FAO Todd

Old August 26th 05, 07:56 AM
Me Myself and I

Default FAO Todd

Todd thought you might be interested in a passage from an old book I have
been reading. (One of my pass times is reading old books) The book is
called What A Young Husband Ought To Know By Sylvanus Stall, D.D. and was
written in 1897.

Chapter XVI : When The Baby Is Born (Pg 251) of the book says :

"When the pulsing in the cord has ceased and the child has cried vigorously,
any nurse who as been present at previous confinements, who is intelligent
and capable, would be able to sever the cord after having made the necessary
bindings upon it. Indeed some authorities contend that when the pulsing has
ceased the cord may be severed without any tying of the ends at all"

So over a hundred years ago they were saying to leave the cord till it's
ceased pulsating. Wonder when the rest of the medical world will catch on

--
Pip

My premmies :
Abby - 6 1/2 months old and what a flirt
Jasmine - 3 1/2 and not the "Devils Child" anymore. Solution? I stopped
yelling at her

Old August 26th 05, 08:50 AM
Todd Gastaldo

in article , Me Myself and I at
wrote on 8/25/05 11:56 PM:

Todd thought you might be interested in a passage from an old book I have
been reading. (One of my pass times is reading old books) The book is
called What A Young Husband Ought To Know By Sylvanus Stall, D.D. and was
written in 1897.

Chapter XVI : When The Baby Is Born (Pg 251) of the book says :

"When the pulsing in the cord has ceased and the child has cried vigorously,
any nurse who as been present at previous confinements, who is intelligent
and capable, would be able to sever the cord after having made the necessary
bindings upon it. Indeed some authorities contend that when the pulsing has
ceased the cord may be severed without any tying of the ends at all"

So over a hundred years ago they were saying to leave the cord till it's
ceased pulsating. Wonder when the rest of the medical world will catch on

Thanks Pip!

Here's another early quote:

"Another thing very injurious to the child, is the tying and cutting of the
navel string too soon; which should always be left till the child has not
only repeatedly breathed but till all pulsation in the cord ceases. As
otherwise the child is much weaker than it ought to be, a portion of the
blood being left in the placenta, which ought to have been in the child."
Erasmus Darwin, (Charles Darwin¹s grandfather) Zoonomia, 1801
http://www.cordclamping.com/

Todd

PS I, too, love old books. I have spent many an hour in dusty used book
stores. Another great place to read interesting old stuff is in the stacks
at medical schools. Years ago, I would spend evenings in the Oregon Health
Sciences University medical library stacks - but now there is a new medical
library and the stacks are closed. One needs to know what one wants and ask
a librarian to find it - no browsing. A pity...

Old August 26th 05, 08:58 AM
Me Myself and I

"Todd Gastaldo" wrote in message
in article ,

snip:

Thanks Pip!

Your welcome

Here's another early quote:

"Another thing very injurious to the child, is the tying and cutting of

the
navel string too soon; which should always be left till the child has not
only repeatedly breathed but till all pulsation in the cord ceases. As
otherwise the child is much weaker than it ought to be, a portion of the
blood being left in the placenta, which ought to have been in the child."
Erasmus Darwin, (Charles Darwin¹s grandfather) Zoonomia, 1801
http://www.cordclamping.com/

Todd

Wow the Darwin's sure had their sh*t together

PS I, too, love old books. I have spent many an hour in dusty used book
stores. Another great place to read interesting old stuff is in the

stacks
at medical schools. Years ago, I would spend evenings in the Oregon

Health
Sciences University medical library stacks - but now there is a new

medical
library and the stacks are closed. One needs to know what one wants and

ask
a librarian to find it - no browsing. A pity...

OMG and me, I love old medical textbooks. Especially ones with pictures of
diseases (goitres etc), for some bizarre reason

Now that's sad there is no more browsing. What's the point of books if they
aren't going to be read.

If you ever see the book I mentioned I thoroughly recommend it, it really is
a splendid read.

Old August 26th 05, 11:46 AM
Chookie

In article ,
"Me Myself and I" wrote:

Now that's sad there is no more browsing. What's the point of books if they
aren't going to be read.

Speaking as a librarian, it's probably because they need the room. Stacks
take less space than open library areas do, and prevent theft of valuable old
books.

