What about EBM on flights?

Old August 11th 06, 08:17 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Dave {Reply Address In.sig}

Default What about EBM on flights?

Me Myself and I wrote:
As someone with children on a flight you will be able to take EBM on the
plane (they were talking about this on sky news a couple of hours ago) , but
they may well ask you to taste the milk to prove that it is indeed milk.

Which is a pointless exercise because if you were deranged enough to be
planning to blow the plane up with your kids on it as well then you'd
drink some of the stuff even if it tasted foul and was toxic because you
wouldn't be around long enough for the toxicity to kill you.

It's a measure I file under "must be seen to be doing something even if
it's useless".

--
Dave
mail da (without the space)
Old August 12th 06, 02:02 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

Why do you assume that?

I am taking an hour's flight which doesn't need for me to pump on the
plane.

Thanks everyone for their relevant responses.

Anne Rogers wrote:
"Donna Metler" wrote in message
Well, I had a daughter who couldn't nurse, so yes, I had EBM and a breast
pump, on all my flights with her, and in fact, still brought the pump with
me on our most recent trip at 18 months. I never had any trouble with EBM
on
the plane, although I didn't bring extra beyond what I'd need for the
flight
itself. If you've got a baby, they don't tend to question a couple of
bottles of white liquid in an insulated bag with cold packs around them.
And, I never have been hassled over the pump, either-it's considered
medical
equipment and isn't counted as a carry on. I believe I've done 8 round
trips
with Alli since she was born, on several different airlines.

given no mention of concern for being able to pump on the flight etc. it
seemed a reasonable assumption that the OP was not EPing, we know you and
others are out there, but the post seemed to indicate it was a matter of
convenience and wanting to avoid wastage than a matter of necessity. The
current situation causes big problems for anything out of the ordinary, I
would be very very surprised if you could take a cold pack on, for example
and if you are flying out of the UK of BA to the UK there are massive
restrictions, no electrical items at all, we're going to have a difficult
time tomorrow, flying from Seattle to London on BA, we're not even going to
be able to take a toy for Ada, at least we are allowed to take keys, which
should keep her amused!

Anne

Old August 12th 06, 02:22 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

PattyMomVA wrote:
"dkhedmo" wrote and I snipped:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=5635098
NPR : What the Air-Traffic Alert Means for Passengers

"The only exceptions are baby formula, liquid prescription medicines
(the name on the bottle must match the name on your ticket), and essential
over-the-counter liquid medications, which must be presented for
inspection
at the checkpoint."

The NPR article also says:

"The TSA allows you to carry on baby formula, breast milk or juice if a baby
or small child is traveling with you."

I find the juice exception a bit odd. I've never been on an airplane
that didn't carry juice. (Baby formula and breastmilk are obviously
necessary, but if a toddler is thirsty, surely the FA could bring you
some juice!)

Naomi

-Patty, mom of 1+2

Old August 12th 06, 02:27 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

I have a 7 month old.

Thx.

Donna Metler wrote:
but if you're EPing fpr a fairly young baby, you
absolutely can't risk checking your pump.

Old August 12th 06, 02:36 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Donna Metler

wrote in message
ups.com...
Why do you assume that?

I am taking an hour's flight which doesn't need for me to pump on the
plane.

Thanks everyone for their relevant responses.

I would suggest getting a medical statement of need for the pump. I don't
believe they can legally refuse entrance to an approved medical device, at
least not in the USA, but it may be more difficult to get them to see a
breast pump as a medically required piece of equipment, particularly if you
have a less industrial strength one than I do. I did have such a statement
at my pediatrician's suggestion on our first flight, but as I've said, I've
never had problems, but if you're EPing fpr a fairly young baby, you
absolutely can't risk checking your pump.

Old August 12th 06, 03:51 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Donna Metler

wrote in message
ups.com...

PattyMomVA wrote:
"dkhedmo" wrote and I snipped:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=5635098
NPR : What the Air-Traffic Alert Means for Passengers

"The only exceptions are baby formula, liquid prescription medicines
(the name on the bottle must match the name on your ticket), and

essential
over-the-counter liquid medications, which must be presented for
inspection
at the checkpoint."

The NPR article also says:

"The TSA allows you to carry on baby formula, breast milk or juice if a

baby
or small child is traveling with you."

I find the juice exception a bit odd. I've never been on an airplane
that didn't carry juice. (Baby formula and breastmilk are obviously
necessary, but if a toddler is thirsty, surely the FA could bring you
some juice!)

Usually not before takeoff, though, and drinking at takeoff and landing
helps with the ear pressure problems. Most times, drink service doesn't
begin until substantially into the flight-and if you're flying out of DC,
you might as well not even bother on anything short of a cross-country
flight because of the 30 minute restriction when NO ONE can be up.

Naomi

-Patty, mom of 1+2

Old August 12th 06, 05:48 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Jess

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a 7 month old.

Yeah, I wouldn't check my pump. No way was Sproglette going for more than
two hours then, and she wasn't on enough solids either to go without if
something had happened to my pump.

Jess

Old August 12th 06, 08:28 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Mum of Two

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm flying soon and I'd like to take some EBM in a bottle for DS for
the flight. They are confiscating liquids. Not sure what to do about
this...as I'd like not to have to DUMP my milk if I bring it.

they are allowing baby formula providing you taste it, EBM should be the
same, but I do wonder why you would go to the fuss of a bottle and keeping
it cool etc. when you could just breastfeed

One of my first thoughts when I saw the ban on liquids, was 'Thank God for
breasts!'. They couldn't exactly ask you to leave *those* behind. ;-)
Not that it helps those mothers who are EPing, but it was just another
situation in which I'm very thankful for breastfeeding.

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

Old August 12th 06, 02:14 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

Donna Metler wrote:
wrote in message

"The TSA allows you to carry on baby formula, breast milk or juice if a

baby
or small child is traveling with you."

I find the juice exception a bit odd. I've never been on an airplane
that didn't carry juice. (Baby formula and breastmilk are obviously
necessary, but if a toddler is thirsty, surely the FA could bring you
some juice!)

Usually not before takeoff, though, and drinking at takeoff and landing
helps with the ear pressure problems. Most times, drink service doesn't
begin until substantially into the flight-and if you're flying out of DC,
you might as well not even bother on anything short of a cross-country
flight because of the 30 minute restriction when NO ONE can be up.

Though, with the new rules, I can see them instituting a bit more
flexibility here. (i.e., the FA could bring the juice before take-off,
if asked. It's not like most flights have hundreds of thirsty toddlers
on board.)

But ... of course ... I'm more practical than most folks, so maybe not.

Naomi

Naomi

-Patty, mom of 1+2