Is it just my daughter (food related)?

Old December 6th 03, 12:02 AM
Melissa

Default Is it just my daughter (food related)?

DD is nearing on eight months and still refuses to eat anything solid. We've
tried mashed food, jarred food (smoother than I can make it), chunks of
solid food and even teething biscuits (I know, they're a choking hazard) and
nothing works. She either purses her lips (she's a stubborn one) or, in the
case of chunks of stuff, spits it out intact. The whole thing is kind of
funny because she's been so stubborn about it. Her first tooth is just
starting to come in, but she's been like this since we started giving her
solids (or attempting to) at six months. We backed off for a while on
feeding because it seemed to upset her stomach. Now, however, she seems fine
with the little bit we can get into her (about 1/2 Tbsp.) but it takes
forever and it doesn't seem like much fun for anyone.

So, what I'd like to know is (a) did anyone else have this issue and (b) is
there anything I can do to encourage her to eat or (c) will she eat at some
point on her own? Should I keep trying or give up for a week or so and try
again? Any other suggestions? Aside from the little bit of food she's eaten
(rice cereal, peas, yams, apples, bananas) she's exclusively bf'd.

TIA

--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

Old December 6th 03, 01:06 AM
iphigenia

Melissa wrote:
So, what I'd like to know is (a) did anyone else have this issue and
(b) is there anything I can do to encourage her to eat or (c) will
she eat at some point on her own?

Yes, it's very common. I've posted a number of times about my son's
experience with solids:
http://tinyurl.com/xy7q

--
tristyn
www.tristyn.net

Old December 6th 03, 03:08 AM
Sara

Melissa wrote:

So, what I'd like to know is (a) did anyone else have this issue and (b) is
there anything I can do to encourage her to eat or (c) will she eat at some
point on her own?

Ollie suddenly got interested in solids this week, at 13 months. We've
been offering him solids (either baby food or small bits of adult
food) since six months, and three days ago he started chowing down.

I'm amused by what he likes: favorite foods so far include gorgonzola
and saag paneer. (He cried with his first bite of saag paneer -- it's
a bit spicy -- then reached out for more. More tears, more reaching,
then just eating eating eating.)

--
Sara, accompanied by the drooling barnacle
Old December 6th 03, 03:23 AM
Beth

"Melissa" wrote in message
So, what I'd like to know is (a) did anyone else have this issue and

Yes, DS pursed his lips and refused food for a long time.

(b) is
there anything I can do to encourage her to eat or

Just offer her food, but don't force it. She mustn't be made to feel that
food is worth fighting over.

(c) will she eat at some
point on her own?

Yes, she will. My DS suddenly began to pack it in (literally, sometimes) at
11 months.

Should I keep trying or give up for a week or so and try
again?

That's what I used to do--I got sick of wasting prepared baby food, or
eating it myself. What a pain to express milk for his cereal and not have
him eat even a molecule of it . . .

Any other suggestions?

Yes. Take it easy and don't worry that she is not eating. Try to enjoy
your present liberation from packing food, washing baby dishes and bibs,
really stinky diapers, and so forth. Although your milk alone is perfect
for her now and for the next several months, she's not going to let you off
this easy for long :-)

Beth
(Mama to Ted, age 12 mos.)

Old December 6th 03, 04:55 AM
Melissa

"iphigenia" wrote ...
Melissa wrote:
So, what I'd like to know is (a) did anyone else have this issue and
(b) is there anything I can do to encourage her to eat or (c) will
she eat at some point on her own?

Yes, it's very common. I've posted a number of times about my son's
experience with solids:
http://tinyurl.com/xy7q

So now I'm even more concerned. I was hoping to wean at about a year (I'm
hoping to be pg by then and remember those o-so-painful breasts) but if
she's not eating food then I guess I won't be able to. Aaaargh! As much as I
like bf'ing more than the alternative (bottles, water, formula, etc.) I've
never loved it and DD's latch has never been consistently perfect so it's
never been consistently pain free. I was actually kind of looking forward to
weaning in a few months so that I'd have a few months of not-nursing before
the next one's born.
--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

Old December 6th 03, 03:40 PM
hobbes

So, what I'd like to know is (a) did anyone else have this issue and (b)

is
there anything I can do to encourage her to eat or (c) will she eat at

some
point on her own? Should I keep trying or give up for a week or so and try
again? Any other suggestions? Aside from the little bit of food she's

eaten
(rice cereal, peas, yams, apples, bananas) she's exclusively bf'd.