You just need to search the catalogue by PUBDATE 1900 (or whatever year
takes your fancy)

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.
Old August 26th 05, 11:58 AM
Anne Rogers

Todd thought you might be interested in a passage from an old book I have
been reading. (One of my pass times is reading old books) The book is
called What A Young Husband Ought To Know By Sylvanus Stall, D.D. and was
written in 1897.

There is a similar book, what a young wife ought to know, hilarious reading,
but emminently sensible, though I plain laughed at the comment that
childbirth shouldn't hurt til you start pushing!

Also suggests that young boys should hold there mothers hands in labour, so
they learn what their mother went through for them and can be thankful for
it!

Anne

Old August 26th 05, 02:50 PM
Todd Gastaldo

in article , Me Myself and I at
wrote on 8/26/05 12:58 AM:

"Todd Gastaldo" wrote in message
in article ,

snip:

Thanks Pip!

Your welcome

Here's another early quote:

"Another thing very injurious to the child, is the tying and cutting of

the
navel string too soon; which should always be left till the child has not
only repeatedly breathed but till all pulsation in the cord ceases. As
otherwise the child is much weaker than it ought to be, a portion of the
blood being left in the placenta, which ought to have been in the child."
Erasmus Darwin, (Charles Darwin¹s grandfather) Zoonomia, 1801
http://www.cordclamping.com/

Todd

Wow the Darwin's sure had their sh*t together

Darwin (and Wallace) definitely changed the course of scientific thought.

PS I, too, love old books. I have spent many an hour in dusty used book
stores. Another great place to read interesting old stuff is in the

stacks
at medical schools. Years ago, I would spend evenings in the Oregon

Health
Sciences University medical library stacks - but now there is a new

medical
library and the stacks are closed. One needs to know what one wants and

ask
a librarian to find it - no browsing. A pity...

OMG and me, I love old medical textbooks. Especially ones with pictures of
diseases (goitres etc), for some bizarre reason

The pictures are indeed especially fascinating.

Now that's sad there is no more browsing. What's the point of books if they
aren't going to be read.

Browsing certainly gets the bound journals/textbooks in the stacks read a
lot more frequently by me - because when I find one article in an old
journal, there is a good chance (I've found) that there will be another one
or more articles of interest in the same issue or volume of the journal. I
go rather rapidly through volumes when I am in the stacks. That simply
isn't possible when one has to ask the librarian to go across the street and
bring this volume or that to the library. Helen/Chookie, the librarian, hit
the nail on the head when she mentioned vandalism/theft. That is reportedly
what happened here in the medical school stacks. Not even medical students
attending the medical school can browse (or so I was told) - and - with all
due respect to librarians everywhere - there is simply no substitute for
browsing stacks directly rather than browsing a catalogue. Just personal
opinion though.

If you ever see the book I mentioned I thoroughly recommend it, it really is
a splendid read.

I hope to see it some day.

Again, thank you Pip for quoting it.

Todd

Old August 26th 05, 03:08 PM
Todd Gastaldo

in article ,
Chookie at
wrote on 8/26/05 3:46 AM:

In article ,
"Me Myself and I" wrote:

Now that's sad there is no more browsing. What's the point of books if they
aren't going to be read.

Speaking as a librarian, it's probably because they need the room. Stacks
take less space than open library areas do, and prevent theft of valuable old
books.

You mean ALL stacks are no longer browsable?

I used to browse in the med school stacks at Stanford University and UCSF
years ago, before I moved to Oregon.

(There were always though "VERY old, valuable books" collections (my
phraseology) that were off limits to free browsing.)

You just need to search the catalogue by PUBDATE 1900 (or whatever year
takes your fancy)

Interposing (between me and the stacks) a catalogue, a librarian and filling
out a slip of paper - well that is cruel and unusual punishment. : )

It was SO cool when I could browse...

If I found a reference in one old volume - I walked right over and found it
instantly.

So many serendipitous discoveries!

Here is my all-time favorite:

Harvard obstetrician Arthur B. Emmons, MD wrote in 1913:

"[M]oving backward of the tip of the sacrum...enlarges the
available space not merely directly in proportion to the distance backward,
but more nearly by the square of that distance." [Emmons, AB. A study of the
variations in the female pelvis, based on observations made on 217 specimens
of the
American Indian squaw. Biometrika 1913; 9:34-47.]

Todd

Old August 26th 05, 05:31 PM

Todd Gastaldo writes:

: Births (and deaths/old age) are now hidden from most children in our
: culture.

: That might be a big mistake.

That might be an understatement!!! :-)

Larry