steroids safe to treat asthma in children?

Old May 12th 07, 07:07 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Workingmom

Default steroids safe to treat asthma in children?

Sarah Vaughan skrev:
Put it this way - if my child ever develops asthma, I will want him to
have a steroid inhaler after what I've read about the risks vs. benefits
(not to mention my own experience of better asthma control on them). No
doubt in my mind.

Very well put. Sometimes you can express things more elegantly when it's
in your mother tongue :-)

Thank you for writing what I would have done if I'd had the skills.

Tine, Denmark
Old May 12th 07, 11:37 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
NL

Sarah Vaughan wrote:
snip
The only likely side-effect is that, because some of the dose does end
up in the mouth on the way down, people on steroid inhalers are a little
more likely to get oral thrush. 'Likely' is probably the wrong word
because I can't offhand remember ever having seen a case in a young
child, but it's theoretically possible. However, if the inhaler does
benefit her lungs, then the long-term benefits from that well outweigh a
tiny extra chance of thrush.

I think that's why the instructions say to rinse the mouth with water
and not swallow the water after inhaling. Not that I ever remembered to
do that....

cu
nicole
Old May 12th 07, 11:52 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Workingmom

NL skrev:
Sarah Vaughan wrote:
snip
The only likely side-effect is that, because some of the dose does end
up in the mouth on the way down, people on steroid inhalers are a
little more likely to get oral thrush. 'Likely' is probably the wrong
word because I can't offhand remember ever having seen a case in a
young child, but it's theoretically possible. However, if the inhaler
does benefit her lungs, then the long-term benefits from that well
outweigh a tiny extra chance of thrush.

I think that's why the instructions say to rinse the mouth with water
and not swallow the water after inhaling. Not that I ever remembered to
do that....

cu
nicole

We always give the steroids to Niels (9 yo) just before brushing his teeth.

Tine, Denmark
Old May 12th 07, 10:27 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Sarah Vaughan

Workingmom wrote:
Sarah Vaughan skrev:
Put it this way - if my child ever develops asthma, I will want him to
have a steroid inhaler after what I've read about the risks vs.
benefits (not to mention my own experience of better asthma control on
them). No doubt in my mind.

Very well put. Sometimes you can express things more elegantly when it's
in your mother tongue :-)

Thank you for writing what I would have done if I'd had the skills.

I feel it's me who should be thanking you! Your post covered the
important points so well I almost didn't bother to write mine. ;-)

All the best,

Sarah
--
http://www.goodenoughmummy.typepad.com

"That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be" - P. C. Hodgell

Old May 13th 07, 07:56 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Workingmom

Sarah Vaughan skrev:
Workingmom wrote:
Sarah Vaughan skrev:
Put it this way - if my child ever develops asthma, I will want him
to have a steroid inhaler after what I've read about the risks vs.
benefits (not to mention my own experience of better asthma control
on them). No doubt in my mind.

Very well put. Sometimes you can express things more elegantly when
it's in your mother tongue :-)

Thank you for writing what I would have done if I'd had the skills.

I feel it's me who should be thanking you! Your post covered the
important points so well I almost didn't bother to write mine. ;-)

(BLUSH)

Tine, Denmark
Old May 14th 07, 10:29 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
nitu

Hi

My 11mth old DD was also given a steroid inhaler. She was coughing
for about 2 weeks when she naps and at bedtime, she would cough so
hard that she ended up vomiting milk. Anyway, we were told to use the
inhaler for about a week or until the cough is gone. We used it and
now for the past few days she hasn't coughed (thank god) so does this
mean we should take her off the medication?

Nitu

Old May 15th 07, 08:41 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Workingmom

nitu skrev:
Hi

My 11mth old DD was also given a steroid inhaler. She was coughing
for about 2 weeks when she naps and at bedtime, she would cough so
hard that she ended up vomiting milk. Anyway, we were told to use the
inhaler for about a week or until the cough is gone. We used it and
now for the past few days she hasn't coughed (thank god) so does this
mean we should take her off the medication?

Nitu

First and formost: Ask her doctor!!

Usually steroids are given profylactic over long periods of time. It
takes some time before it works, and the effect will last some time
after you stop.

You might try to stop - but start again immedeately if she starts
coughing again, I'd say.

Tine, Denmark, asthma patient and the mother of to asthmatic kids.
Old May 15th 07, 07:07 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
nitu

Thanks, I met with her regular pediatrician who suggested we give it
for 6 weeks as long as she improves. Since her coughing has gone
down, she said we could just give her one dose at night for a total of
six weeks.

Nitu

Old May 17th 07, 06:53 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
determined

"nitu" wrote in message
ps.com...
Thanks, I met with her regular pediatrician who suggested we give it
for 6 weeks as long as she improves. Since her coughing has gone
down, she said we could just give her one dose at night for a total of
six weeks.

Nitu

That is where we are too. The inhaler has helped it seems, but the cough is
not 100% gone. Doc wants us to continue for a few more weeks, but he has
lowered the dosage even farther. I hope it does the trick! The coughing
til she pukes routine got pretty old...