homework hassels

Old March 4th 04, 11:55 AM
Kim

Default Teachers

'Kate wrote in message ...
On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 21:51:20 GMT, "V"

'Kate wrote in message

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 15:40:33 -0400, "Kim"

Yes she did but what about the other children? what about the

children
next
year and the year after and after...

Perhaps that falls under the heading of "not that mother's problem."

We
cannot be responsible for everything at all times. Sometimes we have

pick our battles wisely so that they do not further harm our children.

'Kate

Indeed it does. If it were more serious, I would, but nope. Not gonna do

it.
Kate I am starting to get tired with the "not getting its"..you get what

mean?

Yeah... I understand. I think it's because we're women. The fact that a
minority of "women" dumb down to the level of a tree stump and act like
little girls doesn't help.

'Kate

I hope you haven't lumped me in your minority and FYI... I wasn't acting
like a 'little girl' I was acting as a concerned parent possibly of the next
child that teacher decided to demoralize... Hmmmmmm would I thank her for
not reporting it? Nope... Not at all

Old March 4th 04, 01:58 PM

"Kim" wrote in message
.. .

'Kate wrote in message ...
On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 15:40:33 -0400, "Kim"

"V" wrote in message

'Kate wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 17:36:13 +1100, David

Administration? NO. Police? YES

Geez Kate this a criminal assault on a child, and needs to be dealt
with
through the courts

David

Yeah... maybe. I guess, though, that I'm allowed my opinion and that
was to either stop the abuse by removing the child or remove the

teacher
for being unfit. Because the mother already handled the teacher's
thumping by letting her know that she was not to thump her child

anymore
the child is safe. Calling the police would lead to an investigation
and denial by the teacher. It would put the school on the defensive.
It would get the teacher's union laywers involved. All the mother
wanted was for the teacher to stop thumping her child.

'Kate

And she did.

Yes she did but what about the other children? what about the children

next
year and the year after and after...

Perhaps that falls under the heading of "not that mother's problem." We
cannot be responsible for everything at all times. Sometimes we have to
pick our battles wisely so that they do not further harm our children.

'Kate

Too many "what if's" hanging about so I'll agree to disagree... Last thing
I'd worry about would be her denial and the school is there to protect
children and who gives a rat's behind about the teachers union... Not my
battle, I would have handled it differently... I protect my children and if
I can I protect others... Like I said I'll agree to disagree

Did you read my original post? She admitted to it and it was a practice by a
scholar of children to get the blood flowing to the brain. It was not
something I agreed with so I sat with her and the principal and we all
discussed it. End of story. It has not happened again.
There is a problem with her but I am not going to fight the school system over
this, and best yet, make my child's life hell in the midst. I have to be picky
about my battles.

Old March 5th 04, 12:38 AM
Cele

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 09:07:26 -0600, 'Kate wrote:

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 07:55:48 -0400, "Kim"

'Kate wrote in message ...
On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 21:51:20 GMT, "V"

'Kate wrote in message

. ..
[...]

No.. it has nothing to do with anyone in particular, just a general
statement of my frame of mind. I respect that you would take the time
to help another child even if it means that your child would be
targetted for the rest of his school career by other teachers who knew
that you were the one who got a teacher fired and possibly put in jail.

Actually, while there are clearly teachers like that, I'd have to say
they're in the small minority. Most teachers are very clear on the
difference between parents and the children, and are extremely careful
not to target kids. I've seen teachers time after time feel frustrated
and angry with parents, yet treat the kids entirely fairly and
appropriately.

Of course, there are assholes in every group. But hopefully, darned
few.

Cele
Old March 5th 04, 02:18 AM
Cele

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 19:46:23 -0600, 'Kate wrote:

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 00:38:55 GMT, Cele

Actually, while there are clearly teachers like that, I'd have to say
they're in the small minority. Most teachers are very clear on the
difference between parents and the children, and are extremely careful
not to target kids. I've seen teachers time after time feel frustrated
and angry with parents, yet treat the kids entirely fairly and
appropriately.

Of course, there are assholes in every group. But hopefully, darned
few.

Cele

That's good to hear 'cause the nuns talked among each other and the
absolutely targetted children on the basis of the behaviors of both the
child and his/her parents as well as the living situation of the family.
If you had money, you were treated diffrently than if you didn't.

That's pretty awful. I don't know from nuns; I can only speak for the
public system in Canada, I guess. Although I suspect there are some
things that can be generalised to some other countries. Speaking as a
teacher myself, I not only would find that reprehensible, I would be
likely to take internal action if I saw it happening.

Cele
Old March 5th 04, 11:38 AM
Kim

Kim wrote:
I hope you haven't lumped me in your minority and FYI... I wasn't acting
like a 'little girl' I was acting as a concerned parent possibly of the

next
child that teacher decided to demoralize... Hmmmmmm would I thank her for
not reporting it? Nope... Not at all

No.. it has nothing to do with anyone in particular, just a general
statement of my frame of mind. I respect that you would take the time
to help another child even if it means that your child would be
targetted for the rest of his school career by other teachers who knew
that you were the one who got a teacher fired and possibly put in jail.

