Mad @ OB - Vent and opinion request

Old August 25th 05, 07:25 AM
gina

Default Mad @ OB - Vent and opinion request

Okay ladies. I posted a while back about TTC a girl and Shettles. Well,
I charted after going off the pill, and it turned into one 3 month
chart before I just had it. I've regularly taken a test, and they had
all been negative, then on Aug. 12th, I called my ob (after yet another
negative test that morning) because it had been since april when I'd
had my last period. She said come in and they were going to do a pelvic
and make sure things were cool. Well, since Saturday I've been
nauseous. I could no longer blame it on poor diet, so yesterday I took
a test, and it was positive. I had my OB visit today, and after waiting
an hour, I went up to the desk and told her my situation had changed
and that I was pregnant after all. After a check with doc, *they sent
me home*! They don't even want to see me until I'm 8-10 weeks along. I
don't know about you ladies, but have you ever heard this before???
They aren't even going to try and figure out how far along I am. Please
tell me I'm not crazy for not wanting to see this practice again...

The other question--at just how early in conception do those tests pick
up your hormones? I figure I'm about 3 weeks based on symptoms and
testing, but since they're not going to figure it out, I guess I'd
better. Advice?

Gina
DS Ian 4/02
DS John 5/00
D? 5/06?

Old August 25th 05, 08:18 AM
Mamma Mia

i was never seen until 8-10 weeks along. once i'd had the pg confirmed by
the GP, which was really only doing the HPT again!

good luck

christine in oz
(i've got 3 boys, may my experience not mirror yours.......if that is what
you are wishing!!!!)
ups.com...

Old August 25th 05, 08:31 AM
Jenrose

and that I was pregnant after all. After a check with doc, *they sent
me home*! They don't even want to see me until I'm 8-10 weeks along. I
don't know about you ladies, but have you ever heard this before???

100% typical.

Drove me crazy with my first pregnancy as my mother almost died during her
last pregnancy long before the 10 week mark. With my last pregnancy, I
didn't see anyone for a prenatal until about 24 weeks by choice.

Jenrose

Old August 25th 05, 11:08 AM
Sue

"gina" wrote in message
I had my OB visit today, and after waiting
an hour, I went up to the desk and told her my situation had changed
and that I was pregnant after all. After a check with doc, *they sent
me home*! They don't even want to see me until I'm 8-10 weeks along. I
don't know about you ladies, but have you ever heard this before???
They aren't even going to try and figure out how far along I am. Please
tell me I'm not crazy for not wanting to see this practice again...

Yes, it's pretty typical. There is not much to do right now. They will need
you to be further along so they can date the pregnancy. They may do an
ultrasound earlier than the usual 20 weeks to date the pregnancy, but yeah
with my three pregnancies, I didn't see anyone until much later. With my
third, I even delayed seeing my doctor at the usual time he saw pregnant
patients. Start on some folic acid if you haven't already. Good luck.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old August 25th 05, 12:01 PM
Mary W.

Sue wrote:
"gina" wrote in message

[...]

Sue's right, very typical. A dating ultrasound should be done
before 12 weeks, that is when they are most accurate. With the
OP's story, she may want to get a dating ultrasound because
if they go by the date of her last menstrual period she'd be
way off.

I'd probably call and make an appointment for around 7 weeks
(the scheduler doesn't know how pregnant you are), then
ask for a dating ultrasound at the appointment, that should
get you one at 8-10 weeks which is a good time to be able to
see something and get an accurate age ofthe baby.

Mary W.

Old August 25th 05, 01:23 PM
hobbes

"gina" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Well, it's really normal for them to not want to see you until 8-10 weeks
along--all my experiences have been that way. But given the fact that you
haven't had a period since April, I think you're in rather a unique
situation. I'd call and explain and see if they don't want you to come in
sooner, just to see what might show up at this point.

The other question--at just how early in conception do those tests pick
up your hormones? I figure I'm about 3 weeks based on symptoms and
testing, but since they're not going to figure it out, I guess I'd
better. Advice?

Well, I took an early indicator test at exactly 3 weeks (because I was
feeling queasy for the past three days and every other time we tried, we got
pregnant the first month--I had reason to be suspicious), and I think there
was a line, but it was so faint, I didn't want to make too much out of it.
So using the same brand (2 came in a box), I tested again 5 days later, and
there was no doubt about it at all. I'm just starting my 4th week now. Is
that at all helpful? FWIW, based on my first two pregnancies, when I was
charting and paying more attention, I think I ovulate fairly early in the
cycle, and have relatively short cycles.

Also FWIW, Shettles worked for us last time.

--
Jodi
SAHM to Oliver (4 years),

Old August 25th 05, 01:29 PM
Ericka Kammerer

gina wrote:
[...]

Well, you don't really want to hang out at a practice that you
don't have good feelings about, but it is quite common not to see
someone until they're 8-10 weeks along. I'm surprised they sent
you home when you already had an appointment, though.

The other question--at just how early in conception do those tests pick
up your hormones? I figure I'm about 3 weeks based on symptoms and
testing, but since they're not going to figure it out, I guess I'd
better. Advice?

Why do you say they're not going to figure it out? It's not
unreasonable to do a dating scan at 8-10 weeks. Depending
on which test, you can get a positive test anywhere from
12-ish DPO on out.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old August 25th 05, 02:18 PM
Nikki

gina wrote:

They don't even want to see me
until I'm 8-10 weeks along. I don't know about you ladies, but have
you ever heard this before???

I didn't see the doc until 12 weeks for my first two. They can't do much
before that anyway. This new doc I'll be seeing does want to see me
earlier. I think it is kind of a pain actually!

They aren't even going to try and
figure out how far along I am.

They can do that when they see you. I had dating ultrasounds with both my
other pregnancies sometimes between 12 and 16 weeks.

Please tell me I'm not crazy for not
wanting to see this practice again...

If you don't like it there find some place else. You have plenty of time.
Other places may not see you until later either though as that is typical.
You could call the nurse and explain your extenuating circumstances and
perhaps they would schedule you earlier.

The other question--at just how early in conception do those tests
pick up your hormones?

I tested this time 19 days after conception and got a positive. I conceived
fairly early in my cycle I think. That could have been a shorter time
frame.

Congrats on the pg :-)
--
Nikki
Hunter 4/99

Old August 25th 05, 02:39 PM

Seems pretty normal to me. I have three kids, and never saw the OB or
midwife prior to that 10 week mark.

I mean, what would the point be? You are so early that they couldn't do
much to confirm dates (i.e. you can't even see a heartbeat at this
point on ultrasound). They also can't do anything to predict viability
either. You don't need the high priced help to tell you are pregnant -
the drugstore test has already given you all the info you are going to
get OR need for the immediate weeks.

See this for what they can see at what point
http://www.childbirth.org/articles/EUE.html

M.

Old August 25th 05, 02:52 PM
oregonchick

"gina" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I found out I was pregnant with an early home pregnancy test, it came back
positive several days before my period was due. I called the doc, and I
didn't go in to see her until I was about 8 or 9 weeks along. There just
isn't any reason to unless you are high risk. It might seem weird,
especially if you've never been pregnant before and you are looking for
reassurance. Be comforted with knowing that we've been doing this for
millions of years, and 99.9% of the time would probably survive without ANY
ob appts!

Betsy