Help! Is it too late for me?

Old March 24th 04, 02:44 AM
shanihn

Default Help! Is it too late for me?

A little background.
I have 6 week old twins. We got off to a bad start in the hospital,
because of poor positioning. At 4 days post-partum, I ended up with
traumatized, bleeding nipples. I had to stop nursing, and pump full
time. After my nipples healed, i got thrush. When I had that under
control, I got a plugged duct. After that resolved, a cracked nipple.
Then, I started getting vasospasms in my nipples (painful
contractions of the capillaries).
If that wasn't enough, one of my boys has a high palate, and has
trouble maintaining suction when he nurses. As a result, his nursing
sessions are long and frequently unsatisfying. I also have an 18
month old who requires attention.
I have yet to build up enough of a supply for both, so I have to
supplement. (This is despite taking Reglan and Fenugreek, pumping,
etc.
After a horrible night last night, I decided (for the umpteenth time)
to give up breastfeeding. I didn't nurse today, and only pumped 2x to
relieve the engorgement. It was a disaster, so around 4pm, I nursed
both boys.
I now want to continue. I'm hoping that if I increase my Reglan dose
(I'm currently on the lowest dose), take Fenugreek again, increase my
calorie intake to 3000 calories, increase my fluids, and spend this
weekend doing nothing but nursing, I can increase my supply. Also, I
hope to work with Jack, the poor nurser, to get more effective.
How is not nursing today going to affect my supply? Is there any hope
that I can get my supply up from enough for 1 to enough for 2 this
weekend? I say this weekend, because my mother, father, and husband
will all be here, leaving me free to do nothing but nurse, rest, and
eat.
Does anyone have any other suggestions for increasing my supply? How
about hints or suggestions for a baby with a high palate, or one that
loses suction throughout the nursing session?
Thanks!
Well,
Old March 24th 04, 02:47 AM
nina

"shanihn" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Lie in bed, a baby at each breast and nurse them round the clock. Have
someone bring u food and drink, and just leave the babies attached as long
as you can.

Old March 24th 04, 04:37 AM
CY

See a lactation consultant asap. You are doing all the right things. You
can also try eating oatmeal and taking Domperidone. It's never too late!!
Seriously though , a lactation consulatant could really help, especially
with the high plate. It would also give you a support person to call
whenever you feel like giving up. If you can get recommendations for a good
LC that would be best, but definitely make sure she's IBCLC.

Good luck and congrats on your twins!!

CY

Old March 24th 04, 07:33 AM
Ellie

Lie in bed, a baby at each breast and nurse them round the clock. Have
someone bring u food and drink, and just leave the babies attached as long
as you can.

Yep, that's what I did with my twins - only we were on the couch because it
was more comfortable to get into a better position for tandem nursing.

They are nearly 6 months old now and still nursing. You can do it. I take
fenugreek, eat plenty of oatmeal and drink lots of water and this helps to
keep my supply where it should be.

Ellie

DS & DD nearly 6 months old already.

Query : Late Period Kazh Pregnancy 20 July 26th 04 04:31 PM
Ashley's Birth Story (a bit late) LONG kandie s Pregnancy 3 May 16th 04 05:53 PM
How do you manage late pregnancy exams? Shelly Pregnancy 24 January 24th 04 01:58 AM
being late Robyn Kozierok General (moderated) 27 September 2nd 03 02:09 PM
Too late to correct a bad latch? ted Breastfeeding 5 July 11th 03 08:58 PM