Divorced fathers testify about child support

Old May 14th 04, 07:47 PM
Editor - Child Support News

Default Divorced fathers testify about child support

http://www.projo.com/ap/ne/1084559025.htm

05.14.2004 2:23 P.M.
Divorced fathers testify about child support
The Associated Press
PLYMOUTH, N.H. (AP) - Divorced fathers testified about the challenges of
paying child support and abiding by judges' orders during a hearing before
the Legislative Commission on Child Support.

"I was essentially ordered into bankruptcy," said Doug Madsen of Dover said
at the Plymouth Regional Senior Center on Thursday. He said the marital
master presiding over his case didn't look at his financial statement.

"Judges need to be accountable when they order child support. They should
sign some sort of statement that they did read financial affidavits for both
parents and that child support is based on what the parent can pay," Madsen
said.

Several of those testifying said they would support a debit card system that
both parents could draw against for purchases limited to their children's
needs.

"My hard-earned money is funding my ex-wife's new house and new car,"
Jeffrey Twombly said. "I have my daughter 40 to 50 percent of the time but I
pay $158 per week in child support plus her dance lessons, costumes,
snowboard lessons. I'm never in a million years going to be able to pay for
college."

Regarding custody, "the court should start with 50 percent custody and zero
child support unless there are extenuating circumstances," said Jim Ward of
New London. "There should be a formula that takes discretion away from the
marital masters and a system that leads to character assassination and a
search for the bad guy."

"What should that formula be?" asked Rep. David Bickford, R-New Durham,
commisson chairman.

"I don't know," said Ward.

The commission must report to the Legislature by Dec. 1.

Psychiatrist Stevan Gressitt of Unity, Maine, testified about the high
number of prescriptions to children for Attention Deficit Hyperactive
Disorder.

"Our research shows there is a direct correlation between these
prescriptions and divorce," he said. He said the systems focus on assessing
child-support payments rather than assuring the child has two viable parents
puts the non-custodial parent in an "unreasonable situation."

"The incentive is for the custodial parent to prove the non-custodial parent
is a bad guy in order to get the maximum child support," he said. "The
non-custodial parent is in an unreasonable situation and unreasonable acts
follow."

Information from: Citizen, http://www.fosters.com/citizen