what is the basis for women wanting to delay cutting cord?

Old August 25th 05, 11:05 PM
oregonchick

Default what is the basis for women wanting to delay cutting cord?

I am completely ignorant to the pros or cons of cutting the cord immediately
at delivery. No one ever told me there was a difference, so with my
daughter I didn't think twice about it. I see alot of stuff posted here and
wonder if it's medically or religiously based, or what?

Betsy

Old August 25th 05, 11:47 PM
Todd Gastaldo

in article , oregonchick at
wrote on 8/25/05 3:05 PM:

I am completely ignorant to the pros or cons of cutting the cord immediately
at delivery. No one ever told me there was a difference, so with my
daughter I didn't think twice about it. I see alot of stuff posted here and
wonder if it's medically or religiously based, or what?

Betsy

The medical religion does it - so it's both medically AND religiously based.

It's the medical religion's MOST frequent surgery.

Retired obstetrician George Malcolm Morley, MB ChB FACOG is the foremost
authority and if you visit his site (
www.cordclamping.com), you will find
PLENTY of reasons not to clamp and cut immediately.

Also at www.cordclamping.com, you might run across Dr. Morley's essay about
how most women do NOT wish to cut their baby's cord. It revulses most
women, I think Dr. Morley remarked.

For further details - including Dr. Morley's bizarre TEMPORARY baby
asphyxiationn experiment...

See Babies, the CIA and obstetric health fraud
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...t/message/3829

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo
Hillsboro, Oregon

PS I am a doctor of chiropractic. Bizarrely, the chiropractic religion is
silent about the medical religion's bizarre behaviors. As suggested in the
"Babies, the CIA" post just cited, silence of the chiropractic religion has
cost me dearly. My fellow chiro priests really let me - and babies - down.
The two religions have a conspiracy going I am afraid. It might best be
called "business as usual - babies be damned."

Old August 26th 05, 12:18 AM
Ericka Kammerer

oregonchick wrote:
I am completely ignorant to the pros or cons of cutting the cord immediately
at delivery. No one ever told me there was a difference, so with my
daughter I didn't think twice about it. I see alot of stuff posted here and
wonder if it's medically or religiously based, or what?

If you cut the cord immediately, a lot of the baby's blood is left
in the cord and placenta. If you wait until the cord stops pulsating
before you cut it, more of that nicely oxygenated blood (along with
its iron stores) will be in your baby instead. In rare cases, it may
be desirable to keep that blood away from the baby. There are
also some situations which may necessitate early cord clamping
(e.g., cord is too tighly wrapped around the baby's neck to
deliver the baby without cutting the cord). But in the majority
of cases, that blood is helpful to the baby and can be as much as
50 percent of the baby's total blood volume. Studies show that
babies are less likely to be anemic months later with delayed
cord clamping. If babies are having difficulties starting to breathe,
that oxygenated blood can be especially useful.
If you want delayed cord clamping, you may need to be on
the ball to ensure that happens. Many doctors are not up to date
on current research and think that all babies are better off with
immediate cord clamping, or just do it that way because that's
what they're accustomed to doing.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old August 26th 05, 12:50 AM
Todd Gastaldo

snip
If you want delayed cord clamping, you may need to be on
the ball to ensure that happens.

For new readers...

Obstetricians, neonatologists and CNMwives are cleverly defining "delayed"
clamping as waiting 30 seconds.

They are pretending (I'm pretty sure) that neonatal resuscitation stations
can't be redesigned so that mother and baby can, if necessary, be wheeled
under/between - so that neonatologists can resuscitate the baby with his
natural oxygenation/transfusion device still attached.

Remember: Immediate cord clamping/cutting is euphemism for "amputating
mother from baby - anti-scientifically risking robbing up to 50% of the
baby's blood."

If you want truly delayed cord clamping, it is best to say "Do not clamp/cut
until the cord has stopped pulsating and my baby is pink and breathing and
not in need of resuscitation."

"Let the placenta come out then clamp" is another way to express your desire
for truly delayed cord clamping.

Many doctors are not up to date
on current research and think that all babies are better off with
immediate cord clamping, or just do it that way because that's
what they're accustomed to doing.

Best wishes,

It is a CRIME to rob up to 50% of a baby's blood.

The Red Cross wouldn't even take 50% of someone's blood!