'Kate

So you think that other teachers condone this type of behavior from one of
their own?

Guess we have a different type of community here... We are very tightly
knit... There are also "no tolerance" violence policies in place to protect
our children from the time they go to the bus stop til the time they return
home and this policy is for both teachers AND students...

Tapping a child on the head goes against that policy... IT would not have
followed my child in his school career... What would follow him would be the
stigma from the child in the following year -- you know the one the teacher
tapped to hard who somehow got seriously hurt, because the teacher carried
it further since no other parent reported them -- THAT child constantly said
to my child, "this wouldn't have happened if your mom had of opened her
mouth" and do not forget the parents who could possibly take ME to court
cause I was negligent enough to not report the incident as it should have
been...

Hey but that's one of the 'what if's' and there are many more scenarios...

JMHT
Kim

Old March 5th 04, 11:43 AM
Kim

"Cele" wrote in message
[...]

Yup yup... Exactly what she said... I also know that in Portland OR the
school system seemed to have the same views as we Canadians have when it
comes to educating our children... They had the same attitude we have...
Only difference Cele, down there they were still allowed to give hugs to the
little ones when they needed one

Kim

Old March 5th 04, 11:54 AM
Kim

"Kim"
Too many "what if's" hanging about so I'll agree to disagree... Last

thing
I'd worry about would be her denial and the school is there to protect
children and who gives a rat's behind about the teachers union... Not my
battle, I would have handled it differently... I protect my children and

if
I can I protect others... Like I said I'll agree to disagree

Actually, I agree with you that if you can, it's better to do what's
right by all the children in the class while doing what is right for
your own child. Sometimes, though, other children cannot factor in
because it would mean giving more than we have to give. I don't know
what limits an individual person's time but I trust that they are able
to decide what is right for them.

'Kate

I agree... I'm also very glad that you would help others if possible and
not stand by waiting for the other shoe to drop... It IS a matter of
priorities, I do understand that... A persons time IS limited... I just know
I'd have handled it differently... My kids know that too... I read the first
post outloud and asked them what they thought I would do (out of curiosity)
my son said I'd tap the teacher with a hammer (hmmmmmm interesting) my
daughter said I'd howl the schools roof in... LOL guess they know their mom
pretty good... They also have the confidence in me to know that I'd not let
any harm come thier way if possible...

Kim

Old March 5th 04, 12:00 PM
Kim

"V" wrote in message

"Kim" wrote in message
.. .

'Kate wrote in message

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 15:40:33 -0400, "Kim"

"V" wrote in message

'Kate wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I did read the entire post... Several times... Each time I read it I got
angrier and angrier and it wasn't even MY child... I don't care who she
thought she was emulating... If she's living that far in the past perhaps
it's time she took a few refresher courses or retired? It might have been
better for the kids... Next year she may read that a scholar hung his pupils
upside down for hours on end to get the blood rushing to their brains... Who
knows what else she could come up with... Ahhhhhhhhh more "what ifs"

Agreeing to disagree more
sorry
Kim

Old March 7th 04, 11:01 PM
Kim

'Kate wrote in message ...
On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 07:38:45 -0400, "Kim"

Kim wrote:
[...]

Ok, Kim. You would have acted differently in the same situation.
That's pretty clear.

I suggest that, as I stated days ago, that how we handle situations in
our lives will vary. Sometimes we don't have time or energy or simply
are not in a position to do the best thing for the world and have to
pare our lives down to do what is best for our children. And there are
the worst times in ones life when getting dinner on the table for the
children, making sure that they have clean clothes, and getting them to
school on time with their homework completed is all that one can manage.
I am not entirely certain everyone can understand what that feels like.
But having lived that for a period of time, I know others understand.
Perhaps that's why our opinions on this vary. What we think we would
do, what we would like to do, and what is possible are not the same
things sometimes.

'Kate

True enough Very true in fact Sometimes it's hard to remember those
times... Thanks for the kick in the a$$ lol 5 years ago it would be hard to
say how I would have handled the situation LOL I confess... I've done some
growing since I've been gone

Kim

Old March 8th 04, 05:30 AM
Kim

'Kate wrote in message ...
On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 19:01:42 -0400, "Kim"

True enough Very true in fact Sometimes it's hard to remember

those
times... Thanks for the kick in the a$$ lol 5 years ago it would be hard

say how I would have handled the situation LOL I confess... I've done

some
growing since I've been gone

Kim

Heck, I don't want to remember those times either! And I don't want to
grow up. sigh

'Kate

Ummmmmmmm I said growing not growing UP... If I do that then the fun is over
lol and I got news... the fun is just beginning LOL...

Homework over spring break (long) beeswing General (moderated) 156 April 5th 05 03:41 PM
Newbie to newsgroups, not to being a mom. DPB General (moderated) 8 March 30th 04 10:50 PM
Too hard on my child? toypup General 70 March 18th 04 08:13 PM
More homework ranting! Circe General 43 September 29th 03 11:26 PM
Homework revisited Cathy Kearns General 24 September 24th 03 09:16 PM