reading to a book vandal

Old July 8th 03, 10:31 PM
toto

Default reading to a book vandal

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 10:17:10 -0700, blacksalt
wrote:

Since I have no experiance raising children, I'm reading alot of books
about babies.

Do follow your own instincts and only take what you need from
books.

Many encourage "reading" to even very little ones.

I always read to mine and now I read to my granddaughter
who is the same age as your child below.

My 11 month old wants to bend, spindle, and mutilate every book
he gets near, and as he gets stronger, he's doing more damage.

For this age use soft cloth and plastic books and board books. He can
touch these and they will hold up fine. Small, sturdy, easy-to-handle
cloth and board picture books should be accessible to infants on low
shelves and in tubs or baskets along with their other toys.

How does one "read" to a little one when he drops everything to
grab the book and wrench it out of my hands.

Get books that are short and easy to read. Point out the pictures
while he is on your lap. Don't push it. If he doesn't want to stay
on your lap, let him go and come back to it later. Look at pictures,
name the objects they see, read the story, say the rhyme, and talk
about related topics as they arise. I also found that books that
you can sing work really well. My gd loves music and we have
a book of Twinkle, twinkle little star and of Hush Little Baby.
Both of these are tunes she knows from her lullaby CDs and
she loves it when I *read* them and sing them to her.

As an aside, are there any videos of kids books, where the pictures
show up and the text goes slowly enough for me to read to him
carefully?

Not that I know of, but that isn't the same thing as reading to him
with books.

At this age you are simply giving him a good feeling about reading,
not teaching him to read.

Some good books to try

* Baby Faces by Margaret Miller
* The Bear Went over the Mountain by Rosemary Wells
* Black on White by Tana Hoban
* Blue Buggy by Janet Ahlberg & Allen Ahlberg
* Bumpety Bump by Kathy Henderson
* Humpty Dumpty: And Other Rhymes by edited by Iona Archibald Opie
* Jack and Jill and Other Nursery Rhymes by Lucy Cousins
* My Colors/Mis Colores by Rebecca Emberley
* Pat the Bunny by Dorothy Kunhardt
* Playtime Rhymes, a DK Publishing Book
* Peek-A-Boo by Jan Ormerod
* Peek-A-Moo! by Marie Torres Cimarusti
* Touch and Feel: Baby Animals a DK Publishing Book
* Touch and Feel: Kitten a DK Publishing Book
* Walking Around the Garden by John Prater
* What Do Infants Do? by Debby Slier
* White on Black by Tana Hoban
* Wow! Babies by Penny Gentieu

My granddaughter likes the board book of Dr. Suess's ABCs
and Mr. Brown Can Moo, can you? also by Dr. Suess

Every baby will have there own favorites.

blacksalt

--
Dorothy

Outer Limits
Old July 8th 03, 10:35 PM
toto

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 11:09:45 -0700, blacksalt
wrote:

-let your son turn the pages at the speed he desires

Lightening fast and random, back, forth.

That's ok too. Just see if you can point out pictures on
the pages he turns to.

I think you are worrying too much about this too. If he is
that active, read only at bedtime and create a little routine

When he plops down on the rug, pick him up on your lap,
read a very short story and cuddle him as he is falling
asleep.

--
Dorothy

Outer Limits
Old July 8th 03, 11:16 PM
Sue

My friend's son didn't really like to be read to unless he was playing in
the bath tub. So she read a short book to him while he played in the bath.
Good luck.
--
Sue
mom to three girls

blacksalt wrote in message
Since I have no experiance raising children, I'm reading alot of books
about babies. Many encourage "reading" to even very little ones. My 11
month old wants to bend, spindle, and mutilate every book he gets near,
and as he gets stronger, he's doing more damage. How does one "read" to

Old July 9th 03, 03:01 AM
Naomi Pardue

Many encourage "reading" to even very little ones. My 11
month old wants to bend, spindle, and mutilate every book he gets near,
and as he gets stronger, he's doing more damage.

Try board books. He can't do much damage to them, and the stories are usually
short enough to hold his attention for what his attention span is likely to be.

