lunch ideas

Old March 27th 07, 08:04 PM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers

Default lunch ideas

I've never been very good at lunch, obviously I can do sandwiches, but I
find that gets boring. I need inspiration for quick and easy lunches that
can mostly be prepared from stuff you have around. I'm also open to recipes
that I could cook in bulk and freeze, I have dim memories of some kind of
pork and apple slice that my mum made.

Anne

Old March 29th 07, 09:48 AM posted to misc.kids
Chookie

In article ,
"Anne Rogers" wrote:

I've never been very good at lunch, obviously I can do sandwiches, but I
find that gets boring. I need inspiration for quick and easy lunches that
can mostly be prepared from stuff you have around. I'm also open to recipes
that I could cook in bulk and freeze, I have dim memories of some kind of
pork and apple slice that my mum made.

Apart from sandwiches and toasted sandwiches, what about: "plannedovers";
salads; soups (homemade or tinned)?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old March 29th 07, 04:41 PM posted to misc.kids
Emma

On Mar 29, 2:48 am, Chookie wrote:
In article ,
"Anne Rogers" wrote:

I've never been very good at lunch, obviously I can do sandwiches, but I
find that gets boring. I need inspiration for quick and easy lunches that
can mostly be prepared from stuff you have around. I'm also open to recipes
that I could cook in bulk and freeze, I have dim memories of some kind of
pork and apple slice that my mum made.

Apart from sandwiches and toasted sandwiches, what about: "plannedovers";
salads; soups (homemade or tinned)?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue

I also like leftovers, seriously, works GREAT!! Some of our other
favorites are chicken quesadillas (use canned or leftover chicken)
some cheese and whole wheat tortillas; my kids really like edamame
(and they are even good for you!), they are nice to throw with
something that you think may not be filling enough or contain enough
protein to hold your kid over until dinner; my kids also like cheese
toasted on english muffins (with some fruit and veggies on the side)

Anyway, this is a tough one... I'd just say, don't go all-out....
using leftovers is the best. I find I go through periods where I have
a hard time coming up with meal ideas. These too shall pass...

Old March 29th 07, 04:51 PM posted to misc.kids
Stephanie

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
I've never been very good at lunch, obviously I can do sandwiches, but I
find that gets boring. I need inspiration for quick and easy lunches that
can mostly be prepared from stuff you have around. I'm also open to
recipes that I could cook in bulk and freeze, I have dim memories of some
kind of pork and apple slice that my mum made.

Anne

Lunches to pack or lunches at home? I cannot remember the ages of your
children.

Old March 29th 07, 09:08 PM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers

Apart from sandwiches and toasted sandwiches, what about: "plannedovers"

I seem to forget about them and fine a science project a week later.

salads; soups (homemade or tinned)?

the kids are not desparately keen on either, they will eat salad, but not
enough to not be hungry afterwards and DD in particular has a major carb
thing going on.

Anne

Old March 29th 07, 09:11 PM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers

I also like leftovers, seriously, works GREAT!! Some of our other
favorites are chicken quesadillas (use canned or leftover chicken)
some cheese and whole wheat tortillas;

that's a good one, what's this about canned chicken, being British and
living in the US, there are products I'm not familiar with and I guess
canned chicken is one of them! Does it taste ok? How fatty/sugary is it?
Sounds like it's something I should hunt out. By moving, I've had my food
selection narrowed, but haven't yet figured out the local things.

Anne

Old March 29th 07, 09:11 PM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers

Lunches to pack or lunches at home? I cannot remember the ages of your
children.

sorry, most of the time it's at home, but sometimes we do packed style at
home, DS particularly likes that, he has a sectioned lunch box and I put
something different in each bit.

Anne

Old March 29th 07, 09:18 PM posted to misc.kids
Stephanie

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
Lunches to pack or lunches at home? I cannot remember the ages of your
children.

sorry, most of the time it's at home, but sometimes we do packed style at
home, DS particularly likes that, he has a sectioned lunch box and I put
something different in each bit.

Anne

Homemade mac n cheese - make a batch and freeze in small, small pans. Pull
out of the freezer night before. Bake briefly; done.

store bought ravioli and sauce

store bought hummus and wheat crackers with fruit on the side

cheese burgers in the frying pan, especially if you buy the premade frozen
patties that cost a fortune so DH wont get them (he shops since I am
currently without a car)

favorite deli meat and cream cheese roll ups

favorite sandwich on a wrap instead of regular bread

mini-meatloaves - make your fav meatloaf recipe but cook in muffin tins.
Freeze. Thaw, reheat.

baked potatoes - takes time to cook but not to prepare

cant think of anything else. I am partial to a hotlunch as you can see!

Mac n Cheese
-stick o butter
- 3.5 cups milk
- 8 oz block cheese
- 1 lb macaroni

make white sauce. add cheese to melt. cook noodles. mix. stick in pans. top
with bread crumbs if desired.

Old March 29th 07, 09:18 PM posted to misc.kids
Stephanie

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
Lunches to pack or lunches at home? I cannot remember the ages of your
children.

sorry, most of the time it's at home, but sometimes we do packed style at
home, DS particularly likes that, he has a sectioned lunch box and I put
something different in each bit.

Anne

Another favorite here... google salmon loaf

Old March 29th 07, 09:31 PM posted to misc.kids
Laura Faussone

Anne Rogers wrote:

that's a good one, what's this about canned chicken, being British and
living in the US, there are products I'm not familiar with and I guess
canned chicken is one of them! Does it taste ok? How fatty/sugary is it?
Sounds like it's something I should hunt out. By moving, I've had my food
selection narrowed, but haven't yet figured out the local things.

The canned chicken I've seen is packed in water and is low fat,
but a bit salty. It should be near the canned tuna in your
grocery store. It's probably cheaper to cook and shred your own
chicken, though.

Laura