breech position at 34 weeks

Old August 23rd 05, 07:15 PM
marcy2372 marcy2372 is offline
Junior Member

Default breech position at 34 weeks

I have a question for all moms out there. I just left my dr appt a couple of hours ago and i was told that my baby is in a breech position.I am 34 weeks as of today. when i went in 2 weeks ago he was head down. but the past 2 weeks i have been feeling some extremely painful pressure on my pelvis that sometimes makes it very hard for me to walk.the dr said that he was buttocks down.she also said that when i come back for my 36 week appt they would check again and if he was still breech then she would order an ultrasound on me and try to turn him around manualy.this is my 4th pregnancy and i have never had a breech pregnancy before.but this not my main concern. what has got me worried is that after my dr appt i came home and got on my computer to get information on breech pregnancies and one of the pregnancy websites i went on said that most breech pregnancies are caused by congenital abnormalties in the baby. Is this true? Ever since i read that i have been freaking out and now i am very worried for my baby.could there be something wrong with him? have there been breech pregnancies where there is something wrong with baby?If anyone has went through this give me your input.i'm at the point where i want to call my dr and have her schedule me an ultrasound for tommorrow just to make sure my baby is ok.thanks

Marcy
Old August 23rd 05, 08:49 PM
Ericka Kammerer

marcy2372 wrote:

[...]

I *seriously* doubt it. I know many women who've had
breech babies, and *none* of them have had congenital anomalies.
Now, it is true that babies with congenital anomalies are more
likely to be breech than babies without, but the number of babies
with congenital anomalies is blessedly small, so this is still
just a very small fraction of all breech presentations. The
overwhelming majority of breech presentations are perfectly
normal, healthy babies.

Furthermore, 34 weeks is too early to wig out anyway.
You may just still have enough room for your baby to turn if
he wants. At this point, if you want, you can try some non-
invasive ways of trying to turn him. See:
http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/breech.html
If none of those work, the optimal time for an external
version is between 37 and 38 weeks. Versions are usually
successful (had a successful one myself with my third
baby). How likely they are to be successful frequently
has a lot to do with the skill of the care provider, so you
may want to shop around to find whoever is best at them in
your area. You may also want to ask how they do versions,
as different providers may do them differently, ranging from
IV/tocolytics/epidural/immediate induction to no IV/no
tocolytics/no epidural/wait for labor to start naturally.
(Which options are more appropriate also depend on the
specifics of your situation--position of baby, position
of placenta and cord, amount of amniotic fluid, etc.)
If you have a version, you will also have an ultrasound
to assess and guide the situation.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old August 23rd 05, 10:50 PM
Joybelle

"marcy2372" wrote in message

I have a question for all moms out there. I just left my dr appt a
couple of hours ago and i was told that my baby is in a breech
position.I am 34 weeks as of today. when i went in 2 weeks ago he was
head down. but the past 2 weeks i have been feeling some extremely
painful pressure on my pelvis that sometimes makes it very hard for me
to walk.the dr said that he was buttocks down.she also said that when i
come back for my 36 week appt they would check again and if he was still
breech then she would order an ultrasound on me and try to turn him
around manualy.this is my 4th pregnancy and i have never had a breech
pregnancy before.

Hopefully, he turns around! There are some ways to get a baby to turn (
www.spinningbabies.com ). I am almost 35 weeks, and my previously breech
baby turned heads down.

but this not my main concern. what has got me worried
is that after my dr appt i came home and got on my computer to get
information on breech pregnancies and one of the pregnancy websites i
went on said that most breech pregnancies are caused by congenital
abnormalties in the baby. Is this true? Ever since i read that i have
been freaking out and now i am very worried for my baby.could there be
something wrong with him? have there been breech pregnancies where
there is something wrong with baby?If anyone has went through this give
me your input.i'm at the point where i want to call my dr and have her
schedule me an ultrasound for tommorrow just to make sure my baby is
ok.thanks

Well, here's the interesting thing. Babies can assume the breech position
and have absolutely nothing wrong. A baby with something wrong can be in a
normal positon. There is some evidence that babies with congenital
abnormalities do assume the breech position, but it's not a given. My doctor
did say that there is a study showing babies that have congenital
abnormalities often are breech, but she was very adament that just because
baby is breech doesn't mean it has something wrong. In other words, I don't
think you have anything to worry about! I assume you've had some testing
(u/s or other prenatal tests) and nothing has shown up.

To give you my scenario, my baby is supposed to have spina bifida. The
little guy has been breech from 24ish weeks until 34 weeks. He's now heads
down. I hope he stays that way!

--
Joy

Rose 1-99
Iris 2-01
Spencer 3-03
# 4 Sept 2005

Old August 24th 05, 01:41 AM
Jo

marcy2372 wrote:
[...]

From what I understand, if a baby is born breech vaginally, they have a
higher incidence of something being 'abnormal' brain-wise. Now with all
the c/s for breech presentation, they are finding a slight increase in
brain abnormalities with these breech babies also. This raises the
question about whether it's the abnormality causing baby not to turn,
rather than the mode of birth causing the abnormality. Does this make
sense? However, it is WAY too early to use this info for your case.
You are only 34 weeks. Something like 95% of babies turn by 36 weeks,
97% by 37 weeks, and 99% by 40 weeks. Go for the ECV at 37 weeks if
necessary, but try other methods of turning him first. But really,
being your 4th baby, there would be heaps of room for him to turn
himself when he's ready. Try to trust your baby's instincts.

Jo (Mum to William, 3 months old)
Old August 24th 05, 06:02 PM
Cuddlefish

"marcy2372" wrote in message
i came home and got on my computer to get
information on breech pregnancies and one of the pregnancy websites i
went on said that most breech pregnancies are caused by congenital
abnormalties in the baby. Is this true? Ever since i read that i have
been freaking out and now i am very worried for my baby.could there be
something wrong with him?

I was breech.

There is nothing wrong with me.

--
Jacqueline

Old August 24th 05, 06:30 PM
Emily

Cuddlefish wrote:
"marcy2372" wrote in message

i came home and got on my computer to get
information on breech pregnancies and one of the pregnancy websites i
went on said that most breech pregnancies are caused by congenital
abnormalties in the baby. Is this true? Ever since i read that i have
been freaking out and now i am very worried for my baby.could there be
something wrong with him?

I was breech.

There is nothing wrong with me.

So was DH, and my cousin's baby. I think that "most" is a misstatement
above. More likely the thing is that certain congenital abnormalities
cause a tendency towards breech presentation, slightly raising the odds
that a baby who is breech *at term* has a congenital abnormality.

Emily
--
DS 5/02
EDD Labor Day 9/5/05
Old August 28th 05, 08:18 PM
Anonymama

In article ,
Emily wrote:

Cuddlefish wrote:
"marcy2372" wrote in message

i came home and got on my computer to get
information on breech pregnancies and one of the pregnancy websites i
went on said that most breech pregnancies are caused by congenital
abnormalties in the baby. Is this true? Ever since i read that i have
been freaking out and now i am very worried for my baby.could there be
something wrong with him?

I was breech.

There is nothing wrong with me.

So was DH, and my cousin's baby. I think that "most" is a misstatement
above. More likely the thing is that certain congenital abnormalities
cause a tendency towards breech presentation, slightly raising the odds
that a baby who is breech *at term* has a congenital abnormality.

My son was transverse. Maybe he's just a little abnormal?

(No, no, just joking.)
--
my fried egg makes me sick first thing in the morning

The Barnacle (October 2002)
TK (due early April, 06)