38 weeks and 5 days doctor appointment

Old August 6th 05, 03:42 PM
SuperEeyore

Default 38 weeks and 5 days doctor appointment

I meant to post this yesterday. (Mini recap of just before the
appointment: I started 48 hours earlier having regularly timed
contractions that ranged as little as 3 minutes apart and at maximum 5
minutes apart. They have now settled in as happening every 4 minutes.
Powerful enough to take my breath away and for me to want to close my
eyes until they pass, but not nearly strong enough for me to stop
talking through them. So, we haven't made any trips to labor and
delivery and Someone New hasn't been born yet)

About my appointment yesterday morning:

My blood pressure and urine were fine, so my hippo feet are just hippo
feet. =oP

Dr. Coolbeans came in and mentioned how she missed us last week
(because of Dh being friggen late in picking me up) but that she
wanted to let us know that the GBS came back negative. Whew!

She also raised an eyebrow at the regular timing of the early labor
contractions. But once I explained how they may be regular but they
aren't enough to go running to labor and delivery over, Dr. Coolbeans
said that she hopes they turn into something just because it seems
like such a teasing.

Absolutely no reference to whether or not I should get an internal
check, just like I requested early on. That made me happy! When she
was doing the fundal height, she apologized for putting pressure on
where my pelvic bone has seemed to split. The baby is definitely head
down, but I don't think she mentioned if Someone New was engaged in
the pelvis or not. She also speculated (to my surprise) that she
doesn't feel like the baby is 9 pounds, but who knows what the final
weigh in will be once Someone New is born. =o)

It was a relatively quick appointment and overall a nice time. I
rather enjoy the appointments with Dr. Coolbeans. Unfortunately,
because Dh caused us to miss our Thursday appointment last week, and
the whole rescheduling snafu, all of Dr. Coolbeans appointments for
next week were filled. Thus I get the wonderful opportunity to meet
one of the other partner doctors. This time the one who is considered
the head honcho of this practice. While I'm sure the appointment will
be fine and dandy, there is a little bit of nervousness inside me
thinking about how that appointment will go.

After the appointment, Dh called mil. The following is a transcript of
that conversation:

Dh: (Enter something calming and reassuring about our appointment
here.)

Mil: "WHAT?!?!?!?!?! SQUAWK!!! Squawk squawk, squawkty squawk!"

Lather Rinse Repeat about 20 times.

She's just in shock that 1. there was no checking for dilatation, and
2. Dr. Coolbeans didn't talk some sense into me and send me
immediately to labor and delivery.

Heehee.
--
birthmom to Bj 4-12-96
mommy to Juliet 4-13-02
Old August 6th 05, 03:59 PM
Emily

SuperEeyore wrote:
Dh: (Enter something calming and reassuring about our appointment
here.)

Mil: "WHAT?!?!?!?!?! SQUAWK!!! Squawk squawk, squawkty squawk!"

Lather Rinse Repeat about 20 times.

She's just in shock that 1. there was no checking for dilatation, and
2. Dr. Coolbeans didn't talk some sense into me and send me
immediately to labor and delivery.

Heehee.

Sounds like a good appointment. And you don't sound too
impatient, but I still hope things get going for you soon!

Emily
--
DS 5/02
EDD Labor Day 9/5/05
Old August 6th 05, 04:28 PM
SuperEeyore

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 07:59:38 -0700, Emily wrote:
Sounds like a good appointment. And you don't sound too
impatient, but I still hope things get going for you soon!

Oh, I'm not impatient at all. What's that line from Willy Wonka?
"The suspense is terrible, I hope it lasts!"

That's me in a nut shell. I wished away so much from my first
pregnancy, that I promised myself afterwards that any pregnancy after
that would be appreciated for each day and not wished any faster than
it was supposed to feel. Plus I still have a few more assignments and
class obligations for summer school at this point, so full on labor
can take it's time as far as I'm concerned.

But, the wait is driving everyone around me nutters. Every few hours
someone calls or emails for news if the contractions have picked up
strength. It's nice to feel the caring and concern from everyone
around me. Too bad it feels like I'm expected to explode at any
moment, lol.

Laurel
--
birthmom to Bj 4-12-96
mommy to Juliet 4-13-02
Old August 6th 05, 10:24 PM
Emily

Good luck with finishing up the summer school obligations,
and I hope the impatience of those around you doesn't
get too annoying then!

Emily