Question about support

Old August 6th 07, 04:22 PM posted to alt.child-support
Thalador

Default Question about support

Greetings all. I have a question, I think I know the answer, but
wanted some other opinions.

Background: I have custody of my two children and the ex-wife adopted
them legally (They are mine from prior wife).

Question - Prior to the divorce she and I signed a notarized form
saying she would pay me $1000.00 per month child support. Three months
later the divorce went through and the court ordered she pay $1600 per
month. She has always concluded that our agreement takes precedence
over the divorce order. I disagree.

So, legally how much does she owe per month?

Old August 6th 07, 05:42 PM posted to alt.child-support
teachrmama

"Thalador" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings all. I have a question, I think I know the answer, but
wanted some other opinions.

Background: I have custody of my two children and the ex-wife adopted
them legally (They are mine from prior wife).

Question - Prior to the divorce she and I signed a notarized form
saying she would pay me $1000.00 per month child support. Three months
later the divorce went through and the court ordered she pay $1600 per
month. She has always concluded that our agreement takes precedence
over the divorce order. I disagree.

So, legally how much does she owe per month?

If the court ordered $1600, then that's how much she owes legally. But
morally, don't you think you should abide by the agreement you and she made?

Old August 6th 07, 05:57 PM posted to alt.child-support
Thalador

On Aug 6, 12:42 pm, "teachrmama" wrote:
"Thalador" wrote in message

oups.com...

Greetings all. I have a question, I think I know the answer, but
wanted some other opinions.

Background: I have custody of my two children and the ex-wife adopted
them legally (They are mine from prior wife).

Question - Prior to the divorce she and I signed a notarized form
saying she would pay me $1000.00 per month child support. Three months
later the divorce went through and the court ordered she pay $1600 per
month. She has always concluded that our agreement takes precedence
over the divorce order. I disagree.

So, legally how much does she owe per month?

If the court ordered $1600, then that's how much she owes legally. But
morally, don't you think you should abide by the agreement you and she made?

The problem is, she is now trying to lower that agreed upon number to
something she is "more confortable" with. I am looking at this from a
legal issue, not moral. I told her the $1000 we agreed to is fine but
she isnt happy with it anymore.

Old August 6th 07, 06:07 PM posted to alt.child-support
Relayer

On Aug 6, 11:57?am, Thalador wrote:
On Aug 6, 12:42 pm, "teachrmama" wrote:

"Thalador" wrote in message

roups.com...

[...]

she isnt happy with it anymore.- Hide quoted text -

Too bad.

Old August 6th 07, 06:11 PM posted to alt.child-support
teachrmama

"Thalador" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 6, 12:42 pm, "teachrmama" wrote:
"Thalador" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Just because I am curious, what percentage of her income is the $1000 per
month? Does it leave her enough to live on? From the perspective of the
non-custodial parent, sometimes what seems "reasonable" to the person
receiving the money doesn't feel quite as reasonable to the one paying it
out. It seems that the 2 of you communicated well enough to make this
agreement without the help of the courts. Maybe you could sit down together
again and discuss her difficulties with the amount and why you feel the
amount is reasonable.

A couple more questions occur to me. How old were the children when she
married you and adopted them? Is their bio mother still in the picture?
(the was not clear from your original post) How long did your current ex
raise the children before your divorce? (I would think that she would feel
somewhat used if you were only married for 2 years, and you are now
expecting her to pay child support for the next 12 years)

Old August 6th 07, 07:47 PM posted to alt.child-support
DB

"teachrmama" wrote in

From the perspective of the non-custodial parent, sometimes what seems
"reasonable" to the person receiving the money doesn't feel quite as
reasonable to the one paying it out.

They forget the amount of money they receive is after taxes, so the NCP has
to earn $1300 to pay $1000.

Old August 6th 07, 08:35 PM posted to alt.child-support
Gini

"Thalador" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 6, 12:42 pm, "teachrmama" wrote:
"Thalador" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

==
Legally she owes what the court says she owes. Fortunately, on usenet we get
espouse opinions. My opinion is that the NCP shouldn't be required to pay
more than
half the actual cost of basic needs (which is nowhere near 1k mo).

Old August 6th 07, 09:21 PM posted to alt.child-support
teachrmama

"Gini" wrote in message

"Thalador" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 6, 12:42 pm, "teachrmama" wrote:
"Thalador" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

get to
espouse opinions. My opinion is that the NCP shouldn't be required to pay
more than
half the actual cost of basic needs (which is nowhere near 1k mo).

Depends on how you define "needs." chuckle It is sad when one's children
come down to dollars and cents, isn't it?!

Old August 7th 07, 12:24 AM posted to alt.child-support
whatamess

On Aug 6, 5:21 pm, "teachrmama" wrote:
"Gini" wrote in message

> [...]

"Thalador" wrote in message
roups.com...
On Aug 6, 12:42 pm, "teachrmama" wrote:
"Thalador" wrote in message

egroups.com...

[...]

come down to dollars and cents, isn't it?!- Hide quoted text -

Honestly, I couldn't care less what the courts say...It's pretty sad
that you allowed
the real mother to have no responsibility and are trying to take money
from your
ex-wife, who is NOT the biological mother of these children. I think
you need
to step up to the plate and support your own children.