BABY IS NOT GAINING WEIGHT

Old December 5th 03, 04:51 AM
javalearner

Default BABY IS NOT GAINING WEIGHT

my baby boy was 2.62kg at his birth...now he is 11 month old and 9kg.
doctors said that he was in 30% kids when he was born but now he is in
10% kids. he is growing in 10% kids rate...there was little problems
regarding his eating means he was not eating at all, he started eating
in his 10th month.....but now he is taking as much as he can...i never
leave his tummy empty.
my question is that why he is not gaining weight? he is taking
balanced food...
1 vegge&chicken baby food bottle small one
4TBL spoons of cereals with half of banana or some other fruit
60ml juice
600ml formula milk in a day
2Tbl spoons of friut salad
full breast feed at night.

i think that much food is enought for a 11 month baby......if u have
any advice then plz tell me what should i give it to him so that he
can gain weight, he is not too skiny but he has no fat in his
body..everything else is fine.
thanks in advance
cheers
Old December 5th 03, 05:13 AM
Nina

It is possible that he is going to be small and is just now leveling out. My
son and daughter were both in the 90th adn above percentiles for weight at
birth, after a while my son slowly dropped. He was a big baby but wasnt
meant to be a large child. My daughter was large for a while, she is now 8
and off the charts for her height, but merely 50% for weight.
I would cut out the juice. It seems that the fruit salad AND half a banana
AND juice are too much. Perhaps add a meat and a vegetable instead.
om...

Old December 5th 03, 11:13 AM
Clisby

javalearner wrote:
[...]

Maybe he's just naturally small at this point. My son was in the 25th
percentile at birth, the 10th percentile by the time he was a year old,
and at 18 months was in the 5th percentile. The doctor wasn't concerned
(his height was also in the 5th percentile, so he was perfectly
proportioned.)

Clisby

Old December 5th 03, 11:13 AM
Heather

In article ,
(javalearner) wrote:

[...]

Well, all children are different. However, around that age weight gain
does slow down some and maybe that's what you're seeing. From what your
posting, I don't see anything to really worry about, but it appears that
you are very concerned. I can understand that. My daughter has always
been in the 5th - 10th percentile for weight and height. She's smaller
than all of the kids in her age group at daycare and some of the kids
from the age group below her.

At 11 months, my daughter started eating more table foods, but she was
still getting primary nutrition from breast milk. She didn't have any
juice until 2 months ago and she is 18mo. now. Right now she's getting
ready to grow taller because she's been eating like we forgot to feed
her for two weeks and getting that telltale little pot belly. Even
though her shape changes like that, she gains very little weight at a
time. She's right around 20 pounds.

Heather H.
Old December 5th 03, 01:05 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

Remember that a baby's size at birth has very little to do with his size
as a baby or child.

Birth size and weight has a lot to do with when the baby is born
(relative to due date), maternal health, and the genetics of getting
born.

Baby size and weight has nothing to do with those factors, but instead
depends upon the genes passed on from his parents. What were you and
your husband like as babies? Was either of you, or a close relative, on
the skinny side? If so, just remember you can't fight genetics! Maybe
your baby is *supposed* to be small.

If your baby is producing plenty of diapers and is developing well in
all other respects, and your family history would suggest that
skinniness is normal, then I wouldn't fret too much. Stay in touch with
your ped., of course, since there are some medical conditions that can
keep babies underweight, but these conditions usually have other
symptoms as well.

My two cents,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old December 5th 03, 06:15 PM
javalearner

"Nina" wrote in message et...
It is possible that he is going to be small and is just now leveling out. My
son and daughter were both in the 90th adn above percentiles for weight at
birth, after a while my son slowly dropped. He was a big baby but wasnt
meant to be a large child. My daughter was large for a while, she is now 8
and off the charts for her height, but merely 50% for weight.
I would cut out the juice. It seems that the fruit salad AND half a banana
AND juice are too much. Perhaps add a meat and a vegetable instead.

