Experts Top Ten ESSENTIALS List For Newborns?

Old July 18th 03, 07:48 PM
Zucca4

Default Experts Top Ten ESSENTIALS List For Newborns?

Superstitious as I am, we haven't bought anything yet. I'm in my 21st week and
I feel like I still have a bunch of time. I know that I'd like the baby to
remain in our bedroom for the first 3-6 months as I will be nursing and I'd
like to have the baby very near. I have a very generous family and as the only
child I know I will be reciving a lot of gifts. I'd actually only like to
register/keep that which is absolutley nescessary and donate the rest or what
people would have given to a shelter or home for young mothers. I'm an ESL
teacher in downtown Flushing, NY and the parents of my students always tell me
how very little they had in their very rural parts of the world and yet how
happy and healthy their children turned out (I can attest to this as their
teacher) While I certainly wouldn't deprive my precious baby of anything I
also don't want to be overwhelmed with a ton of things I really don't need (as
in the case of my bridal shower )

What do you baby experts deem MUST HAVE?

Thanks,
Lisa

Old July 18th 03, 07:57 PM
Nina

car seat
diapers
sleep n plays
a few blankets
thermometer
something to sleep in/on

Old July 18th 03, 07:58 PM
Karen Askey

What do you baby experts deem MUST HAVE?

Good breastfeeding support, but that's free!

Of things that you can get as a gift, I would say a few onesies, a few generous
sized blankets for swaddling, and diapers of your choice.

Other than that, you can get by with nothing else for a while!

koa
Still nursing James, 02/06/01
EP'ing for Joey 04/02/03 (BCP)

Old July 18th 03, 08:16 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

Zucca4 wrote:

What do you baby experts deem MUST HAVE?

a Boppy pillow
a tube of Lansinoh
a 6-pack of side-snap shirts (to use until the cord stump
falls off)
a 6-pack of newborn-size onesies
diapers of some variety or another
car seat
thermometer
nail clippers
gas drops
something to put the baby down in (bouncy seat, bassinet, etc.)
hand-me-down receiving blankets (they're softer)
car seat

Phoebe

Old July 18th 03, 08:32 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

Nina wrote:

I bit my babies nails, never needed gas drops and had regular pillows.

Yeah, those things on my list are definitely YMMV things.

Caterpillar was born with fingernails so long she gave
herself bloody scratches before she was 24 hours old, and I
have to put her in mittens or trim her nails shorter than my
teeth can manage to prevent repeats. Haven't needed gas
drops since I started drinking fennel tea, but they were
great until I figured out tea was better. And I can nurse
with a regular pillow or no pillow, but if I'd had the Boppy
in the earliest, most exhausted days, I think I wouldn't
have gotten the mangled nipples from being unable to arrange
pillows and baby and self and stay upright at 4am.

Phoebe

Old July 18th 03, 09:18 PM
Astromum

Zucca4 wrote:

What do you baby experts deem MUST HAVE?

It's been a while, but my personal list would be:
diapers
a bunch of onesies
a few wrapping blankets
car seat
lots of cloth wipes
a bunch of cotton diapers
diaper rash cream
belly carrier or sling or stroller

Things that you can consider, but are of
a more personal natu
crib
play-pen or bassinet or bouncing chair
massage oil

--
-- Ilse
mom to Olaf (07/15/2002)

Old July 18th 03, 10:41 PM
Irish Marie

"Karen Askey" wrote in message
What do you baby experts deem MUST HAVE?

Good breastfeeding support, but that's free!

Not necessarily!! What if you need to pay an LC??!!

--
Marie
Mum to DD5, DS3 and due #3 July '03

Old July 18th 03, 10:44 PM
Irish Marie

"Zucca4" wrote in message

What do you baby experts deem MUST HAVE?

Ooh, I'm an expert now ;-)!!!!
Approx 5 babygros/onesies
Approx 8 vests
Bibs
Cellular blankets
car seat
stroller/sling
nappies
cotton wool
baby wipes

investing for you kids tessa General 4 February 23rd 04 01:48 AM
Waiting list for POFAK mailing list Herself General 3 October 15th 03 06:26 PM