Per Mom, ped has never commented on his development
(despite the fact that at age 4 he had not uttered a single word ever).
My point to the backstory is that he is disadvantaged in some way, but
I don't know how. Oh another part of the backstory, he is chronically
sleep deprived. How do I say this without sounding like a total bitch?
I guess I don't. I risk it. He is a virtual wild animal at home. When
he wants something he grunts and whines. Throws himself on the floor.
Mom does not put him to bed really. She just tells him to get in bed
where he plays with toys and watches tv until he collapses, often
around 11:00 or 12:00. Then up to be to my house for 7:00. If I have
him nap here, he is up even later at home.

So. Every so often he will have a spell of vomitting. About once a
week, at snack time he will look green and even more tired than usual.
Then he will get sick one to three times and fall asleep, regardless of
the chaos around him.

There does not seem to be any corrolation with food, though I am very
concerned about a food allergy since they can go from benign to life
threatening in a short period of time.

Can shear exhaustion cause vomitting? I plan on calling my ped, but I
want to wait until afternoon when they are done with the morning rush.

Thanks for any thoughts.

I would either call child protective services or dismiss him from your
child care. Or both.

I have called CPS. Twice. No bruises. No action. And if I remove him from
my care, then what? Sure. It's not my problem any more. But what about
him? Prior to coming here, he would not talk (at 4 years old). He was
terrified of everyone. If someone's body moved to close to him, he would
cringe and shake but become stone silent. He did not look at books. He
did not play with toys. So I ship him off to puke on someone else?

The reality is that this kid need specialized care that you can't give.

No kidding! Mom is not going to find it for him. I have tried, but I am
not his mother. Without the mother's consent, it does not happen. I went
so far as to get the local EEE to come to MY house for assessments and
lessons. All Mom had to do was call and Ok. Strangely no call. I have
been pestering her for months for an updated immunization record. Funny
thing is, I am probably going to have to get rid of them just so I don't
risk my own registration.

Not really funny.

I'd mention the immunization records problem to CPS, too.

He should be in a preschool that can help him with his learning
disability.

You preacher. Me choir. That and a lot of money will get us a Starbucks,
my friend. At least when he hits Kindy next year (compulsory) *someone*
will be looking a little more closely.

A kid without learning disabilities (as well with parents) can stand to
lose 4 or 5 months. I wish I knew what to say. At least, you can notify
the school before he gets there. They may have someone who is able to
start getting him the services he needs soon after he starts there. It
seems obvious that without any notice, they would notice his lack of
skills.

They have a standard procedure of pre-kindy assessment. You have to schedule
an appointment and the child goes in for 2 meetings with the teachers.
Hopefully that will do the trick. I am treading a careful balance here. Mom
KNOWS I called CPS on her once. I don't want to get myself into a position
where I **** her off and get an unsubstantiated claim against me. Nothing
could stick, but still I don't need that headache. Paranoid? Well just
because I am paranoid, does not mean that they are not out to get me.

I think your idea of talking to your ped is a good idea. (S)He might also
be able to talk to people who can really help.

Nope. She basically said to do what I was already doing and cover my ass.
There is not much a non-parent can do.

And it sounds like there are some issues concerning his care at home.

Um. Yes.

You know, you are going to go into withdrawal when he leaves your care. So
will he. He'll find people who care as much as his mother appears to care
at his new school. Hoepfully he will find people who care as much as you
do.

I can take a little withdrawal. I am heading on toward more than I can
handle. He has a sister... and trust me when I tell you that that is no
picnic either.

Thanks for your kind words. It was kind of nice hearing the nurse on the
phone telling me that there really is not much more that I can do and that I
am on the right track. I have a letter to her outlining that she told me she
is taking him to theped and that I look forward to a report so that I can
adjust my care if necessary. A copy is in their file. What else can I do?

Old March 28th 07, 07:09 PM posted to misc.kids
Stephanie

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
"Stephanie" wrote in

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
On the other hand, since you suspect other issues,
it also wouldn't surprise me if there was some
relationship there. I doubt anyone can get to the bottom
of this without the child actually being evaluated. It's
a shame the parents don't see to be concerned. It sounds
like it would be in the child's best interests to get some
answers.

