still pumping

Old March 31st 06, 03:58 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default still pumping

Well, we're nearly to 4 months now, and still pumping and bottle feeding.
Recently, my supply went from way more than adequate to just enough, so I've
been trying to pump more often to maintain a stable supply. I do have about
20 gallons in the freezer, and am starting to rotate stock. My goal is to
keep Emily on ebm until 1 yr. I feel good for making it this far - the dark
days of ppd are behind me. Emily sleeps about 6 hrs at a time most nights.
Everything has been smooth sailing lately. I was wondering - is it time to
start *some* solids, like a bit of rice cereal? Once we introduce that, how
often should we add new things? Developmentally, when approx. will she 1.
roll over 2. sit up 3. start teething?

betsy

Old March 31st 06, 04:07 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"oregonchick" wrote:

Well, we're nearly to 4 months now, and still pumping and bottle feeding.
Recently, my supply went from way more than adequate to just enough, so
I've been trying to pump more often to maintain a stable supply. I do
have about 20 gallons in the freezer, and am starting to rotate stock. My
goal is to keep Emily on ebm until 1 yr. I feel good for making it this
far - the dark days of ppd are behind me. Emily sleeps about 6 hrs at a
time most nights. Everything has been smooth sailing lately. I was
wondering - is it time to start *some* solids, like a bit of rice cereal?
Once we introduce that, how often should we add new things?
Developmentally, when approx. will she 1. roll over 2. sit up 3. start
teething?

betsy

I'm glad the PPD is gone and that you were able to continue pumping this
long! Congratulations.

The recommendation is to wait to offer solids until the baby is 6 months
old. It is better to wait because the baby's gut is not ready to handle
solid foods at this point.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ay-solids.html

The developmental stuff varies. It'll happen when it happens.

My son started rolling over between 4 & 5 months I think and sat up
unassisted at 6 months. He got his first tooth at 9 months.

rj

Old March 31st 06, 05:10 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"oregonchick" wrote in message
Well, we're nearly to 4 months now, and still pumping

WOW - that is great!!

I feel good for making it this far - the dark
days of ppd are behind me. Emily sleeps about 6 hrs at a time most
nights.

Such good news on both counts.

I was wondering - is it time to
start *some* solids, like a bit of rice cereal?

The general recommendation is 6 months. #1 didn't eat anything until 10 mos
by his choice and I started #2 a week before he turned 6 months when he was
*hollering* at every meal, lol.

Once we introduce that, how
often should we add new things?

I waited around 4-6 days between offering new things. She can have all the
old things in the same day but don't add new things closer then that so if
she has a reaction, you know which thing caused it. I evetually quit
worring about that when mine went a few months with no food reactions.

Developmentally, when approx. will she 1.
roll over 2. sit up 3. start teething?

It is all over the map but I'm a sucker for poll type questions so I'll
share what my two did :-)

Rolling over...Both around 4 months but they hardly ever did it, especially
#1.

Sitting up...#1 - 4mos, #2 - 5 or 6 months. #1 hardly moved so that is why
he sat so early I think. He was a late crawler. #2 was more interested
in getting to other things so fell over ;-)

Teething...Both mine got their first teeth at 4 months which is perhaps a
bit early. Didn't phase #1 much and #2 was a grab while teething. To this
day if #2 is not tolerant of discomfort. A hang nail garners enough
complaint you'd think he needed an ER visit ;-)

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99