white baby shoes

Old September 17th 03, 09:47 PM
Michael Hamm

Default white baby shoes

Perhaps a bit OT, but we just bought our 1-year-old new shoes, and my wife
insisted on white (over my objections that they'd get much dirtier than
black). They're already(!) getting dirty. Is there a good way of really
cleaning white shoes (beyond removing the removable particles)?

Tia,

Michael Hamm
BA scl Math, PBK, NYU

http://www.math.wustl.edu/~msh210/

Old September 17th 03, 10:18 PM
Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes Michael Hamm wrote:

Perhaps a bit OT, but we just bought our 1-year-old new shoes, and my wife
insisted on white (over my objections that they'd get much dirtier than
black). They're already(!) getting dirty. Is there a good way of really
cleaning white shoes (beyond removing the removable particles)?

Gosh - I thought everyone knew this. I guess I'm an old fogie but I
used to have saddle shoes and we'd have to clean them because they got
dirty too. The last child of mine that I can remember that had white
baby shoes is now 35 years old, and I don't remember my grandchildren
wearing such things. So I guess the method has gone out of the group
memory now.

I'm assuming that you are aren't talking about sneakers that can be
thrown in the washer. You get shoe polish and kind of paint it (with
a spongy type applicator which is on the bottom of the lid) on to the
white parts (if the shoe is anything but white - or all over if it is
all white - I usually didn't paint the edges of the soles which were
brown). I can't remember the brand, and maybe they don't have such
things anymore because dirty is fashionable or something.

grandma Rosalie

Old September 17th 03, 11:50 PM
Kevin Karplus

In article tl.edu,
Michael Hamm wrote:
Perhaps a bit OT, but we just bought our 1-year-old new shoes, and my wife
insisted on white (over my objections that they'd get much dirtier than
black). They're already(!) getting dirty. Is there a good way of really
cleaning white shoes (beyond removing the removable particles)?

All the shoes our son wore when he was 1 were of the type that you
could throw into the washing machine. Stiff leather shoes are not
appropriate for baby feet anyway, so we never ran into the problem.

If you did get leather baby shoes, clean them like any other leather
shoes---sponge them off with a damp cloth, use saddle soap if they are
really filthy, dry slowly, and seal them with a good shoe polish.

--
Kevin Karplus http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~karplus
Professor of Computer Engineering, University of California, Santa Cruz

Old September 18th 03, 12:12 PM
Brandy Kurtz

Michael Hamm wrote in message i.wustl.edu...
Perhaps a bit OT, but we just bought our 1-year-old new shoes, and my wife
insisted on white (over my objections that they'd get much dirtier than
black). They're already(!) getting dirty. Is there a good way of really
cleaning white shoes (beyond removing the removable particles)?

Tia,

Michael Hamm
BA scl Math, PBK, NYU

http://www.math.wustl.edu/~msh210/

If they are regular throw in the wash shoes, I would recommend the new
stain pen from Clorox. Looks like it would really work, I can't wait
until out local stores start carrying it. White baby shoes are just so
darned irresistable... Plus they match everything!

Brandy

Old September 18th 03, 03:10 PM
Hillary Israeli

*
*If they are regular throw in the wash shoes, I would recommend the new
*stain pen from Clorox. Looks like it would really work, I can't wait
*until out local stores start carrying it. White baby shoes are just so
*darned irresistable... Plus they match everything!

My kids wear white leather baby shoes and I don't think they can be thrown
in the wash. You have to clean them like you clean any leather shoe. You
clean them with regular leather cleaner and polish with white shoe polish,
or you just use a liquid polish like this:
http://65.18.207.26/store/product1101.html
which sort of paints over any flaws (but of course you do want to still
clean the shoe first!)

-h.

Old September 18th 03, 04:20 PM
Rosalie B.

(Hillary Israeli) wrote:

In ,
Brandy Kurtz wrote:

[...]

RIGHT - Kiwi was what I was trying to think of. That's what I always
did with my kid's shoes.

I had those white leather shoes for my kids, because in those days,
sneakers were supposed to be bad for their feet. DD#3, born in May in
Key West FL didn't have any shoes at all until she was about 8 months
when her sister (age 7) was upset that she didn't have shoes and
bought her some for Xmas. I just hadn't seen any need for her to have
them up to that point, but we moved to Philadelphia about then, so she
was going to need them.

I've looked at the old pictures, and actually can't find any that show
their feet where the babies and toddlers and even sometimes the older
ones are not barefooted.

grandma Rosalie

Old September 18th 03, 05:15 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
Kevin Karplus wrote:
In article tl.edu,
Michael Hamm wrote:
Perhaps a bit OT, but we just bought our 1-year-old new shoes, and my wife
insisted on white (over my objections that they'd get much dirtier than
black). They're already(!) getting dirty. Is there a good way of really
cleaning white shoes (beyond removing the removable particles)?

All the shoes our son wore when he was 1 were of the type that you
could throw into the washing machine. Stiff leather shoes are not
appropriate for baby feet anyway, so we never ran into the problem.

Stride Rite and other companies now make very flexible leather shoes
for new walkers. They were the only shoes that fit my youngest when he
was learning to walk.

--Robyn

Old September 18th 03, 05:16 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
Rosalie B. wrote:

I'm assuming that you are aren't talking about sneakers that can be
thrown in the washer. You get shoe polish and kind of paint it (with
a spongy type applicator which is on the bottom of the lid) on to the
white parts (if the shoe is anything but white - or all over if it is
all white - I usually didn't paint the edges of the soles which were
brown). I can't remember the brand, and maybe they don't have such
things anymore because dirty is fashionable or something.

They still sell it. I do have to admit that I don't bother
cleaning/polishing my toddler's shoes though. I wouldn't say dirty is
"fashionable" but certainly not unexpected on a young child's shoes.
They have separate (black) dress shoes to wear when dirty sneakers or
dirty white toddler-shoes are not appropriate. I do clean those when
needed; usually just a damp cloth will do the trick.

--Robyn (mommy to Ryan 9/93 and Matthew 6/96 and Evan 3/01)

Old September 18th 03, 05:26 PM
Michael Hamm

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 12:15:59 EDT, Robyn Kozierok
wrote, in part:
Stride Rite and other companies now make very flexible leather shoes
for new walkers.

Right, that's what we bought. Several people mentioned shoe polish (which
I use frequently on my own, black shoes, but, somehow, didn't think would
really clean white ones; I guess I'm wrong), and at least one person said
simply wiping with a damp cloth will get rid of most problems. Thanks
very much to all who responded (and those who will).

Unconsolable infant dkc General 18 May 25th 04 11:02 PM
| off topic for Kane Kane General 3 April 25th 04 07:22 AM
Baby's first walking shoes AnnaS General 25 February 15th 04 11:04 AM
baby shoes that stay on hobbes General 26 October 21st 03 09:16 PM
Introducing your dog to your newborn. Hany Hosny General (moderated) 2 August 10th 03 11:02 PM