Many doctors are doing it after being explicitly informed that asphyxiating
babies and robbing massive amounts of blood from them is a crime.

The neonatologists literally "save" babies from the effects of immediate
cord clamping - no doubt about it - but they should be able to design
resuscitation stations that do not require amputation of mother from baby.

I suspect many doctors are extremely frightened that they could be
prosecuted finally.

It's the reason I call for pardons in advance for MDs. As med students, MDs
are TRAINED to perform rather obvious felonies.

Instead of simply calling for an end to the obvious mass child abuse,
retired obstetrician George Malcolm Morley, MB ChB FACOG urges his fellow
obstetricians to demonstrate to themselves why they should stop robbing
babies of blood - by temporarily asphyxiating them...

Here is Dr. Morley's temporary baby asphyxiation experiment....

"[T]he umbilical cord [is] immediately closed between finger and thumb...The
[fetal heart rate/FHR] will decelerate quickly to about 60 bpm...the color
will change from purple-pink (normal at birth) to pallid blue
(vaso-constriction and asphyxia.)...Few midwives or obstetricians will be
able to observe, without interference, a deep, prolonged FHR deceleration on
a non-breathing newborn for a period of 60 seconds.* Common sense will soon
release the finger and thumb."
http://www.cordclamping.com/acog-cp.htm

Incredible. Criminal.

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo
Hillsboro, Oregon

Old August 26th 05, 01:52 AM
oregonchick

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
oregonchick wrote:
[...]

Makes sense. Thanks for the info, I had no idea. This isn't something I've
ever heard discussed in pregnancy classes or appointments. I wonder why?

Old August 26th 05, 04:06 AM
Kmom

On the flip side is neonatal polycythemia:

Hypertransfusion
Delayed cord clamping allows for an increased blood volume to be
delivered to the infant. When cord clamping is delayed more than 3
minutes after birth, blood volume increases 30%.

Old August 26th 05, 08:47 AM
Unadulterated Me

Kmom wrote:
On the flip side is neonatal polycythemia:

Hypertransfusion
Delayed cord clamping allows for an increased blood volume to be
delivered to the infant. When cord clamping is delayed more than 3
minutes after birth, blood volume increases 30%.

I doubt it's detrimental in any way though. I had an accreta after
Oscars birth and as it didn't detach because the vessels had grown into
my uterine wall he had blood pumped into him for about 45 minutes after
he was born. He did get a little jaundiced later but nothing to write
home about.

Andrea
Old August 26th 05, 12:30 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Kmom wrote:
On the flip side is neonatal polycythemia:

Hypertransfusion
Delayed cord clamping allows for an increased blood volume to be
delivered to the infant. When cord clamping is delayed more than 3
minutes after birth, blood volume increases 30%.

However, several studies have found that delayed cord
clamping doesn't seem to have negative effects in general:

http://tinyurl.com/apzto
http://tinyurl.com/bef2x
http://tinyurl.com/b5b5a
http://tinyurl.com/9nuft
http://tinyurl.com/bnlpq

....and more

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old August 26th 05, 12:41 PM
Anne Rogers

there is also the fact that early cord clamping is linked with giving
syntometrine to deliver the placenta, usually people are told they are
giving them an injection to stop them from bleeding, which is true, giving
syntometrine does reduce postpartum haemorage, what they fail to mention is
that it increases the risk of retained placenta, because it causes the
cervix to close faster than it would usually. And what people completely
fail to mention is that a bad reaction to the drug is not that uncommon, I
knew nothing about it until it happened to me (and that was after I had told
them not to give me the drug), I was very sick and had to have drugs for
that, I was longer on the delivery unit recovering from that than people who
had had c-sections, completely different from not doing that 2nd time around
and being absolutely fine to go home after a much more difficult birth.

The other thing is, if you don't clamp the cord, no one can take the baby
away, so you get your bonding time, if you make it clear what you want it's
possible to do most checks with baby on your tummy.

Anne

Old August 26th 05, 04:15 PM
Kmom

I have no platform against delayed cord clamping, the vast majority of
the time it's a great thing and personally my last few babies have had
the benefit of it, I was just pointing out that there is a possible
negative side.
My son did have neonatal polycythemia and with immediate cord clamping
( we believe he was dehydrated when he was born). It was a pretty lousy
24 hours for him (and me) and he did have enough jaundice we had home
health nurses for a week after he was born.