TIA

--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

/raises her hand

DD (a twin to yours) is the exact same way. It's been frustrating for me,
because DS was almost textbook in his interest in food, and was always up
for trying something new. It was so fun making food for him, and it's
terribly frustrating to make something for DD and end up washing it down the
drain. I can't even get DD to try something I think she'd love. If I'm
lucky, I can slip in maybe 3 or 4 little spoonfulls before she refuses to
open her mouth, but even then, I'm fooling her--she'll be sucking on a
finger or something and I pull it out and slip the spoon in. If I do get
food in, she almost always gags and spits it out. Every now and then she'll
swallow, but she never wants more.

I've heard enough people on this board talk about kids refusing to eat for
close to a year, so I'm trying to stay philosophical about the whole thing.
My strategy has been to offer when I feel up to it--sometimes once a day,
sometimes once a week. I try to stay happy and not make an emotional issue
out of it. I offer a combination of very pureed food on a spoon and very
soft finger foods (hoping she'll decide to put that piece of avocado in her
mouth the same way she eagerly shoved in a little dead leaf on the floor),
as well as a cracker here and there.

Anyway, no advice, but wanted you to know others are going through the same
thing. Maybe it has something to do with the day they were born . . .

--
Jodi
SAHM to Oliver (2 years, 9 months) & Arwen (7 months)

Old December 6th 03, 08:16 PM
Andrea

I was wondering if this is due to starting solids at a later age? Kami still
doesn't need solids, but I wonder if leaving it late is going to make it
harder to get him on them?

I think their memory becomes more developed so they only want the boobymilk,
but starting solids when they are more of a baby rather than a toddler may
help me?

It's a dilemma!

--
Andrea mom of 5 - latest addition Kamron David almost 6 months!

Old December 6th 03, 10:58 PM
H Schinske

andrea22_uk@ wrote:

I was wondering if this is due to starting solids at a later age? Kami still
doesn't need solids, but I wonder if leaving it late is going to make it
harder to get him on them?

Not from my experience. I started at six months with all my kids. The girls
dived in and ate a lot almost from the get-go. Peter was very ho-hum about
solids until about nine months, when he suddenly started stowing away in a
business-like fashion and ate a lot. You wouldn't have thought it possible if
you'd seen him pushing it away a few weeks earlier.

--Helen
Old December 7th 03, 05:42 AM
laurie

So, what I'd like to know is (a) did anyone else have this issue and (b) is
there anything I can do to encourage her to eat or (c) will she eat at some
point on her own? Should I keep trying or give up for a week or so and try
again? Any other suggestions?

Aside from the little bit of food she's eaten
(rice cereal, peas, yams, apples, bananas) she's exclusively bf'd.

TIA

Hi Melissa, I just posted about this in Phoebe's post!

Christopher really isn't into solids at all. He's 7.5 months. Jarred food,
forget it......maybe a bite or two, mostly he wants nothing to do with it.
Same with rice cereal. He does like a bit of real banana on his tray, not
spoon fed to him, or sometimes a whole pea squashed down flat, that kind of
thing. Also mashed carrots, but he likes to do it himself, or maybe off my
finger...not so much on a spoon! He'll take a bit of mashed potatoes, too.
He does like cheerios soaked in a tiny bit of breastmilk or apple juice if I
don't have any thawed BM, i break them in half and he picks them up or I give
them to him with my fingers.

As for the teething biscuits, don't be too disappointed. I tried them too, and
that was the one thing he really liked a lot. He choked at the Thanksgiving
table and I'll never give him another one. Scared the heck out of me!

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 2.5 years and
Christopher, 7.5 months
Old December 7th 03, 01:16 PM
Lara

Sara wrote:

Ollie suddenly got interested in solids this week, at 13 months. We've
been offering him solids (either baby food or small bits of adult
food) since six months, and three days ago he started chowing down.

Congratulations Ollie! What's the bet he remains silent until the age of
three, when he will suddenly turn to you and say "Pass me that saag
paneer, please Mummy. And I think I'd like a wee Guinness with that."

I'm amused by what he likes: favorite foods so far include gorgonzola
and saag paneer.

Heh. Luke likes, in no particular order: avocado, prosciutto, pat'e,
thinly shaved off-the-bone ham, aged Gruyere, Camembert, fresh
strawberries, and home-baked bread dipped in balsamic vinegar. He'll be
eating us out of house and home, if he ever decides to eat more than one
ounce of food at a time.

Lara