reading to a book vandal

Old July 10th 03, 06:10 PM
dragonlady

Default reading to a book vandal

In article ,
toto wrote:

On 9 Jul 2003 18:25:23 -0700, (missy) wrote:

I am 21 years old and also a new mother. Is it true that reading to my
newborn now can be beneficial to him in the next few years of his
life?

Reading to children has been shown to be the best predictor of
the ease with which they learn to read on their own.

OTOH, I don't think we *need* to read to newborns. Do it if it
is fun.. Cuddle with your child and read simple books to him.
Once the child is mobile, he may not want to be read to for a
while, but it's a nice way to establish a bedtime routine as well.

Don't beat yourself up for not reading to him early. Speech is
*more* important than books early on. Children who learn to
read well, come to school with more knowledge about the
world around them and a large vocabulary of words they
understand and words they can say. So talk to your child,
tell stories.. Read when he is interested and model reading
by having books around and reading yourself.

Sometimes, when my kids were very small, I'd read to them out of
something that *I* wanted to read. Mostly, they wanted contact and the
sound of a voice. So I'd read the newspaper or a magazine, DH might
read a textbook out loud -- it wasn't about the story, it was about the
voice. (And we'd do this with animated voices and attention to the
child -- it was actually kind of fun.)

When my twins were very small, I can remember realizing that I wasn't
talking to them: in fact, I might go hours at a time without using my
voice at all. (I was TIRED! I think I'd have had PPD if I'd had the
energy.) (And that's a joke: I suspect I WAS suffering from some PPD,
but was mostly just exhausted and overwhelmed.) I knew they needed to
hear my voice, but was having a hard time, so I started out by just
reading the newspaper to them. It got my voice working again.

And, as others have said, the modeling is also important. My kids have
always seen us reading, we've always had at least one daily newspaper
and a house full (overfull. . .) of books.

meh