THere are also books made of a sort of plasticy material that is limp like
paper, but impossible to tear.

(Also, be sure to interact with him. Are you 'reading to him' or are you
looking at books with him and talking about the pictures? At this age you want
to be doing the latter. And do it only as long as he's interested. If that
means 90 seconds, then let him go after 90 seconds.)

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)
Old July 9th 03, 12:26 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
blacksalt wrote:

*Since I have no experiance raising children, I'm reading alot of books
*about babies. Many encourage "reading" to even very little ones. My 11
*month old wants to bend, spindle, and mutilate every book he gets near,
*and as he gets stronger, he's doing more damage. How does one "read" to
*a little one when he drops everything to grab the book and wrench it out
*of my hands.

I always just tried to get indestructible and/or cheap books. So I read a
lot of board books, and more specifically *used* board books, to my son at
that age!

Old July 10th 03, 02:28 AM
blacksalt

Update: By stupid chance I discovered a trick that at least makes *me*
feel better. Instead of holding him on my lap while trying to read, with
him grabbing and pulling, I sat on a low step and he STOOD behind me,
bouncing from his knees as he is wont to do, peering over my shoulder,
and I got through the whole alphabet, without hurrying. He was quite
curious, but just kept hanging onto me so he could bounce and wiggle and
not fall over. By almost hiding the book, he was bouncing less and
peering around my shoulder more.

Thanks to all for ideas. I can tell this is going to humbling.
blacksalt
Old July 10th 03, 03:04 AM
Beth Kevles

Hi -- A poster asked:

I am 21 years old and also a new mother. Is it true that reading to my
newborn now can be beneficial to him in the next few years of his
life?

From birth through about age two, the best way to help your child's
language development is by talking with your child. Make eye contact and
chat. Don't worry if your baby doesn't understand; as a newborn he's
unlikely to, but you're putting in place the sounds of language and of
conversation, which are invaluable.

Reading books aloud to your child is of limited value in the first year,
when all you're really doing is exposing your child to the language and
cadences of the written word. If you like to read aloud, go ahead. BUt
if your child won't sit still for it, don't worry. Babies need to
explore the world with all of their senses so that they have something
to connect words to, something as a basis for all the ideas they'll come
to have.

Somewhere between about 14 and 30 months, books start to become more
valuable. Some children still won't sit still, and that's fine. You
can read aloud while your child plays, you can read at bedtime, you can
even read to yourself and let your child see how much fun it is. (This
is a form of behavior modelling, and shouldn't be undervalued.) Stories
may not yet be of interest; you can point to pictures and let your child
tell you what the objects are, what sounds the animals make, etc.
Whatever you do, reading (and all language) should still be as
INTERactive as possible.

By 36 months most children have become interested in stories. If you
don't have some favorites by now, ask your friendly librarian for
assistance. Some favorites a Good Night Moon, which has rhymes,
rhythm, and you can search each page for the mouse; various board books
by Sandra Boynton, which have rhyme, good use of syntax, and are
delightfully silly; Jamberry, which has rhyming words, wonderful
cadences, funny pictures ... and many many more.

And this is all before we even get to pre-reading skills.

I hope this helps,
--Beth Kevles

Old July 10th 03, 02:37 PM
Allie

blacksalt wrote in message ...
Update: By stupid chance I discovered a trick that at least makes *me*
feel better. Instead of holding him on my lap while trying to read, with
him grabbing and pulling, I sat on a low step and he STOOD behind me,
bouncing from his knees as he is wont to do, peering over my shoulder,
and I got through the whole alphabet, without hurrying. He was quite
curious, but just kept hanging onto me so he could bounce and wiggle and
not fall over. By almost hiding the book, he was bouncing less and
peering around my shoulder more.

Thanks to all for ideas. I can tell this is going to humbling.
blacksalt

Another thing we did was "read" him the magaizines we were done with.
He crumpled and tore them, but they were headed for the recycling bin
anyways. However I would caution that you need to still state that
this isn't the way to treat books so they don't translate the "its ok
to tear" to real books, but now that he is a little older his books
are all still intact to read. (which he loves btw)

Allie