I am not sure it would be in their best interest (from
their point of view) for folks to look too closely at them,
I'm afraid.

as a child care provider, aren't you required to be a
manditory reporter?

Twice already. Got my ass handed to me on a plate last time.

is this boy their only child?

No.

if so, maybe they are just
clueless,

They are certainly that. It is
a. Difficult to determine if they are *merely* clueless or if there is
something more nefarious going on.
b. Difficult to work with since even if clueless IS the problem she is
completely unwilling to discuss or address issues. This, among other things,
makes me wonder if it is *mere* cluelessness.

but with his lack of verbalization & the mom's
evasiveness, i think maybe someone needs to get the kid/family
some help. i'm so *not* a fan of child services, but if mom is
really clueless someone needs to help her out & if the kid is
a little developmentally slow (it could be the chronic
exhaustion though), the sooner he gets help, the better.
lee

Perhaps kindy will have better luck. CPS was out here for an interview and
found no grounds to proceed with abuse (physical abuse was all she was
looking for despite the fact that my report had nothing to do with that). If
there is physical abuse going on, it does not appear to be leaving marks.

Old March 28th 07, 07:28 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

Jeff wrote:

lAt least, you can notify the
school before he gets there.

Can she do that without the parents' consent?

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old March 28th 07, 08:24 PM posted to misc.kids
toto

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 15:37:21 GMT, "Stephanie"
wrote:

Is there any chance he comes to you without eating breakfast?

He eats breakfast at my house. It is afternoon snack time that he gets sick.

I am curious about what you serve. Is it possible he has allergies?

This sounds like he might have sensory issues as well. Has the child
been seen by a developmental pediatrician or pediatric neurologist?
This is a first step in diagnosing the delays. Any child who has not
spoken at all by 4 should certainly be getting speech therapy at the
least.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old March 28th 07, 08:38 PM posted to misc.kids
toto

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 17:23:00 GMT, "Stephanie"
wrote:

At least when he hits Kindy next year (compulsory) *someone* will be
looking a little more closely.

Is K compulsory in your state? It's not in most.

Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, DC, Maryland, New Mexico,
Oklahoma, South Carolina and Virginia are the only places where
school attendence is mandatory at 5. Several of these have parent
waivers that allow children to be held out until they are 6 or 7.

http://nces.ed.gov/programs/statereform/res_tab11.asp

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old March 28th 07, 08:49 PM posted to misc.kids
Stephanie

wrote:

Is there any chance he comes to you without eating breakfast?

He eats breakfast at my house. It is afternoon snack time that he gets
sick.

I am curious about what you serve. Is it possible he has allergies?

Mytracking has yielded no pattern.

This sounds like he might have sensory issues as well. Has the child
been seen by a developmental pediatrician or pediatric neurologist?

No. As discussed in the rest of the thread, I would be overjoyed if I could
get Mom to make sure he has updated immunization records.

This is a first step in diagnosing the delays. Any child who has not
spoken at all by 4 should certainly be getting speech therapy at the
least.

I hear you.

Old March 28th 07, 08:50 PM posted to misc.kids
Stephanie

wrote:

At least when he hits Kindy next year (compulsory) *someone* will be
looking a little more closely.

Is K compulsory in your state? It's not in most.

Attendance becomes compulsory by age 6, whatever grade is deemed
appropriate. K is not specifically compulsory. Sorry I was unclear.

Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, DC, Maryland, New Mexico,
Oklahoma, South Carolina and Virginia are the only places where
school attendence is mandatory at 5. Several of these have parent
waivers that allow children to be held out until they are 6 or 7.

http://nces.ed.gov/programs/statereform/res_tab11.asp

He will be 6 by September.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits

Old March 28th 07, 10:37 PM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers

If I was a parent of another child in your care, I'd be unhappy that a child
was vomitting regularly, even though it seems unlikely it's infectious,
there is always that possibility, it's also distressing for other children
to see a child being sick regularly.

Are home daycare providers mandatory reporters in the same way that daycares
are? If the mum is not responding to your requests to take the child to the
pediatrician when he is clearly not well, I think you'd have every reason to
report, Think you'd be doing the child a favour, he needs to have his health
problems diagnosed and treated/supported.

Anne