Thanks for give me your advice.....i'll cut the juice and wont give
him banana and fruit salad together in one day......either banana or
fruit salad in one day so that he can take more meat or vegge. it
helps him to get healthier. if u have more suggestions for baby food
then plz tell me as this is my first baby and i have no lady here from
my family who can take care of him with me....my son little fussy in
eating he wants everything sweet. is that ok to give him everything
sweet....i mean not too sweet but little sweet...as he doesn't like
vegge&chicken as avalable in baby bottle , i have to add little sugar
in that and then he take it.
banana,mangoshake,milkshake,icecream,cake,all sweet things he wants to
eat....is that ok to give him this type of food?
i will ask u few more questions next time regarding his food if u
don't mind.
thanks
cheers
Old December 5th 03, 06:29 PM
Leslie

as he doesn't like
vegge&chicken as avalable in baby bottle , i have to add little sugar
in that and then he take it.

I wouldn't encourage that, or you may end up with a child who only wants to
eat sweets. I suggest that whatever you have been adding sugar to, you slowly
reduce the amount you are adding until you aren't adding any. For example, if
you are adding one tablespoon right now, tomorrow only add two teaspoons and
do that for a couple of days, then move down to one, then to one-half, etc.
And give him some naturally sweet choices like sweet potatoes and carrots.

Other "healthier" sweets could be yogurt smoothies or fruit smoothies.

Leslie
Old December 5th 03, 06:41 PM
Nina

"javalearner" wrote in message
om...
"Nina" wrote in message

et...
[...]

I wouldnt give a baby sweets, but I also know its a cultural thing and in
some places babies eat more sweets that they do here.
I woudlnt add sugar to the meat. I would add a sweet vegetable like carrots
or sweet potato.
I wouldnt give much ice cream or milkshakes. Maybe some mango or banana
blended with yogurt.

Old December 5th 03, 06:41 PM
Nina

"Leslie" wrote in message
as he doesn't like
vegge&chicken as avalable in baby bottle , i have to add little sugar
in that and then he take it.

I wouldn't encourage that, or you may end up with a child who only wants

eat sweets. I suggest that whatever you have been adding sugar to, you

slowly
reduce the amount you are adding until you aren't adding any. For

example, if
you are adding one tablespoon right now, tomorrow only add two teaspoons

and
do that for a couple of days, then move down to one, then to one-half,

etc.
And give him some naturally sweet choices like sweet potatoes and carrots.

Other "healthier" sweets could be yogurt smoothies or fruit smoothies.

Leslie

Hey! Thats what I said

Old December 5th 03, 09:15 PM
Naomi Pardue

my baby boy was 2.62kg at his birth...now he is 11 month old and 9kg.
doctors said that he was in 30% kids when he was born but now he is in
10% kids. he is growing in 10% kids rate..

This sounds perfectly fine to me. Not all babies stay at the percentile they
were born at. Both 30% and 10% are on the small side, but, as long as he is
healthy otherwise, nothing to worry about. He's gained about 6 1/2 kilos in 11
months which averages over a kilo a month, which sounds just fine to me. (And
the difference in weight between 30% and 10% at this age is only about half a
kilo, not a huge amount.)

there was little problems
regarding his eating means he was not eating at all, he started eating
in his 10th month.....but now he is taking as much as he can...i never
leave his tummy empty.

my question is that why he is not gaining weight?

If he has gained 6 1/2 K, then he HAS been eating, and IS gaining weight. Late
in the first year it is normal for babies to gain weight very slowly, so you
may not see much, (or any) weight gain between 10 and 11 months.

1 vegge&chicken baby food bottle small one
4TBL spoons of cereals with half of banana or some other fruit
60ml juice
600ml formula milk in a day
2Tbl spoons of friut salad
full breast feed at night.

It's hard to get a good sense here of how much he is getting, but my sense is
that he isn't getting much milk (unless he's taking in a LOT of breastmilk in
his night nursing sessions.) Will he take more milk if you offer? Can you
nurse him during the day as well as at night?
I'd hold off on the juice. I know that 60 ml isn't much, but it's just empty
calories and not very calorie dense, so he'd be better off with more milk
(breast or formula) or a solid food snack.
Also, any particular reason he's still on babyfood? By 11 months, most babies
should be able to eat table foods. He may be more interested in solids (and eat
more) if you offer him "real food" .. like the stuff that you are eating.

But, the main thing to remember is that babies, in general, know how much food
they need. Offer him food often. Let him eat as much as he wants. (Ideally,
there should always be a little milk left in the bottle or a little food left
on the plate, so you know he's had as much as he wishes.) He won't starve
himself, and he may just be meant to be a small child.

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)